Think I might have a Bad SIM Card

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
moonunit0103

Think I might have a Bad SIM Card

Post by moonunit0103 »

Hi,

Yesterday my modem went off line, but this time it would not restart. I have a MC7455 which is connected to a WG3526 with a USB adapter. I wound up switching the SIM card into the Franklin R850 hotspot that the SIM card came with, and it roamed for about 5 minutes, then I got NO SERVICE. I called Sprint Tech Support, and they had me do a reset, update data profile, but it would not connect. He told me to call PCs for People and have them sort it out. After I hung up, I went on //myhotspot/ to access the hotspot, and noticed that the phone number and MSID had changed to this number: 0000004153. Before, it was a 646 or 612 area code, from what my memory serves me.

On ROOter, the connection log shows MC7455 Snapdragon Attempting to connect, but it never connects. Bad SIM card?
JimHelms
Site Admin

Re: Think I might have a Bad SIM Card

Post by JimHelms »

It does sound the SIM card is bad since the hotspot cannot read the phone number. They can be finicky at times.

You may try removing the SIM card and cleaning its surface with an alcohol pad. And try it again the hotspot.

If you get no response from PC's for People, then you might consider ordering a new SIM card "if" you can get Sprint to deal with you directly on activating the new card.
moonunit0103

Re: Think I might have a Bad SIM Card

Post by moonunit0103 »

Followup: I contacted my Sprint provider, who gave me a Sprint number to call for Tech Support, and after going through some diagnostics, determined that my SIM/hotspot was bad, and authorized a warranty replacement, which they said would take 7-10 business days.

A week later, after exhausting my Cell plan data for the month, I decided, on a whim, to turn the hotspot on, and it worked perfectly!!!! I am still waiting on a replacement, but it has been working OK for the past 5 days.

I have no idea what made it suddenly start working again, but I got NO SERVICE constantly before/during/after the Tech Support, only to start working again 7 days later.

Return to “General and Unclassified”