WE826 no WiFi broadcast

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
contempotec
Has thanked: 0

WE826 no WiFi broadcast

Post by contempotec »

This router does not appear to like me.

Issue:
Not seeing the WiFi SSID on any of my devices.

Steps:
- Enabled the default WiFi setup without any setting changes (Should see Rooter, but don't)
- Set my own name and WPA2 password and made sure to hit save and apply (don't see the new name)
- Made sure Hide ESSID setting was unchecked
- Double checked that the wireless info page showed that the WiFi is enabled
- Antennas labeled 2.4 are attached (actually all 4 antennas are attached to the router)

Troubleshoot:
- Triggered the reset settings from the backup page (no joy seeing default Rooter SSID)
- Flashed firmware back to standard LEDE and enabled the default no password WiFi entry called LEDE and waited 5 mins (still do not see it on my devices and test laptop)

What setting am I missing??
JimHelms
Site Admin

Re: WE826 no WiFi broadcast

Post by JimHelms »

Assuming the router is properly configured and connecting to the internet, you may want to:

1. Go to SYSTEM > BACKUP/FLASH FIRMWARE > GENERATE ARCHIVE and download it to your desktop. This will save a backup of all of your current configuration settings.

2. On the same page, BROWSE to a fresh copy of ROOTer, Uncheck "Keep settings" box, and re-flash the firmware.

3. When it comes back online, on that same page, Browse to your Configuration backup file and Restore Backup.

4. If you are still having the same issue, it is possible your configuration is somehow causing the issue. In that event, I would repeat number 2 above and reconfigure your settings.

The WiFi and/or drivers can be a bit cankerous at times, and this process should help correct any corrupt or missing file or driver that may be causing an issue.
contempotec

Post by contempotec »

Thanks for the guidance on the config backup. Since this is really a test unit, I didn't really care about saving anything.

1. Re-downloaded the GoldenOrb code from the author's website. Made sure it was file named we826-GO2017-12-15.zip
2. Unzipped the file with no errors to a .bin file
3. Connected via Ethernet and signed into the WE826 and went to the backup/restore flash page and flashed the GoldenOrb code. Made sure that Keep Settings was unchecked.
4. Modem flashed without an error and it came back up after a few minutes
5. I verified that it was running properly and did a power cycle just to make sure.
6. Signed in again and did NOT change password or make any other updates.
7. Went to the Wireless section which gave me a status in the General Setup tab.
8. Default WiFi called ROOter was enabled with WPA encryption on channel 11.
9. Checked on test laptop, test iPad and my own Android based phone and found no broadcast of ROOter
10. Double checked that Hide ESSID was NOT checked.
11. Plugged a live Ethernet line into the WAN port and was able to surf the internet via the laptop that was plugged into the WE826 via a LAN line
12. Unfortunately, still no wireless ID found for ROOter.

Any other ideas? Again, thanks for all the help.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

Lets try one more fix. There has been some updates on the wifi drivers. Download and try THIS BUILD. It is a custom build with the new WiFi drivers. It is also of a newer kernel--so if you need to resort back to the stable build of Rooter, you will have to do so from the firmware recovery mode. Instructions are on the forum under the WE|WG router topics.

Be sure and uncheck the box to save settings.
contempotec

Post by contempotec »

The new interface colors and shadowing are a big thumbs up. Please pass my compliments on to the author.

Did the same as before and did not change from the default after the firmware flash. Menus show that the SSID should be LTE-ROUTER on channel 11 with no encryption, but again I do not detect the WiFi broadcast on any of my devices.

I am going to guess that I have a defective unit :-(. It is too bad since I ordered a 12V cigarette adapter charger and wanted to try it in one of our vehicles.

@JimHelms... Again, thanks for all the help.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

At least you are now educated on the WE826. LOL

Login to your account on the store, and request a RMA. We will get you taken care of.
contempotec

Post by contempotec »

Just wanted to close on this.

New unit came in and I was finally able to allocate time to set it up and fire it on. Outside of a stupid user error on my part by mixing up the 4G and WiFi antennaes, the new unit works great on WiFi and hard line. Connection to my wireless carrier for the LTE has been solid and consistent.

Also tried out the cigarette 12V adapter. It works fabulously. I paid a couple bucks more to get an adapter with a power switch so I only need to turn it on when we are testing the unit. Very cool accessory.

Again, cheers for all the help and the quick turn around on the new unit. Jim, you and team at thewirelesshaven.com rock!
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

Great. Glad you are up and running. Thanks for the kind words.

Return to “General and Unclassified”