Trying to decide on a car 4G LTE router

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
stealthrt
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Trying to decide on a car 4G LTE router

Post by stealthrt »

Hi all I am in a hunt for a 4G router that I can put (and leave) inside my car for internet for my kids on road trips and just short trips. I am wanting something that obviously needs to take the heat (and cold) of the different temperatures a car goes through. I would like to be able to hard wire it and somewhat hide it in the car with only an extended antenna for the back window to pick up the best signal it can get. My budget is $150 max.

I'm guessing that carrier aggregation is quite important since this will be in a moving vehicle instead of just being stationary?

I'll be using this on an actual Hotspot 50GB data only plan (https://www.verizon.com/plans/devices/hotspots/) from Verizon so bands 2, 4, 5, 13, 46, 48 & 66 with the most important really being 13 & 66. I would like to stay from CAT 4 or 6 for either 150MB/s & 300MB/s respectively.

So far the 2 that somewhat fits the above are:
WE826-T2: shorturl.at/djHSU
Inhand IR302: shorturl.at/iptIS
Cioswi WE826: shorturl.at/NT059

I am also in the lucky few who was able to get a Raspberry Pi 4 before they went out of stock so I've been thinking of doing the 4G Hat with that to have a very small footprint and perhaps better hardware since I would be buying the mPCIe card myself. Something along the lines of the
sixfab Raspberry Pi Cellular IoT Kit (shorturl.at/qrWZ4) or the WaveShare SIM7600G-H-M2 4G HAT (shorturl.at/hNWX8). I would just be lacking a metal case to put it all in as most I've seen are plastic (3d printed) or cost $80 just for the case alone. But the most burning question would be if I can run OpenWRT/ROOter on it without having to do all those AT commands?? They have a nice interface that makes setting up stuff like this a lot easier - or so it seems from the YouTube videos I've watched.

According to Verizon's Open Development website (shorturl.at/GMX24) there are a plethora of modem cards, routers and such that have been given the green light to activate on their network. Though I'm sure, knowing my luck, that it will still be a challenge when talking to Verizon to get the IMEI correct. It seems that Sierra Wireless cards are the most compatible with them?

Is https://www.542wifi.com/ a legit site to purchase from? I don't see a lot of reviews - none actually - for that company.

I wouldn't mind getting something from Alibaba but want to make sure it will work as I would be stuck with it since its crazy expensive to ship back a package to China.

Anyone know where I can purchase a case like this?

As always, if you all know of some other routers that would fit my needs better than please do share them!

Return to “General and Unclassified”