Quectel RM520N-GL modem came with corrupted IMEI.

Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
KingGGs

Quectel RM520N-GL modem came with corrupted IMEI.

Post by KingGGs »

Hello All, I recently purchased a new in box Quectel RM520N-GL to pair it with my new ZBT WG1602 routerboard(GoldenOrb Rooter Flashed into it). But it seems that the IMEI on the modem info page shows 0s as the IMEI and I am confused because It wont connect to my T-mobile Sim card even tho I put in the right APN info for tmobile. Anyone here have tried to repair the IMEI before? I looked online and someone had posted a AT command for to change IMEI to quectel modems but that one did not work. It threw an Error, whereas the other AT commands work perfectly.

Anyone here who owns the 500 series Quectel modems tried repairing/Changing IMEI to the IMEI written on the module? Im using the latest Rooter Firmware BTW.
Rockyhud1

Re: Quectel RM520N-GL modem came with corrupted IMEI.

Post by Rockyhud1 »

I too will be interested to get the details for changing the IMEI on this particular modem. I bought a RM520N-GL about a week ago and I'm using it with a USB3 modem adapter/enclosure that is connected to my Netgear R7800 router that I flashed to ROOter firmware (Netgear-R7800-full-GO2022-11-10-factory.bin). I'm also trying to use the SIM that came with the T-Mobile Arcadyan KVD21 Gateway for our T-Mo Home Internet data plan. The original IMEI for my modem shows accurately (so it isn't corrupted) in my case. The modem logging shows the following, which shows it trying to register with the network then failing over and over again. I highly suspect this is being caused by the Quectel modem IMEI not matching the IMEI assigned to the Arcadyan KVD21 but I'm not discounting the possibility that other settings may also need to be configured or changed for the modem to connect. So, I would also appreciate knowing how to accomplish this. Also, if there are any other config setting to check or change in order to get this modem to register/connect properly with the T-Mo network, I would be grateful to get that info too. Last thing - if more data is needed from me (and I think this would apply to @KingGGs) as well, I'll capture whatever logs that might be helpful in troubleshooting this issue.

Thu Nov 17 15:27:24 2022 : MBIM Connect Stopping network
Thu Nov 17 15:27:25 2022 : MBIM Connect 1 Query radio state
Thu Nov 17 15:27:25 2022 : MBIM Connect 1 Reading capabilities
Thu Nov 17 15:27:25 2022 : MBIM Connect 1 Checking subscriber
Thu Nov 17 15:27:25 2022 : MBIM Connect 1 Checking PIN state
Thu Nov 17 15:27:25 2022 : MBIM Connect 1 PIN is not required
Thu Nov 17 15:27:25 2022 : MBIM Connect 1 Register with network
Thu Nov 17 15:27:25 2022 : MBIM Connect 1 Subscriber registration failed
Thu Nov 17 15:27:25 2022 : MBIM Connect 1 MBIM bringup failed, retry in 5s
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Quectel modems all use the same command to see the imei. Look for information on AT+EGMR
Rockyhud1

Post by Rockyhud1 »

Thanks, but I don't need to see the IMEI - it's originally assigned IMEI is correctly displayed in my ROOter modem management section. What I need is the AT command, and process, if it's more than just issueing one command, in order to modify, change or repair the IMEI so the T-Mobile network will allow the modem to register and connect to the network. I've read elsewhere that carriers, at least some, use the IMEI reported by the home internet gateway or modem device to determine whether it will be allowed to register and connect to their network.
bjames

Post by bjames »

To repair the IMEI on the Quectel modems:

Code: Select all

AT +EGMR=1,7,"xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
where x's represent the IMEI to be programmed into the modem.
Rockyhud1

Post by Rockyhud1 »

Didneywhorl,
Apparently my "noob-ness" was showing when I replied to you. I didn't realize you were throwing out a hint to use searching here or elsewhere that would provide some, if not the full range of info regarding the AT command for IMEI. Thank you for doing that.
Rockyhud1

Post by Rockyhud1 »

Thank you too, bjames.
KingGGs

Post by KingGGs »

Rockyhud1 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:34 pm Thank you too, bjames.
Hello sorry For just now replying as I dont come online too often. But Yes the above AT command mentioned is how I got my corrupted IMEI changed to the original/ or rather the one that matches my iphone so the SIM card thinks its a phone connection. And also one more thing to note.

on the Rooter settings on the modem section enable TTL value at 64 and also check the box for "Adjust TTL for Hostless Modem". This will tell the Tmobile servers/towers that its a phone modem not a m.2 modem connected to a router.

Return to “Quectel Modems”