WG3526-P \ EM7565 slow speeds

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
1337Jess
Has thanked: 0

WG3526-P \ EM7565 slow speeds

Post by 1337Jess »

Hi all,

I setup a WG3526-P with a EM7565 modem using a Verizon Unlimited (grandfathered) SIM. I am currently on Firmware wg3526-GO2019-03-10 however I have not updated the firmware on the em7565. I am 3.4 miles from the cell tower and there is a large amount of vegetation in the way. I am only seeing about 6mbps down and 2mbps up at the max on the WG3526. This is the fastest I have seen it speedtest. It has gone as low as 0.7mbps down and 0.1mbps up at times. I am trying to find out why the speed is so slow. I read that others are getting much better speeds and they are twice the distance as I am. I have set the TTL to 65 - 117 but that didnt change anything. I am still seeing extremely slow speeds throughout the day. I am not sure where to look to see what the issue is. I have a Galaxy S6 Edge phone also on Verizon and I have noticed that my phone seems to have better (faster and more steady) connection.

P.S. Something else I noticed is the 3g/4g LED on the WG3526 never comes on or blinks. Is it supposed to from the factory or is that something I have to setup?

Code: Select all

Current Time:  54362		Temperature: 50
Reset Counter: 1		        Mode:        ONLINE         
System mode:   LTE        	PS state:    Attached     
LTE band:      B13    		        LTE bw:      10 MHz  
LTE Rx chan:   5230		LTE Tx chan: 23230
LTE SSC1 state:INACTIVE    	LTE SSC1 band: B4     
LTE SSC1 bw  : 10 MHz  		LTE SSC1 chan: 2100
LTE SSC2 state:NOT ASSIGNED
LTE SSC3 state:NOT ASSIGNED
LTE SSC4 state:NOT ASSIGNED
EMM state:     Registered     	Normal Service 
RRC state:     RRC Connected  
IMS reg state: No Srv  		

PCC RxM RSSI:  -72		PCC RxM RSRP:  -99
PCC RxD RSSI:  -69		PCC RxD RSRP:  -96
SCC1 RxM RSSI: -94		SCC1 RxM RSRP: -114
SCC1 RxD RSSI: -92		SCC1 RxD RSRP: -112
Tx Power:      --		        TAC:         a301 (41729)
RSRQ (dB):     -10.1		        Cell ID:     027de902 (41806082)
SINR (dB):     13.0
JimHelms
Site Admin

Re: WG3526-P \ EM7565 slow speeds

Post by JimHelms »

Your antenna stats show the Primary Carrier on LTE is Band 13:

LTE band:      B13    		        LTE bw:      10 MHz
The Secondary Carrier shows to be LTE Band 4:

LTE SSC1 state:INACTIVE    	LTE SSC1 band: B4     
LTE SSC1 bw  : 10 MHz  		LTE SSC1 chan: 2100
The Primary and Secondary carrier relates to Carrier Aggregating of bands (13/4 in your case)

Band 13 operates on the 700MHz while Band 4 operates on the 1700/2100HMz.

The lower the frequency, the larger the wave length, and the higher its penetration and power--especially over distances and through foliage.

On the other side, the higher the frequency, the shorter its wave length, the greater its absorption and the more difficult its penetration.

We can see this in the antenna signal stats:

Primary Carrier, Band 13, 700MHz:

PCC RxM RSSI:  -72		PCC RxM RSRP:  -99
PCC RxD RSSI:  -69		PCC RxD RSRP:  -96
Secondary Carrier, Band 4, 2100MHz:

SCC1 RxM RSSI: -94		SCC1 RxM RSRP: -114
SCC1 RxD RSSI: -92		SCC1 RxD RSRP: -112
This hints that your speed issues may well be related to subpar signal strength for your secondary carrier (Band 4).

We often see this in foliage conditions where higher frequencies are struggling to penetrate trees. Under a heavy foliage condition would also make band 13 popular for other devices in the area as well--which could lead to tower congestion.

