Configure Quectel RM502q-AE on Visible / ATT for 5G UW & 5G+ Speeds

Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
slazinger_7
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Configure Quectel RM502q-AE on Visible / ATT for 5G UW & 5G+ Speeds

Post by slazinger_7 »

We have a DualQ H721 router running GoldendOrb 2022-09-28 firmware with a Quectel RM502q-AE modem.

Right now we have a Visible+ plan and we are getting a pretty good 150/80 Mbps. Although, when we put the Visible+ SIM into a smartphone (Pixel 7 Pro), I notice that we are within range of an ultra wideband tower, so the 5G"UW" logo will pop up and the smartphone will clock speeds that are considerably higher at 400-500 Mbps download.

The DualQ consistently locks to bands B66 (20 Mhz/20 Mhz) and n77 (60 Mhz), which appear to be the same bands the Pixel 7 Pro connects to as well.

I'm not sure why the DualQ is unable to get the higher ultra wideband speeds.

FWIW, we also have a Verizon 5g business internet plan, and that modem easily initially shoots above our throttled 200 Mbps when we do a speed test, so I know we are well within range of the applicable towers and the speeds can top 200 Mbps pretty easily.

We also have an ATT Elite plan on order (currently waiting on the SIM), so I'm wondering if we might run into similar problems. We are within the ATT 5g+ area.

Any help would be appreciated.
macuseri686

Re: Configure Quectel RM502q-AE on Visible / ATT for 5G UW & 5G+ Speeds

Post by macuseri686 »

slazinger_7 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:59 am We have a DualQ H721 router running GoldendOrb 2022-09-28 firmware with a Quectel RM502q-AE modem.

Right now we have a Visible+ plan and we are getting a pretty good 150/80 Mbps. Although, when we put the Visible+ SIM into a smartphone (Pixel 7 Pro), I notice that we are within range of an ultra wideband tower, so the 5G"UW" logo will pop up and the smartphone will clock speeds that are considerably higher at 400-500 Mbps download.

The DualQ consistently locks to bands B66 (20 Mhz/20 Mhz) and n77 (60 Mhz), which appear to be the same bands the Pixel 7 Pro connects to as well.

I'm not sure why the DualQ is unable to get the higher ultra wideband speeds.

FWIW, we also have a Verizon 5g business internet plan, and that modem easily initially shoots above our throttled 200 Mbps when we do a speed test, so I know we are well within range of the applicable towers and the speeds can top 200 Mbps pretty easily.

We also have an ATT Elite plan on order (currently waiting on the SIM), so I'm wondering if we might run into similar problems. We are within the ATT 5g+ area.

Any help would be appreciated.

the reason for this is carrier data inspection and traffic throttling. try using the cloudflare warp tunnel (https://1.1.1.1/), and then run the speedtest again. i have tested this with visible on b66 and n77. without: 70 down 30 up. with tunnel: 360down 50 up. visible also throttles youtube down to 2mbps. using cloudflare warp bypasses this too. also make sure to set your firewall custom TTL value to 65 (so that visible doesnt think you are using a hotspot). if you want your whole router to be behind the cloudflare warp tunnel, you can use the wireguard VPN in the router and use https://www.reddit.com/r/CloudFlare/com ... wireguard/ this tool to generate the wireguard config for cloudflare warp.

also, if you wanna check which bands your pixel is connecting to on the same tower, to make sure we are comparing apples to apples, you can use this tool: https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/04/1 ... id-phones/

also, make sure you reboot the router often. i recommend a scheduled reboot (https://192.168.1.1/cgi-bin/luci/admin/ ... s/schedule) each day around like 2am. there is a known issue that after some hours, the speeds starts to slowly drop, such that after maybe 24 hrs, your speed will be cut in half. ive done extensive testing on this, and its not limited to a specific modem, or even tmobile or verizon. its not a RAM leak or high CPU usage on the router either. nor is it related to signal stats, overheating or network congestion.

Return to “Quectel Modems”