EM9191: PIN code rejected

Sierra Wireless AirPrime Modem Card Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
Jflex113

EM9191: PIN code rejected

Post by Jflex113 »

Hello,
I've recently built a WiFix NEXS2GO w/ an EM9191 in a WiFix V7 m.2 enclosure. It's working well and blowing the previous EM7565 setup outta the water. I have it set to NR 5G SA pulling a single band of n71 on T-Mobile. When it's working it works flawlessly however, after soft reboots or when I was initially setting it up it would see the SIM card, the phone number associated with it and see the tower but would not connect. When it does this, the wwan0 interface is showing no IP or connection and is giving the error "PIN code rejected". I have never once before needed a SIM card pin code for anything on T-Mobile and this is a brand new SIM card directly from T-Mobile. I still have the credit card sized new sim card thing they give with all the info on it including the PUK code for resetting a PIN code if needed. No where on that card does it have a PIN code. A quick search shows that the default PIN code for T-Mobile 1234 if it is being used. I am on a Magenta MAX plan with as well.

When this issue occurs I usually have to hard reboot the router by unplugging it and plugging it back in. A soft reboot does not fix the issue. I'm at a lose for how to keep this from happening. I travel for work and the last thing I want is for it fail while I'm gone and my family not have any internet. Any help is appreciated!

Code: Select all

AT!IMPREF?
!IMPREF: 
 preferred fw version:    03.09.11.00
 preferred carrier name:  GENERIC
 preferred config name:   GENERIC_030.044_000
 preferred subpri index:  000
 current fw version:      03.09.11.00
 current carrier name:    GENERIC
 current config name:     GENERIC_030.044_000
 current subpri index:    000

OK

at+cgdcont?
+CGDCONT: 1,"IPV4V6","fast.t-mobile.com","0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0",0,0,0,0,,,,,,,,,"",,,,0
+CGDCONT: 2,"IPV4V6","fast.t-mobile.com","0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0",0,0,0,0,,,,,,,,,"",,,,0

OK

at!gstatus?
!GSTATUS: 
Current Time:  1002		Temperature: 31
Thermal Mitigation Level: 0
Reset Counter: 1		Mode:        ONLINE         
System mode:   NR5G       	PS state:    Attached     
IMS reg state: NOT REGISTERED  	IMS mode:    Normal       
IMS Srv State: UNKNOWN SMS,UNKNOWN VoIP

NR5G TAC:        a6ff00        		NR5G Cell ID:    595
NR5G band:       n71       		NR5G Carrier ID: 0
NR5G dl bw:      15 MHz    		NR5G ul bw:      15 MHz    
NR5G Tx Power:   0         		NR5G Tx chan:    136100
NR5G Rx chan:    126900
NR5G dl MIMO:    2         		NR5G ul MIMO:    1
NR5G(sub6) RxM RSSI (dBm):   -52.8	NR5G(sub6) RxD RSSI (dBm):   -48.6
NR5G(sub6) RxM1 RSSI (dBm):  ---  	NR5G(sub6) RxD1 RSSI (dBm):  ---	

NR5G RSRP (dBm): ---			NR5G RSRQ (dB):  ---	
NR5G SINR (dB):  ---	

OK
Connectiong Profile EM9191 T-Mobile 8-28-2022.JPG

Speed test taken at 03:46 about 3 miles away with LOS to tower using directional Yagi Antennas 4x4 MIMO (WiFix 600 Mhz - 6000 Mhz Range)
Speed test band n71 8-28-2022 03.46.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Didneywhorl

Re: EM9191: PIN code rejected

Post by Didneywhorl »

That's add as heck.

Maybe put a PIN code in at the connection profile, reboot. Then delete it and save, and reboot. Hard reboots. That or maybe completely wipe the router with a recovery flash and a factory reset, then manually config it all again?

That is odd for sure.
Jflex113

Post by Jflex113 »

It's very odd. I agree though and don't think it's anything to do with the modem and it's something router related with the firmware. I'll give that a go this weekend when I'm home again. My concern is that if the connection monitor reboots the modem and it glitches out with this pin code rejected error someone at my house is going to have to manually reboot the router. Not the biggest problem but definitely an annoyance for sure. Especially if I had a security system or something that need constant internet connection.

I did try what you suggested already with a couple of different codes and it didn't work. It only works if there is nothing in the pin code and a hard reboot. But like I said I'll tinker with it some more and see if I can eliminate that issue from occurring again. Other than that this setup is everything I'd hoped it be and solved a lot of issues for me.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Maybe turn on the custom ping test. Should have the option to reboot the router with no internet connection after X tries or something.

Return to “Sierra Wireless Modems”