M2M NEXG H721 Dual Modem Cellular Gigabit Router

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
ron.crumbaker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

M2M NEXG H721 Dual Modem Cellular Gigabit Router

Post by ron.crumbaker »

I bought one of these (not one of the lucky 5) but I am having an issue.

I received my new modem a few days ago. I then pulled out the EM7565 out of my WE826-T2 router and put it into this new device. It shows the modem connecting and everything working as planned.

I then removed it and pulled my MC7455 out of another WE826-T2 that I have and inserted it into #1 MiniPCI-E Slot. But it never sees the modem. I put the modem back into my WE826 and it works. Any suggestions? Or tips for me to look at?

Jim suggested I post here, in case others have seen this and know the answer.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Re: M2M NEXG H721 Dual Modem Cellular Gigabit Router

Post by JimHelms »

ron.crumbaker wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:55 pm
I then removed it and pulled my MC7455 out of another WE826-T2 that I have and inserted it into #1 MiniPCI-E Slot. But it never sees the modem. I put the modem back into my WE826 and it works. Any suggestions? Or tips for me to look at?
The first thing I would check is the modem switch on the PCB. Remove / unplug the power from the router. The modem switch should be slid all the way up (towards the SIM Cards). I would slide it back and forward a time or two and leave it to rest the forward position.

Power up the router and login. Go to MODEM > DEBUG INFORMATION > DEVICE INFORMATION (Lower part of the page) and see if the MC7455 is listed as a device.

Next, and in the event the firmware is still expecting the EM7565 profile, I would go to SYSTEM > BACKUP/FLASH FIRMWARE > RESTORE TO DEFAULTS > PREFORM RESET. That away we can eliminate that as a potential culprit.
ron.crumbaker
Been thanked: 0

Post by ron.crumbaker »

Thanks Jim for responding.

It is not listed under the Debug information.

After checking that I did a reset. Still no modem present. I'm not sure where to go from here now.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

There was a time several years ago (prior to GoldenOrb being compatible with the Sierra Wireless line of modems), a group of us were building Windows PC's to act as a combination PC, LTE router and media center (running Kodi). We used various Virtual Router Managers to share the WiFi from the PC.

We faced the same issue with the host PC not detecting the MC7455 installed internally in a Mini PCI-E adapter. We too had to tape the PINS for the MC7455 to work.

It seemed the corner of a yellow stick-em and an exacto knife (and magnifying glass for those of us with tired eyes) simplified the task of isolating the interface pins.

Here is one such PC build:

PC Router Project.jpg
PC Router Project Antenna Labeling .jpg

Taping the PINS on the later hardware versions of the MC7455 is no longer required. This can be accomplished using an AT Command.

To use this function, the MC7455 must be first be updated to the latest Generic firmware.

To update the firmware will require a USB to Mini PCI-E adapter to connect the modem to a PC.

In order for a Windows machine to detect and communicate with the MC7455, the Sierra Wireless Generic Driver Software for Windows will need to installed on the PC.

Warning: Never allow a Windows machine to "Manage" an internet connection with the MC7455 as it can change the composition of the modem to an undesired mode. In other words, if you are using an USB to Mini PCI-E adapter enclosure, remove the SIM Card where Windows will not try to manage the modem. Windows is used strictly to update the Sierra modem's firmware using the Generic Driver Software.

Plug the USB adapter (with the MC7455) into the Windows machine and run the GN_9999999_9904609_SWI9X30C_02.30.03.00_00_GENERIC_002.046_001 executable file.

When the update is completed, you should see this window with these results:

Updating the MC7455 Firmware.png

If your window reflects these "exact" results, press the Enter key and the window will disappear.

If your results look any different, press Enter key, and update the firmware a second time.

Note: As a general practice, I personally prefer to always flash a firmware on a modem a second time. It is also often required on the EM7565.

After the firmware has been updated, we will use the Huawei Terminal to issue the necessary AT Commands.

Open the Huawei Terminal and select the WWAN Modem COM Port, and Connect:

Selecting the WWAN Modem COM Port.png

Once connected, run the following AT Commands:

Code: Select all

AT!ENTERCND="A710"
AT!USBSPEED=0
AT!RESET
Once the last AT Command responds with OK, Close ( X ) out the Terminal.

AT Commands for USB Mode.png

You may now remove the MC7455 and install in the M2M and proceed as normal with configuring GoldenOrb.

In the event you need to restore the MC7455 to it previous USB OEM setting:

Code: Select all

AT!ENTERCND="A710"
AT!USBSPEED=1
AT!RESET
As an afterthought, we expect changes in the M2M NEXG H721 Version 2 that will void having to complete this step.

When you purchase the M2M NEXG H721 Version 1 from The Wireless Haven along with the Sierra Wireless MC7455 modem, we will update the firmware and configure the modem for no additional fee. Just include a note upon checkout in the NOTE field box to "Prepare the Modem for the M2".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
chuyeu123

Post by chuyeu123 »

Hello,

I have the h721 dual modem as well and may I ask how can I use the hard reset button to revert to original firmware? I were trying to use the wifi Hotspot feature but the wifi connection to the router got disconnected. I'm currently cannot connect to the router directly via ethernet cable. I've tried to unplug the router, hold the reset button while plugging the power back but I can't seems to get the router to reset to original firmware.

May I ask if anyone know how could I reset the modem without hard wired to the ethernet port? Thank you so much
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

chuyeu123 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:26 pm Hello,

I have the h721 dual modem as well and may I ask how can I use the hard reset button to revert to original firmware? I were trying to use the wifi Hotspot feature but the wifi connection to the router got disconnected. I'm currently cannot connect to the router directly via ethernet cable. I've tried to unplug the router, hold the reset button while plugging the power back but I can't seems to get the router to reset to original firmware.

May I ask if anyone know how could I reset the modem without hard wired to the ethernet port? Thank you so much
When doing firmware recovery it doesn't reset to the factory on its own, you have to load it, and that can only be done via hard wire.

You can, if you have access to the webUI, reset the firmware to factory settings in the menu selections.

Return to “General and Unclassified”