The rest of your signal stats look good (refer to the chart below)

Also, when changing your TTL (65, 117) you need to do a power off- Power on (i.e., hard reboot) to be assure they take effect.

Amtenna Stats Explained.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1337Jess

Post by 1337Jess »

Thank you for the feedback Jim! In your opinion, would setting up a 700-2700MHz WiFi 4G LTE 8dBi Directional MIMO Antenna be worth while or would that be wasted money?

Also, I noticed the 3g/4g LED on the WG3526 never comes on or blinks. Is it supposed to from the factory or is that something I have to setup?
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

1337Jess wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 7:59 am Thank you for the feedback Jim! In your opinion, would setting up a 700-2700MHz WiFi 4G LTE 8dBi Directional MIMO Antenna be worth while or would that be wasted money?
That would be hard to say. Generally, if you can improve your signals and the quality thereof, you can improve your speeds.

It is possible to improve your secondary carrier stats, and possibly pickup the third carrier bands for 3 x CA if they are available on your tower (where at the present time, you are only receiving 2 x CA).

Also, I noticed the 3g/4g LED on the WG3526 never comes on or blinks. Is it supposed to from the factory or is that something I have to setup?
That is firmware driven and may be configured--although I personally have never messed with it.
1337Jess

Post by 1337Jess »

I see. Sadly the connection is not very good at all today. I can barely get any work done which is obviously not good...
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

1337Jess wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 9:16 am I see. Sadly the connection is not very good at all today. I can barely get any work done which is obviously not good...
Is there a change in the weather (i.e., rain)? If you are in a foliage environment, rain has a significant effect on signals as does the time of day (prime time = congestion)
1337Jess

Post by 1337Jess »

It's been really dry here for the past week. No real weather changes. One thing I am noticing though is when the internet feels more solid it shows it's connected to B13. When it's CA's with B4 is when it slows down to a crawl.

Speedtest on B13 only, shows about 4mbps down
Speedtest on B13 with CA to B4 shows 0.8mbps down.
1337Jess

Post by 1337Jess »

I am at a loss. I received and setup the MIMO antenna and even though it seems my signal strength and quality has gone up, my speeds are just atrocious. I am consistently getting between speeds as low as 0.3mbps down. I have no clue what to do here...

Current Time: 8884 Temperature: 45
Reset Counter: 1 Mode: ONLINE
System mode: LTE PS state: Attached
LTE band: B4 LTE bw: 10 MHz
LTE Rx chan: 2100 LTE Tx chan: 20100
LTE SSC1 state:INACTIVE LTE SSC1 band: B13
LTE SSC1 bw : 10 MHz LTE SSC1 chan: 5230
EMM state: Registered Normal Service
RRC state: RRC Connected

PCC RxM RSSI: -78 PCC RxM RSRP: -107
PCC RxD RSSI: -84 PCC RxD RSRP: -110
SCC1 RxM RSSI: -73 SCC1 RxM RSRP: -92
SCC1 RxD RSSI: -74 SCC1 RxD RSRP: -94
Tx Power: -- TAC: a301 (41729)
RSRQ (dB): -9.4 Cell ID: 027de916 (41806102)
SINR (dB): 10.4
swwifty

Post by swwifty »

Your signal stats look to be good enough to get at least 50mbps town.

I'd suspect tower congestion based on your RSRQ values, and my knowledge that Verizon tends to be more overloaded than AT&T even though Verizon has a much wider coverage area typically.
xdavidx

Post by xdavidx »

Those seem like odd speed results for those stats. If you are willing to step through this, maybe we can narrow down what is going on and ensure it is a congested tower, which it very well could be.

How are you testing your speeds? What speed test software are you using and what is it running on? Although real world workloads are slow too, it might still be good to consider the test software. How is the machine it is running on connected to the router?

How is the modem connected to the router. Is it plugged in inside or connected externally through USB?

