NightHawk m5 adding bands not activated by default

Topics for Netgear Nighthawks MRxxxx Series Hotspots
gled_fr
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

NightHawk m5 adding bands not activated by default

Post by gled_fr »

Hi there,

I have a mr5200-NAS but i am currently in europe, so I can access only a few of the LTE bands and no 5G bands.

I was wondering what prevents the mr5200 to use the 5G bands in europe, as I doubt they would manufacture physical different devices, I guess the limit is the baseband that somehow lock the NAS and the EU to use different bands.

Is there a way to flash the EU version when in EU and flash it back to NAS when in the US ?

I can probably get my hand on a mr-5200-eu loaner if need be to dump something...

Any pointers ?

Thanks in advance !
gled_fr
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: NightHawk m5 adding bands not activated by default

Post by gled_fr »

After a bit of research, it seems like the band definitions supported by the modem ( you can get the list with AT!BAND=? ) change depending on where you buy the hotspot, the most being in Australia apparently. This leads me to indicate that the supported bands must be defined in the modem NV, that could be accessible with a tool to edit the modem params diagnostic mode.

I am currently looking into getting into diagnostic mode and finding out if this is easily edited, or getting it done with @Rich Hathaway since he seems very knowledgeable about those devices.

learning curve is fun, but if the pros can do it quickly, might as well go with them :)

Return to “Nighthawks MR1100 - MR5200 (M1...M5...)”