Help needed changing/upgrading firmware on a Suncomm 02 and

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
static1401
Has thanked: 0

Help needed changing/upgrading firmware on a Suncomm 02 and

Post by static1401 »

Hello everybody, this is my first post here. It's nice to meet you all and all that good stuff. I just recently took the plunge after waiting for months and bought a 4x4 mimo enclosure antenna combo from here for use with my Suncomm 02 I purchased months ago.

Unfortunately some medical issues last year have really messed with my memory so a lot of what I had planned has just kind of been erased from my memory if I even had plans at all which I'm pretty sure I did . Nevertheless. This has been something I wouldn't wanting to do for a good couple of years. I live way out in the sticks. A good hour and a half two hours drive from Yellowstone national Park in Old faithful and all that. So good. Internet service is kind of a pain in the butt. Did have one but they started screwing me over and so I kicked them to the curb. For years I've had a Netgear nighthawk m1100 and had been running that in my semi truck. When I finally said to myself, why can't I just do this at home? And after looking into a little bit the most trash service provider in my opinion until that point or at least my whole life had been T-Mobile.. and wouldn't you know it? They've actually gotten a lot better and their service has been awesome as far as their signal. It used to be. You could barely find a tower around here and now they have 5G where I'm at and it's faster than AT&t which I have for personal use.

Anywho, the firmware on the SunCom as anybody else is seeing is trash. I've seen everybody rant and rave about golden orb or reuter or whatever it's called. As well as the firmware that they have on the wireless haven routers. Unfortunately I don't have another 5-600 to go plopping around, but definitely will be in the next year when I upgrade my trucks, modem and router.
In the meantime, I really want to get this router modem combo i have upgraded and flashed over to something else.

I've seen that it's completely possible but I've been asking and searching and asking and searching and I either get blank stairs and no replies or I seem like I'm irritating people.. Or getting sketchy links from people in the Philippines that I don't know (not that I know anybody on here but I just have weird vibes I guess) despite how helpful they seem to be. More or less I guess I'm more worried about compatibility when talking to those folks and the English translation isn't the best and I certainly don't want to break this. So this seems like a more trusted community and so I feel safe for asking the question here
What I have is
Suncomm 02 Running on I believe the M10K21 chipset, on FW Version:2.2.2-20230524-165520 with Quectel RM520N-GL
Revision: RM520NGLAAR01A06M4G

Hopefully tonight or tomorrow basically as soon as possible cuz I need to get back out on the road. It will be installed in the wireless haven 4x4 MIMO antenna/router enclosure.

Can somebody please give me some step by step instructions or links to upgrade the modem? And more importantly, flash this firmware over to something else on the router? I've heard great things about golden orb/Rooter which ever it's called. As well as the firmware on what the wireless haven has. I really could use some black and white 123 steps . This is something I'm really passionate about and I used to enjoy and love flashing different roms and rooting. My Android phones tinkering with anything that plugged in the wall basically and unfortunately over the years I seem to have lost my touch. Or maybe I'm just not hearing things correctly? Or maybe they really are that scrambled?.

But I was kind of hoping people in the same community would be more willing to help out and not just ghost me.

So any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks for letting me join y'all. I look forward to being a member.
genac
Been thanked: 0

Re: Help needed changing/upgrading firmware on a Suncomm 02 and

Post by genac »

I'm considering Nighthawk M6 and Suncomm O2 for my van home Got recommendation? O2 is dirt cheap on Alibaba.

Also trying to decide between MIMO 2x2 vs 4x4. Advice?

See https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?p=26258#p26258
Suncomm Firmware page: https://www.suncomm.com/category/downloads/1

Cheers, G
Orlimar1

Post by Orlimar1 »

genac wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:15 pm I'm considering Nighthawk M6 and Suncomm O2 for my van home Got recommendation? O2 is dirt cheap on Alibaba.

Also trying to decide between MIMO 2x2 vs 4x4. Advice?

See viewtopic.php?p=26258#p26258
Suncomm Firmware page: https://www.suncomm.com/category/downloads/1

Cheers, G
Netgear is now forcing firmware updates that remove the ability to do "magic." Whereas the Suncomm will have the ability to do that in minutes. Are you wanting to be able to use the NH while on battery power? If not I'd probably go with the Suncomm.
genac

Post by genac »

Netgear is now forcing firmware updates that remove the ability to do "magic." Whereas the Suncomm will have the ability to do that in minutes. Are you wanting to be able to use the NH while on battery power? If not I'd probably go with the Suncomm.
[/quote]

Man you are way out of my league. I have no answers but a 1000 questions. I never even heard the term magic before I started looking into mobile data. Please describe why and how to do magic. And what's NH?

My application is work from my van home. I was down the path of using T-Mo mobile hotspot service, which supports three routers; none supports an external antenna.

Please suggest alternatives. E.g. could I use a home internet service in my van? T-Mo is the only feasible option since I need unlimited data. Starlink is out of budget and Musk is a doosh.
Orlimar1

Post by Orlimar1 »

genac wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:55 pm Netgear is now forcing firmware updates that remove the ability to do "magic." Whereas the Suncomm will have the ability to do that in minutes. Are you wanting to be able to use the NH while on battery power? If not I'd probably go with the Suncomm.
Man you are way out of my league. I have no answers but a 1000 questions. I never even heard the term magic before I started looking into mobile data. Please describe why and how to do magic. And what's NH?

My application is work from my van home. I was down the path of using T-Mo mobile hotspot service, which supports three routers; none supports an external antenna.

Please suggest alternatives. E.g. could I use a home internet service in my van? T-Mo is the only feasible option since I need unlimited data. Starlink is out of budget and Musk is a doosh.
[/quote]

You use "magic" to make the imei, or identifier, of a modem match that of say a tablet or a phone. People do that so that they can use things like a $10 unlimited T-Mobile plan in a modem. That way you use a $10 tablet plan for home or portable internet. Some people use phone plans. Because some premium phone plans have no deprioritization. So you would always have the best access to data.
Shadymadcap
Has thanked: 0

Post by Shadymadcap »

Just curious...did you manage to get some new software for the suncomm router? It does have access to AT commands...but i have more of a point n click router education. (not that I also have an 02 and wish to load some new firmware ;)

Return to “General and Unclassified”