Have you tried the sim in your phone to see if you get the same speeds with that sim as your regular phone sim? You said the phone has a faster and steadier speed. What speeds do you typically get with the phone?

Do you have an inverter, so you can run the router off battery power in your vehicle? Taking the system directly to the tower (a couple blocks away is generally better than directly under it, in my experience), could verify if it is tower or vegetation (although your stats seem good enough even if vegetation is reducing your potential).

If you can take the system to another tower, that will help quite a bit in determining if it is a tower related issue or router/modem issue (or possibly a Verizon throttling issue).

If it ends up being a tower issue, maybe there is another tower you can reach inside or outside at home that will provide better speeds.
1337Jess

Post by 1337Jess »

xdavidx,

I am using speedtest.net primarily from my desktop PC that is connected via ethernet cable to the WG3526-P. I have actually tested with cell phone connected to wifi, laptop connected wifi and ethernet, and desktop connected with ethernet. All devices report the same inconsistencies. What I have noticed however is if I run a speedtest early in the morning I get around 16D 3U. Speeds slow down to a crawl around 10am and last throughout the day and late into the night. I recently moved to this house so I didn't have a good grasp on the terrain. I drove around my house yesterday and noticed that I am actually in a small valley and I have zero direct path to a tower which is obviously my problem with the antenna. After racking my brain on this I have chalked it up to network\tower congestion. I live in East Tennessee and this place is crawling with tourism. Every other license plate is from out of state.

The only non LTE service I have here is AT&T which is a 3D 1U DSL connection. I went ahead and scheduled an install for tomorrow. Yeah, that bandwidth is pretty atrocious but all I need is consistency, not throughput. I might drop this Verizon account which costs me $100 a month and get a cheaper AT&T unlimited LTE account. That way I can "attempt" load balancing on the WG3526.

Attached is my speedtest from this morning at 10am
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
xdavidx

Post by xdavidx »

1337Jess wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:03 pm xdavidx,

I am using speedtest.net primarily from my desktop PC that is connected via ethernet cable to the WG3526-P. I have actually tested with cell phone connected to wifi, laptop connected wifi and ethernet, and desktop connected with ethernet. All devices report the same inconsistencies. What I have noticed however is if I run a speedtest early in the morning I get around 16D 3U. Speeds slow down to a crawl around 10am and last throughout the day and late into the night. I recently moved to this house so I didn't have a good grasp on the terrain. I drove around my house yesterday and noticed that I am actually in a small valley and I have zero direct path to a tower which is obviously my problem with the antenna. After racking my brain on this I have chalked it up to network\tower congestion. I live in East Tennessee and this place is crawling with tourism. Every other license plate is from out of state.
I've found that when there is little bandwidth to go around, Windows and apps on Windows doing background things and Android apps doing background things can really suck down the bandwidth during tests. Although you may need those background things in order to use the Windows machine and the Android (or iOS) devices, seeing if they are contributing to the slower speeds might be worthwhile.

I went through this recently as well. You can turn off wifi on the phone and then either disconnect the laptop or the desktop and use the remaining one for testing. On that remaining one, you can use Windows firewall to shut down all outbound connections for everything except chrome (or whatever browser you use to check the modem stats) and speedtest.net. That assumes you are using the speedtest.net Windows app. If you are using the browser version, I'd recommend switching to the full Windows app. Lastly, you'd need to create an allow rule for the Windows DNS service. Then you could disable all the other auto-created rules and then set the whole profile (whether that is set to private or public depends on how you classified it when it asked you if you'd be using the connection at home or in public) to not allow any connections that don't have a rule. Before doing all this, you'd want to save the configuration as it was and save it after and then you can switch between the two fairly easily.

If you want to jump through those hoops, I can provide screenshots of the process.

The early morning 16 mbps downloads once people are awake does seem like tower congestion. However, are the antennas inside or outside? If there is contention with other towers, getting a cleaner signal to the target tower might reduce this contention a bit, depending on where you are located and how much overlap there is in tower coverage.

