Modifying T-Mobile Gateway, buying second-hand gateway? ( Arcadyan KVD21 )

HOTSPOT Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
iceburglar

Modifying T-Mobile Gateway, buying second-hand gateway? ( Arcadyan KVD21 )

Post by iceburglar »

Just got T-Mobile's home internet on their current promo for 30/month when you have a Magenta Max voice line. Previously I was using a One Plus International mobile line in my modems ( Quectel RM502Q-AE + WG1608 , Telit LM960 + WE826 ). I was never really happy with how those previous setups worked, the routers were very slow to reboot and reconnect the modems and wifi every time I wanted to apply a change to settings, and would often have problems and not reconnect on their own to new towers when traveling.

Anyway since T-Mobile's KVD21 gateway seems to power-on and connect quickly ( it "just works" ) I would like to mount SMA jumpers through the casing so I can try better antennas. Some people who didn't return their gateways after ending service say TMobile charged them ~400 for non-return of equipment, so I am considering ordering a like-model off ebay ( seem to go for around 100 bucks ) to modify, and keeping the issued gateway un-modified to return. Does anyone know if TMobile locks the devices, like carriers do with phones/tablets that aren't paid-off? Don't wanna buy someone elses gateway if I wont be able to swap my SIM into it and use it.

I know there are ways to screw around with the tamper labels and fish wires through vent holes in the casing but I want something more robust and portable than some loose cabling hanging out the side.
gscheb

Re: Modifying T-Mobile Gateway, buying second-hand gateway? ( Arcadyan KVD21 )

Post by gscheb »

T-Mobile IMEI locks these devices. I have the Nokia gateway and have wires thru the bottom vent holes. Not as bad as you would think.

Return to “General and Unclassified”