EM160 usb enclosure

Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
JoshKelly

EM160 usb enclosure

Post by JoshKelly »

@BillA

A while back, probably a year ago, you had recommended to me to use an external usb enclosure for my modem instead of mounting the router (WG1608) outside.

Well I am at a point where I either need a new router with modem support (rooter) to mount outside or convert to a usb enclosure setup outside keeping my current router inside, which DM is making rooter firmware for me.

Do you have any recommendation on a usb enclosure? I'd like for it to be USB C if they exist but the kicker here the run is ~75' through the attic. I'd like to power it through the same cable if possible (I doubt it) but if not I already have a POE 5E cable ran to the location I could tap into. The reason for requesting USB C is future proof.

To make a long story short is my WG1608 is dying. It is losing lan ports quickly (1 & 2) will only work at 10mbps right now. I believe this is happening because of the outside heat, we are reaching 110-115* days right now.

Would something like this work?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/153932261285?c ... rEEALw_wcB

or

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153902878087?_ ... %3A2047675

I was looking through the Haven Store and didn't see anything
Didneywhorl

Re: EM160 usb enclosure

Post by Didneywhorl »

The issue with placing the modem in a USB enclosure at distances over about 10 feet, with no power source at the modem site, is not the enclosure or even the cables (though Thick copper high quality USB cables are a must here). The problem is the voltage output of the device you are pluggin it into.

The voltage drop over a USB cable of relatively high quality at, say 20 feet, is approximately .5V+/-

The average router USB port has a voltage level of approximately 5.01V, sometimes less, give or take a variance of about 0.02VDC. A drop of 0.5V will make the modem reboot itself under load, if it boots up at all, as the voltage transformation to its used 3.3V and 1.8V (commonly) is linear to the input supply. This means that the lower the input supply the more direct of an effect it has on the ability to deliver 3.3V and 1.8V to the modem for operation.

IF you can supply a voltage that stays at about 5.1 to 5.15VDC at the OUTPUT END of the USB cable, where the modem adapter plugs in, then you will be fine in most cases.

I think 75 feet would be too much, but again if you can get the voltage to stay at 5.1 or so at the modem plug end of the cable you should be fine.
JoshKelly

Post by JoshKelly »

With all the above being said it doesn't look like this a a viable option for me.

Can you recommend an industrial grade router that would be ROOTer compatible and withstand these ambient temperatures? It would be great if it was smaller than the WG1608 but couldn't be any bigger.
JoshKelly

Post by JoshKelly »

This looks interesting but I'd want to make it a 4x4 instead of 2x2 and put the EM160 in it. What do you think?

https://mikrotik.com/product/lhg_lte18

Return to “Quectel Modems”