Your guess about tourism would sure seem to fit. Not only are they not working, hence on their devices more, but since they are away from home, they are probably using their LTE devices to watch TV too. If kids are out of school for the summer already, that could be another drain.

1337Jess wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:03 pm The only non LTE service I have here is AT&T which is a 3D 1U DSL connection. I went ahead and scheduled an install for tomorrow. Yeah, that bandwidth is pretty atrocious but all I need is consistency, not throughput. I might drop this Verizon account which costs me $100 a month and get a cheaper AT&T unlimited LTE account. That way I can "attempt" load balancing on the WG3526.
I feel for you. An LTE system is my only escape from a poor DSL service. So I'm going the opposite way -- trying to get away from DSL with the LTE system. The AT&T ipad plans seem like a good deal to reduce costs.

I've load balanced from a router running a load balancing capable version of Tomato firmware before, when I used 2 poor DSL lines. It works okay if both sources are performing okay, but if one is really slow or limping along (like your LTE system is at times), then it becomes difficult, because the load balancing system uses a simple algorithm that doesn't look at bandwidth usage on each leg. I have no idea what the WG3526 firmware uses for an algorithm, so maybe you won't have this issue, but just something I thought I'd mention from my experience.

I plan on load balancing the LTE router with my DSL router until I'm sure the LTE system is stable, and then I may get rid of the DSL service or lower it to a cheaper plan. So I'll be in the same boat of using 2 dissimilar speed links.
1337Jess wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:03 pm Attached is my speedtest from this morning at 10am
An upload higher than a download is a good sign of congestion in my experience. Not as many people upload.

There is still a question of whether the tower's connection to the internet is bogged down or if it is a matter of too many people fighting over the spectrum to that tower, or interference with other towers on the same frequencies. If it is one or both of the first couple issues, then finding another tower to point the antennas at might help. If it is the last issue, then getting a stronger signal to the current tower might help it lower what it considers noise from the other towers.

With you being in a valley, getting your antennas higher should improve the signal quite a bit, especially for Band 4.

There is one other thing I can think of, and this is a super long shot, but it is an easy thing to check. Check the debug screen, under the modem section, and find the temperature reported. Compare it when it is fast vs when it is slow. I highly doubt this is the issue, but on the off chance you have it in a hot location and that location cools at night, it is theoretically possible. I encountered this today, where the modem got too hot on the roof where I was testing and I was down to consistent 3 Mbps speeds. Cooling it off inside the house before hooking it up again outside brought the speeds back. This is the first time this has happened, but the conditions were hotter today than in the past where I had it located. It is possible that it was a coincidence, but the fact that it went away right after I cooled it down seems to jive with it being a self-preservation mechanism in the modem.
1337Jess

Post by 1337Jess »

What would you consider to be a hot temperature for an EM7565
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

According to Sierra, the module temp should be kept below 90 degree Celsius (or 194 Fahrenheit).

Temp Specs for EM7565.png

411110788 AirPrime EM7565 Product Technical Specification r9.pdf
xdavidx

Post by xdavidx »

Jim, do you have a link to that updated document. The one I find through google has "TBD" instead of 90 C, so is obviously not the latest version of the document.

The other relevant section reads: "TEMP_HI_WARN TBD•In the TEMP_HI_WARN state, the module may have reduced perfor-mance (Class B temperature range)"

That is the only reference I was able to find to what I experienced after it happened. I believe my temperature was at 85 C when I checked it and this was happening. Somewhere in one of the router screens, or after issuing a modem command, it also listed a high temp warning next to the temperature. Once it got below 85, I believe that warning went away, but the speed issue persisted. I can't remember if it said "normal" or "high", but without the warning.

