Inseego M2000 keeps dropping and wont broadcast its SSID

Topics related to Inseego routers and hotspots
Believe
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Inseego M2000 keeps dropping and wont broadcast its SSID

Post by Believe »

Hello,

First, let me say I am not near as tech savvy as I'd like to be. However, I don't mind researching and at least trying to help myself but for this problem none of my efforts are improving the situation. So, here are my issues and what I've done. My ex gave me the M2000 (probably because he thought it was trash) with a prepaid 3 year unlimited plan on T-Mobile. At first, I would literally have to take it outside to get it to broadcast, even tho it had a decent signal, until eventually it wouldn't broadcast at all. After many attempts to find someone, anyone with the same issue I gave up trying to fix it. So, since I knew I could get online if I connected it to my PC, I did that and created a hotspot in windows which allowed me to gain access for up to 8 devices via the hotspot I created. That worked okay for a few months but then I noticed there was an issue with my firestick. Specifically, Hulu kept giving an error message for the network. Not only that, several websites, including Hulu and any other site for movies, gave me a permissions error saying my isp admin would have to grant permission. Commenting on youtube videos was also disabled for some reason. Not sure why but I figured it had to be on Tmo side. So, I installed a VPN on my PC and problem solved. Then, a few days ago the internet began to drop every few minutes until it stopped completely. Assuming it had something to do with my vpn, I tried disabling that but still no internet. The only way I could restore service was to set it up again on a completely different computer. I have service but it's sluggish, it freezes, and drops almost constantly. I did perform a factory reset several times to get it to start broadcasting but it never worked.

I'm hoping someone can help me with this issue and get my service restored. The only thing I can think to do is factory reset the m2000 AND my pc but haven't tried. I do have an older router, a few extenders, and a bridge if any of those devices would help. I was wondering if I tethered it thru another router would that get rid of the restrictions but I don't know how to configure the other router or if it would help anyway.

Thanks and sorry for the long post
BillA

Re: Inseego M2000 keeps dropping and wont broadcast its SSID

Post by BillA »

I would pop the sim card into a phone to check if calls and internet are working properly.
If it's working in a phone then it's the router, if it's flaky in a phone, then it's the service.
That simple test would narrow down the issue quickly to a service or hardware issue.
Also, I would not use a VPN during testing, in order to eliminate another variable.
Once it's working fine with most sites, then you may reenable the VPN.
Believe
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Believe »

Hello and thank you for responding. So, I put the sim card in a phone and had service with no problem. I still have an issue of movie sites being restricted but I had that issue before adding the vpn. So, I guess it's a hardware issue. Is there a way for me to set it up to run through another router at least until the time lapses that's paid for?
BillA

Post by BillA »

Believe wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:16 pm Hello and thank you for responding. So, I put the sim card in a phone and had service with no problem. I still have an issue of movie sites being restricted but I had that issue before adding the vpn. So, I guess it's a hardware issue. Is there a way for me to set it up to run through another router at least until the time lapses that's paid for?

Yes, you should be able to use your current sim/service in another hotspot or router.
Keep in mind that some carriers require a phone's imei in the hotspot/router for the service to work properly.
The easiest way to bypass the imei restriction is by tethering a phone to any OpenWRT/GoldenOrb router with a USB port.
Do not install a VPN till you get the service working, it's just another variable which can complicate things.
Optionally instead of a VPN, you could use a simple and faster proxy with SwitchyOmega extension in Chrome to bypass video/web restrictions (that's what I'm using from bestproxyandvpn.com/buy-proxies.html or others).

It's best to use a real mobile router with a separate modem module (from thewirelesshaven.com/shop), it makes it a lot easier to configure including "magic", troubleshoot, and replace separate defective parts. Those all-in-one hotspots are nice, but a little more difficult to work with and troubleshoot due to their integration of parts.
Orlimar1

Post by Orlimar1 »

I'd also suggest a new device that should work much better. Something like the Invisagig from the Wireless Haven. You can make these devices look like a phone, or tablet, or other devices. Or your M2000. Then that plan will probably work much better for you. Some people get $20 tablet plans from ATT. Then you use one of these devices and make it "look" like a tablet. Then you're off to the races.

If you need help in setting something like this up let us know. Many of us here are using devices like this.

Return to “Inseego”