Trouble connecting to EC25-AF modem on WE826-WD

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
tilde
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Trouble connecting to EC25-AF modem on WE826-WD

Post by tilde »

Hi,

I have a WE826-WD router running GoldenOrb_2022-10-06 with a Quectel EC25-AF modem installed.

I got it to connect to T-Mobile once by running an AT command to switch to MBIM mode, but the modem was having latency spike to 300ms to 500ms from sub-100ms, so I tried switching it to QMI mode and the modem became unresponsive (see picture attached).

What should I try to get this modem working again? I don't see a /dev/cdc-wdm0 when I ssh in and look at the /dev directory, and it appears screen, socat and similar are not installed so I can't poke at the various /dev/ttyUSB0 through /dev/ttyUSB2 devices and see which one is the modem, and running an AT command through the GoldenOrb web UI times out eventually.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Didneywhorl

Re: Trouble connecting to EC25-AF modem on WE826-WD

Post by Didneywhorl »

You're going to have to plug in another internet source and install socat or picocom. Or pull the modem and use serial comms on Windows or Linux.

That looks like you accidentally put it in ECM mode. (1)
tilde
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by tilde »

Thanks for the pointer @Didneywhorl!

I installed minicom, then ran
minicom -s
and edited the connection setting then chose exit, which put me into a prompt to send AT commands. Sending AT+QPRTPARA=3 then AT+QPRTPARA=1 then AT+QCFG="usbnet",0 and setting the APN to fast.t-mobile.com, TTL to 64 (in the APN menu in Rooter) and rebooting got me online :)

Any tips for reducing the latency spikes? I have another identical WE826-WD router running Rooter with a Fibocom NL668-EAU LTE card (connected to Band 41) and it rarely has latency spikes. This EC25-AF picked Band 2, going to see if I can push it to other bands.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Most likely related to the band chosen. Could also be that both modems are being geo assigned different locations causing different pathways between the two. :Shrug: Hard to say.

Return to “General and Unclassified”