It isn't something I want to reproduce, but that's what I can remember about it. My best guess is that the performance gets knocked down once you are above 80, as it lists in the documentation Jim provided, even though 70 to 80 would still be under Class B. No idea what "reduced operating parameters" take place between 70 and 80.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

Yep, updated the other post with the document. It also speaks about heatsinking. I have used adhesive heat sinks before on these modems that I purchased from eBay.
xdavidx

Post by xdavidx »

JimHelms wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:03 pm Yep, updated the other post with the document. It also speaks about heatsinking. I have used adhesive heat sinks before on these modems that I purchased from eBay.
Thanks for the document.

That's an idea. I don't know if it is related to my modem getting hot, but the router heat sink came off. It has some sort of rubbery pad that isn't very sticky that sticks to the circuit board on the back of the board. I mushed mine back on, but it could have come loose. I ordered some thermal glue from Amazon to get it to stay on permanently.

I'll have to look at mine the next time it is open to see how much room there is above the modem. I have 2 SMA adapters from my 2.4 GHz wifi that are tucked into the open space of the router (taped up), so there might not be enough space for a heat sink if that open area is above the modem. However, my situation was unique with the router right in direct sunlight on the roof. I'll have it in a cool basement for the permanent install. I could see people who take the boards out and put them in outside enclosures wanting to add a heat sink to the modem.
Svenhah
Been thanked: 0

WG3526 P EM7565 slow speeds

Post by Svenhah »

My previous version was 6.80 5004 and was fine, been using that for the last few months with no probs, I upgraded to the latest version 6.80 5058 a couple of days ago and am now getting much slower speeds, I have a 350mb cable connection and downloading on previous versions would yield decent speeds of around 250mbps roughly, now though it struggles to get even half that, I installed the version as an upgrade so it shouldnt have messed with any of my settings or config, Ive had a look and they all seem fine, tested using sabnzb and am getting a solid 275mbps from the same nzb.

There is obviously an issue with this somewhere, any ideas?
xdavidx

Re: WG3526 P EM7565 slow speeds

Post by xdavidx »

Svenhah wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:37 pm My previous version was 6.80 5004 and was fine, been using that for the last few months with no probs, I upgraded to the latest version 6.80 5058 a couple of days ago and am now getting much slower speeds, I have a 350mb cable connection and downloading on previous versions would yield decent speeds of around 250mbps roughly, now though it struggles to get even half that, I installed the version as an upgrade so it shouldnt have messed with any of my settings or config, Ive had a look and they all seem fine, tested using sabnzb and am getting a solid 275mbps from the same nzb.

There is obviously an issue with this somewhere, any ideas?
I'm not sure I understand. You have a 350 Mbps cable internet connection. You used to get 250 Mbps from the router with the cable connection as the feed. After upgrading the NewsBin software on a client machine that is connected to the router (over ethernet or wifi), you then saw less than half those speeds (which would be about 125 Mbps).

Next, you tried another newsreader app (sabnzb) and got 275 Mbps.

I'm not sure how this is related to the WG3526-P or an LTE connection, but it seems to me like the new version of the NewsBin software has a bug that affects performance and you'll want to install the old version again.
1337Jess

Post by 1337Jess »

So the AT&T tech came out to setup the 3down 1up DSL line. We got to talking and he was telling me that the speed and reliability that I will be getting with DSL wont be much better than what I am currently dealing with with Verizon. That was a pretty big let down but I am happy he was honest with me. He then asked if I had tried any other carriers other than Verizon and I told him I had not. He pulled out his AT&T cell phone and we ran speedtests at the exact same time. Him on AT&T, me on Verizon. I got 4 down and 3up. He got 38down and 10up. I was shocked. He said the issue is likely with my Verizon service. I cancelled the DSL install, went to Walmart and got a AT&T BYOD SIM card. I purchased an AT&T unlimited ipad plan and popped the SIM in my WG3526-P. The difference is night and day. I guess Verizon is so overly congested here becasue Verizon really is the only reliable network in mountains where I live.

