Are usb to mini pci adaptors still needed?

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
Blurb

Are usb to mini pci adaptors still needed?

Post by Blurb »

When this forum was first born, about 1 year ago, I bought an em7455 and was gearing up for the task of flashing it with generic firmware etc, via the guides that existed before. But alas, the old forum shut down, those guides were lost, and for some reason facebook was the place to be. However such a place was not for me. But now the forum has been reborn, and rooter/golden orb have come a long way. So my question is, do I still need to buy a usb to mini pcie adapter to reset the modem, flash firmware, and set the bands and meid's etc, or can I just buy a we826 or we3936 from the store and do all of the above via the router itself?

Furthermore, the tutorials and specs seem to indicate that the we826 and we3936 are basically the same thing in a little different box. Is there any advantages of one over the other?
JimHelms
Site Admin

Re: Are usb to mini pci adaptors still needed?

Post by JimHelms »

Blurb wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 5:52 pm But alas, the old forum shut down, those guides were lost, and for some reason facebook was the place to be. However such a place was not for me.
Yes, I think a lot of members felt the same way. Welcome back! Hopefully, we can bring this forum back to life as it is a much better tool to store, share and access information.
But now the forum has been reborn, and rooter/golden orb have come a long way.
It has come a long ways and has made a lot of tasks much simpler. Each new build introduces more bells and whistles as well as adding for new modems.
So my question is, do I still need to buy a usb to mini pcie adapter to reset the modem, flash firmware, and set the bands and meid's etc, or can I just buy a we826 or we3936 from the store and do all of the above via the router itself?
You do not need a USB adapter to program the modem. This can all be done within Rooter. WIth that said, you cannot update the modem firmware from within Rooter.

There is a way to update the firmware by signing up and using the Sierra AirVantage Platform. There are a few AT commands that must be programmed into the modem so that it and the Platform can communicate. These AT commands can also be done via Rooter.
Furthermore, the tutorials and specs seem to indicate that the we826 and we3936 are basically the same thing in a little different box. Is there any advantages of one over the other?
The WE826, having a steel case with mounts, makes it a little more practical for mobile applications and/or installing on a wall or flat surface. The WE3926 looks a bit better but, to be honest, I like the WE826 better. All a matter of preference.
Blurb

Post by Blurb »

So, in order to flash to generic firmware, I guess it's best to just go ahead and get the adapter. I've been eying this one https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/pcie-m-2/usb-to ... enclosure/
but I guess it won't work with em cards?

"This USB adapter will not work on the NGFF (m.2) modem cards (i.e., Sierra Wireless EM series cards). The USB to NGFF adapter enclosure must be used."

I figure you got an adapter in the store that will work, so how about it?

Also, Jim, you had a guide for all the binary's and at commands corresponding to tower frequencies, is that guide gone for good? I had to force my franklin r850 to us cellular frequencies in order to get sprint service via roaming. I'm sure I'll have to do the same for my build.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

I have the M.2 to USB adapters and enclosures on order. They should be in shortly, maybe today.

There is a guide on the AT commands under the modem forum.
RussWestrem
Has thanked: 0

Post by RussWestrem »

I have a dual boot linksys wrt series router. I use one partition with openwrt and rooter package as my daily driver. My other boot is openwrt and modem manager. With modern manager you can update right on the router.
contempotec
Has thanked: 0

Post by contempotec »

I also think that it depends on your use case and the equipment you may require.

I now gotten a chance to spend quite a lot of time working with the WE826 and GoldenOrb (probably more time than I had really wanted as Jim would agree :-)) and like the combo, but maybe the needs require a gigabit LAN speed and/or AC WiFi. One choice is to of course pick up a WE1326 or WG3626, but if you are happy with an existing router/WiFi that is supported by GoldenOrb and has a USB port then MAYBE another option is to flash the firmware and pickup the USB enclosure you reference to attach a Sierra Wireless modem to it.

For instance, we have a Mikrotik with gigabit ports in our lab that was used in testing of an expansive WiFi client project that is now gathering dust. Was considering trying something like the above to see if it would work. Just need to find the time to do this :-).

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”