How do I find the signal?

Questions and Support related to Antennas & Cables
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related issues PRIOR to posting for assistance.
Emmettsolid
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How do I find the signal?

Post by Emmettsolid »

Any idea of how to get a signal with a 1700-2700MHz WiFi 4G LTE 15dBi Directional MIMO Antenna if I don't know exactly where the tower is?
I have a good idea but have yet to get signal with the external antenna that I can connect with.
I get ok signal with the stock antenna except for when it rains and fog so I know there is signal.
swwifty

Re: How do I find the signal?

Post by swwifty »

Emmettsolid wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:57 pm Any idea of how to get a signal with a 1700-2700MHz WiFi 4G LTE 15dBi Directional MIMO Antenna if I don't know exactly where the tower is?
I have a good idea but have yet to get signal with the external antenna that I can connect with.
I get ok signal with the stock antenna except for when it rains and fog so I know there is signal.
I'd use process of elimination.

Aim the antenna one direction, reset the modem, see if it connects.

If not, move it 45 degrees either left or right, reset the modem, see if it connections.

Optionally you could try this with the stock omni antennas, and see which side of the house the signal is strongest on. I did that and was able to determine which direction the signal was coming from approximately. This led me to eventually realize the exact tower it was coming from.
tgoodwin
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: How do I find the signal?

Post by tgoodwin »

Once you get a general idea what direction it is in use Google maps in satellite view to pinpoint exactly where it is. It takes a bit of panning and zooming but I've always found them. You get a knack of finding them after a while. They are usually clearings in the woods right off major roads.

Return to “Questions and Support”