Below is a speedtest from this morning around the time I normally get brutally slow speeds on Verizon.
xdavidx

Post by xdavidx »

Ha! Problem solved!

I am curious, could you run at!gstatus? during the speed test and post the results? I am curious which bands you are getting and how wide the bandwidth is for each.
1337Jess

Post by 1337Jess »

Current Time:  6158		Temperature: 56
Reset Counter: 1		        Mode:        ONLINE         
LTE band:      B2     		        LTE bw:      20 MHz  
LTE Rx chan:   900		        LTE Tx chan: 18900
LTE SSC1 state:INACTIVE    	LTE SSC1 band: B12    
LTE SSC1 bw  : 10 MHz  		LTE SSC1 chan: 5110
EMM state:     Registered     	Normal Service 
RRC state:     RRC Connected  

PCC RxM RSSI:  -69		PCC RxM RSRP:  -104
PCC RxD RSSI:  -72		        PCC RxD RSRP:  -108
SCC1 RxM RSSI: -84		SCC1 RxM RSRP: -103
SCC1 RxD RSSI: -75		        SCC1 RxD RSRP: -93
Tx Power:      17		        TAC:         2390 (9104)
RSRQ (dB):     -12.3		Cell ID:     02825b09 (42097417)
SINR (dB):     11.4
xdavidx

Post by xdavidx »

It will be interesting to see what speeds you get when other people are sleeping. You have 30 MHz now. Maybe you'll get more then or more out of what you do get. I get 20 MHz (15 + 5) during the day and can only get about 50 Mbps out of that, usually, as a top speed. Late at night I start getting 30 MHz (15 + 10 + 5) and can get in the 70 Mbps range at first and all the way up to 90 Mbps when the towers are mostly dormant.

My RSRP values are a bit better, so maybe you're at your top speed and AT&T tower congestion (target tower or inter-tower) isn't holding you back during the days. If you do get another band at night, that will boost it even more. It would be educational if you could post off hour results too.

Congats on escaping bandwidth hell. :-)
swwifty

Post by swwifty »

Sorry, I should have responded sooner to this thread. In my limited experience Verizon's networks are very congested compared to AT&Ts. I think its because Verizon has a reputation for good coverage, which is true. This brings more mobile phone users to their network, and because we are trying to use 4G connections for home internet essentially, there isn't any capacity available for what we are trying to accomplish.

I'm glad to see you got this figured out though. Where do you live out of curiosity?
1337Jess

Post by 1337Jess »

Sevierville, Tennessee
swwifty

Post by swwifty »

1337Jess wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:27 pm Sevierville, Tennessee
Makes sense, I'm up near Clayton, GA.

The mountains help limit usage of the cells as well by blocking range :)
tgoodwin
Been thanked: 0

Post by tgoodwin »

I'm curious on the AT&T plan you got. I'm on the Verizon train. Started with a prepaid SIM and got terrible speeds. Moved to a paid unlimited plan and it got better but still slow. Finally got a leased grandfathered unlimited plan off eBay and am getting decent speeds. With help here it seems as though the towers are jam packed. Does AT&T play the same throttling/prioritized traffic game? I'm wanting to try them and was going to go back to eBay and get a SIM.
xdavidx

Post by xdavidx »

tgoodwin wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:24 pm Does AT&T play the same throttling/prioritized traffic game? I'm wanting to try them and was going to go back to eBay and get a SIM.
Speaking only to that part of the question, AT&T deprioritizes you instead of throttling (where throttling is defined as setting a speed limit for the rest of your cycle). If the tower gets congested, then you'll be at a lower priority than other people and you'll have slower speeds than them. If they hop off, your speeds should go right back to fast.

