MR6150-100NAS Firmware

Topics for Netgear Nighthawks MRxxxx Series Hotspots
usrname
Been thanked: 0

MR6150-100NAS Firmware

Post by usrname »

I just picked up one of these used with firmware NTGX65_12.01.31.00. I was able to telnet into the device and run AT commands which allowed me to fix the IMEI and enable development mode. As soon as I added a sim the the device it began the update process which I was able to interrupt by remove the battery. I'm concerned about the device updating and closing the telnet backdoor and remove my IMEI fix. Since this device is not carrier locked from the factory, is this something I should be worried about? One thing I did notice is that doing factory reset from the web interface or from the touch display doesn't wipe any of my changes, so I'm thinking they might stick. But I don't feel comfortable in finding out. Any insight?
BillA

Re: MR6150-100NAS Firmware

Post by BillA »

usrname wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:01 pm I just picked up one of these used with firmware NTGX65_12.01.31.00. I was able to telnet into the device and run AT commands which allowed me to fix the IMEI and enable development mode. As soon as I added a sim the the device it began the update process which I was able to interrupt by remove the battery. I'm concerned about the device updating and closing the telnet backdoor and remove my IMEI fix. Since this device is not carrier locked from the factory, is this something I should be worried about? One thing I did notice is that doing factory reset from the web interface or from the touch display doesn't wipe any of my changes, so I'm thinking they might stick. But I don't feel comfortable in finding out. Any insight?

The update process on most routers runs in two or more steps.
First it downloads the update firmware, then validates and flashes it to the appropriate file system/blocks.
As long as you interrupted the download process and didn't let it flash, it should be fine.
However, before inserting another sim, you need to find a way to disable the auto-update to prevent this from happening again.
roaminggnome

Post by roaminggnome »

DISABLE FIRMWARE OTA UPDATES:
Run the following commands in a telnet session 192.168.1.1 port 23 one by one:

dx -c fota.WUAutoCheck 0

dx -c fota.WUAutoDownload 0

dx -c fota.WUAutoUpdate 0
ZzzzShinzzzZ
Been thanked: 0

Post by ZzzzShinzzzZ »

roaminggnome wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:37 pm DISABLE FIRMWARE OTA UPDATES:
Run the following commands in a telnet session 192.168.1.1 port 23 one by one:

dx -c fota.WUAutoCheck 0

dx -c fota.WUAutoDownload 0

dx -c fota.WUAutoUpdate 0
Mine stops me updating, it still got stuck in fw 10.x . What should I do in order to update it? Thanks.
BillA

Post by BillA »

ZzzzShinzzzZ wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:57 am Mine stops me updating, it still got stuck in fw 10.x . What should I do in order to update it? Thanks.

Try setting the following, then factory reset your router, have a working sim in, and wait a day to auto-update.
dx -c fota.WUAutoCheck 1
dx -c fota.WUAutoDownload 1
dx -c fota.WUAutoUpdate 1

Return to “Nighthawks MR1100 - MR5200 (M1...M5...)”