Receive Campground WIFI and back up with 4g or 5g data

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
BillAggie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Receive Campground WIFI and back up with 4g or 5g data

Post by BillAggie »

Hello folks!

If this was talked about beore none of my searches found it.

We are getting back into a motorhome. It's been a long time since we were on the road and connectivity now is critical.

I am paying for data on my wifes phone, my phone, our residence and now it appears our RV. We dont need tons of data but occassionally do stream. We use a good bit of low volume data such as web brousing, social media and messages. Is there a router that can retransmit the campgroun wifi to our decices (a repeater) an rely on a smaller 4g or 5g data plan when there is no wifi to feed the system. I can handle tech OK but my wife needs a streamline solution.

I kinda think the MOFI will work with both but is it streamlined? Is there other devices?

Your help is appreciate.

Bill
Didneywhorl

Re: Receive Campground WIFI and back up with 4g or 5g data

Post by Didneywhorl »

Define streamlined.

Every system has a learning curve to get setup. How easy it is to each individual is subjective to that individual.

The setup for WiFi as WAN (Some call it WiFi Hotspot) isn't too involved on most systems.

If you want to separate the modem and router functions, the InvisaGig is the way. Then you don't need to buy a "cellular router" and aren't stuck with any one router if you dislike the one you decided one. Added bonus: The routers costs, without a modem, is usually much lower.
Orlimar1

Re: Receive Campground WIFI and back up with 4g or 5g data

Post by Orlimar1 »

I'm not an rv'er. But I've heard tons of stories about people reading that the campground they rented a space at had public wifi. But when they got there it so overloaded it was essentially useless. If internet access is critical you're going to want to have a line with all 3 major carriers. Even then, if you go real far off the beaten path, you might still not have access. Then you'd probably need Starlink. The issue is getting good unlimited plans. Lots of us here use unlimited tablet plans. Or unlimited phone plans if you want the highest priority data.

Return to “General and Unclassified”