In about another week, I'll be testing before and after my cycle restarts to see how much of an effect it has on me. I went over the 22 GB very early in testing the LTE router. :)

I bought my sim card for $5 at an AT&T store. Just told them I needed a nano-sized sim. I got a nano-sized, because I wanted to be able to use it in my daughter's phone too. I use an adapter to up-size it for my LTE router. Others have gotten the H2O sim cars from Walmart, I believe. I went into my Walmart and they said they don't carry any sim cards, period.
1337Jess

Post by 1337Jess »

tgoodwin wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:24 pm I'm curious on the AT&T plan you got. I'm on the Verizon train. Started with a prepaid SIM and got terrible speeds. Moved to a paid unlimited plan and it got better but still slow. Finally got a leased grandfathered unlimited plan off eBay and am getting decent speeds. With help here it seems as though the towers are jam packed. Does AT&T play the same throttling/prioritized traffic game? I'm wanting to try them and was going to go back to eBay and get a SIM.
I originally had an Unlimited Verizon plan which was not cutting it. I am now using an Unlimited AT&T iPad plan which is 1000x better than my Verizon plan. Not only the speed but the reliability as well.

Seems to me like every carrier has their own way of either throttling and or deprioritizing. I am currently at 17.5gb of my 22gb until deprioritizing. I am out of town at the moment so I wont be able to hit 22gb until this weekend. From what I have been told, the deprioritizing only happens if AT&T sees your connection is congesting their towers so there really is no way to know. I also believe deprioritizing happens based on location. Unfortunately there really is no way to tell. You just have to hit 22gb and see what happens. I know others with the same plan I have that are using 2TB of data a month without any kind of throttling or deprioritizing. We also dont know if this is just temporary. It's only a matter of time until carriers find out what we are doing and start shutting it down. From what it looks like it's already happening to some.
xdavidx

Post by xdavidx »

1337Jess wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:50 am From what it looks like it's already happening to some.
Some AT&T users are being shut down?

I figure that AT&T knows what is going on, but they are making money, so they don't care. It keeps people away from their competitors. And with deprioritization, it shouldn't affect other customers, so a win-win for everyone.

But I do wonder if the landscape will change and when there are hiccups, I sometimes do think the worse. :lol: There are other 3rd party services that buy in bulk from the main carriers and provide unlimited service. It just costs more than the iPad plan. Those are my Plan B.

Starlink, from SpaceX, will provide some competition, but that's mostly for fixed location internet. Hopefully it will still have some effect on pricing of cellular providers. Pricing also gets interesting when the cellular providers go all in on unlimited, fixed location internet service (home internet service).
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

From a post on the Hacks FB Group:

5TB ATT Data Usage.jpg
xdavidx

Post by xdavidx »

And they still have over 15% of their cycle to go! That's some heavy usage.
1337Jess

Post by 1337Jess »

xdavidx wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:23 pm Some AT&T users are being shut down?

I figure that AT&T knows what is going on, but they are making money, so they don't care. It keeps people away from their competitors. And with deprioritization, it shouldn't affect other customers, so a win-win for everyone.

But I do wonder if the landscape will change and when there are hiccups, I sometimes do think the worse. :lol: There are other 3rd party services that buy in bulk from the main carriers and provide unlimited service. It just costs more than the iPad plan. Those are my Plan B.

Starlink, from SpaceX, will provide some competition, but that's mostly for fixed location internet. Hopefully it will still have some effect on pricing of cellular providers. Pricing also gets interesting when the cellular providers go all in on unlimited, fixed location internet service (home internet service).
I wasnt speaking about AT&T users specifically. I meant across the board. Like how Verizon can tell if your device is being used as a hotspot so the throttle the bandwidth. Things like that. I feel like that will become more common as time goes on.

