NEXP1GO with Quectel RM500Q-AE 5G Modem Loses Connection

Topics related to WiFiX branded routers
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
ProHomeOwner
Has thanked: 0

NEXP1GO with Quectel RM500Q-AE 5G Modem Loses Connection

Post by ProHomeOwner »

Hello, I have had the NEXP1GO with Quectel RM500Q-AE 5G Modem for about 15 months now and have had a constant problem with it. The router will be running just fine and we will suddenly have no internet, checking the status page it says it is connected to the tower and will list the band and all that - normal status. In order to get internet back I will have to restart the modem. This happens one to two times per day.

It is not a tower issue, I am located almost directly between two towers and if I turn the antenna and connect to the other tower I get the same issues. Any thoughts?

I am also not an routerologist so you will need to break it down for me.
Didneywhorl

Re: NEXP1GO with Quectel RM500Q-AE 5G Modem Loses Connection

Post by Didneywhorl »

What carrier and plan are you using. Also which band(s) are you primarily connected to?
ProHomeOwner

Post by ProHomeOwner »

I am using Calyx Institute 5G (T-Mobile) unlimited plan. I am 99.9% of the time connected to N71, every now and then it will kick over to B71 or B12 but that is almost useless. When these connection issues pop-up it will say I am still connected to N71. I do a quick reset and it will again connect to N71 and all is well.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

This has been a reported issue with SA on Tmobile. These 5G Stand Alone bands do not allow constant connection at every site. Cell phones will swap bands around actively as well. These modems want to keep solid constant connection, the carrier doesn't seem to like that. Most people turn off SA and turn on LTE+5G(NSA) to avoid, or change band locks every hour or so with scripting on the router.
ProHomeOwner

Post by ProHomeOwner »

Okay, N71 is pretty much the only usable band in my area. Any advice on how to automate the router taking care of this issue instead of me finding out we have no internet, logging in and rebooting the router? Appreciate the help so far btw.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

It's a bit involved. PM me and I can help a little easier over email.

Return to “WiFiX Routers”