Isnt Starlink just a system of satellites? Isnt that what we are all trying to avoid by using LTE? Unless Musk can combat the terrible latency and unreliability issues of your typical satellite carrier then I'm sticking to LTE. But you never know, that guy seems to always have surprises up his sleeve.
1337Jess

Post by 1337Jess »

JimHelms wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:36 pm From a post on the Hacks FB Group:

5TB ATT Data Usage.jpg
Im curious what exact plan this user has...
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

1337Jess wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:53 pm Im curious what exact plan this user has...
Not sure. Did not say.
xdavidx

Post by xdavidx »

1337Jess wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:52 pm I wasnt speaking about AT&T users specifically. I meant across the board. Like how Verizon can tell if your device is being used as a hotspot so the throttle the bandwidth. Things like that. I feel like that will become more common as time goes on.
Ah, I see. Let's hope not. :D
1337Jess wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:52 pm Isnt Starlink just a system of satellites? Isnt that what we are all trying to avoid by using LTE? Unless Musk can combat the terrible latency and unreliability issues of your typical satellite carrier then I'm sticking to LTE. But you never know, that guy seems to always have surprises up his sleeve.
Starlink is a different animal. HughesNet type solutions are geostationary orbits, way the heck up there, hence the latency issue. Starlink, and other solutions that are planned, are low earth orbit. Because they are low earth orbit, they need to move relative to the earth to stay in orbit. And because of that, they need many more satellites. They will create a grid around the earth of thousands of orbiting satellites and the antenna on the ground will track their movements and switch off from one to another as they whiz by overhead. It isn't mechanical tracking, however. It uses beamforming, so there aren't moving parts.

Because these are in various low earth orbits (they won't all be at the same altitude, but they'll all be *much* closer than the geostationary satellites), the latency is lower. We're talking about 30ms type latency vs the 600ms type latency of geostationary satellite internet.

Speeds to end users are unknown at this point in time, but best guess is many hundreds of mbps or gigabit speeds.
xdavidx

Post by xdavidx »

Oh, and although there might be some sort of throttling or deprioritization, I would be very surprised if there are data caps with the Starlink system like there are with geostationary services. Assuming things don't fall apart with the LEO systems, I see the geostationary services going away.
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

https://youtu.be/k73AFybi7zk

Video of how Starlink will work. Good coverage, would hate to plot a manned trajectory through that cloud. Reminds me of the snowballing collision at the beginning of "Gravity". LOL

As mentioned, the Starlink constellation will be about 350 miles up, vs the current ~25,000 miles of the Hughesnet type birds. That's where the huge reduction in latency comes from.
xdavidx

Post by xdavidx »

motoguy wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:40 am https://youtu.be/k73AFybi7zk

Video of how Starlink will work. Good coverage, would hate to plot a manned trajectory through that cloud. Reminds me of the snowballing collision at the beginning of "Gravity". LOL
I've thought that same thing!

Thanks for posting the latest video from Mark Handley. The thing I can't figure out is how they are going to support enough people under each of those overlapping, circular, coverage areas with the capacity of each satellite (10 Gbps). I think they'll need to increase it by a couple orders of magnitude, and even then, it won't be an ultra fast connection, but might support enough people who have poor options where they live, and allow them to stream video concurrently. But with the current capacity, it will need to be a very sparsely populated area of paying users in order for them to have reasonable, concurrent speeds.

Now, there are those out there who will say that it is only meant for very sparsely populated areas. But there are plenty of not so sparsely populated areas that have horrible access to high speed internet. And I see a problem of too many of them jumping on this thing and fighting with each other for limited bandwidth. It will be interesting to see if they limit which geographic areas can subscribe, or they put a limit on how many can subscribe, or how they are going to handle it. They *could* make people pay for a quota of bandwidth per month, but everything I've seen seems to indicate that they are against that idea, since that is one of the thing people hate about the higher latency satellite internet systems (besides the high latency). And if they do that, they will limit it to only low bandwidth use, which would be a shame.
BillA

Post by BillA »

In order the narrow down whether it's your modem or router at fault for your low speeds, remove or disable the internal modem in the router, and connect your mobile phone with the ATT sim to the router via a USB cable. On the phone turn on USB tether and set everything up under your router's wireless settings. This should give you some idea what's actually causing your low speeds.

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”