T-Mobile Loss of Internet but Modem is saying connected

Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
vahnwinkle

T-Mobile Loss of Internet but Modem is saying connected

Post by vahnwinkle »

@Didneywhorl

I have Calyx with RM500Q-AE 5g modem. Updated to the latest firmware on modem and router. I have 2 x 2 mimo antennas and my signal strength is around 93%. I frequently have disconnects every 24 hours. Mostly happens at night and when I wake up to turn on PC, it says no internet. When I check the router settings, I can clearly see the modem is still connected with 93% strength. However, the internet isn't working. I have been trying to fix this issue ever since I upgraded to Calyx 5g plan. When I had the 4g plan and Sprint sim, I had the router for over a year and never dropped connection. I have used EM12g modems to trouble shoot the issue and the problem still follows. I think it is something going on with T-Mobile refreshing something, IP address refresh, or something is kicking me out of the internet but I stay connected to bands. I have my router settings on IPV4 only as previously stated in my earlier trouble shooting posts and I have tried using all bands and locking bands with same results so I am at a loss and could use some help on this one. I am not to familiar with modem AT commands but I know how to send commands and obtain the information, I just don't know what a lot of it means. Pretty advanced for a regular user like myself. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will post pictures of my current settings. On a last note, I searched all over for this issue but couldn't find anything that would help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vahnwinkle

Re: T-Mobile Loss of Internet but Modem is saying connected

Post by vahnwinkle »

I haven't received a response in a while. Is this issue relevant? I could really use some help. My old sprint sim with calyx NEVER disconnected as long as I had it, but tmobiles sim disconnects regularly . Does anyone have a solution?
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

Have you tried using the B2B.tmobile.com APN?
vahnwinkle

Post by vahnwinkle »

JimHelms wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:16 am Have you tried using the B2B.tmobile.com APN?
Yes, their is no change.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

I would set it back to IPV4/IPV6 on fast.t-mobile.com and setup regular router reboots every morning right before you wake. A similar issue has been around at various points in time on all carriers. ATT and Verizon used to be the main culprits.

The Calyx type SIMs are definitely provisioned to the tmobile network differently than the straight Tmo SIMs and it's really starting to show. I honestly think they are trying to restrict these SIMs down to near uselessness. But I could be wrong. I hope I am, because I have a few of them. :)
macuseri686

Post by macuseri686 »

This issue also happens to me on tmobile magenta max with the same modem. ive setup an automatic reboot at 2am and also a connection check with router reboot if ping goes away. it happens sometimes sporadically through the day too, or when i visit certain things. one thing i know for certain triggers this, if if i open the ebay app on my iphone connected to the wifi, and navigate to the my purchases page, it insta kills my connection. still shows as connected with signal strength and everything but ping doesnt work etc. every time i do that, i can reproduce it. i wonder if the intermittent issue is caused by the same thing thats happening with the ebay app, but i have no idea why the app causes it either.
vahnwinkle

Post by vahnwinkle »

macuseri686 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:38 pm This issue also happens to me on tmobile magenta max with the same modem. ive setup an automatic reboot at 2am and also a connection check with router reboot if ping goes away. it happens sometimes sporadically through the day too, or when i visit certain things. one thing i know for certain triggers this, if if i open the ebay app on my iphone connected to the wifi, and navigate to the my purchases page, it insta kills my connection. still shows as connected with signal strength and everything but ping doesnt work etc. every time i do that, i can reproduce it. i wonder if the intermittent issue is caused by the same thing thats happening with the ebay app, but i have no idea why the app causes it either.
This is an interesting find. I use ebay regularly but it doesn't auto disconnect. It disconnects around the same time every day. Very weird.
LateParrot

Post by LateParrot »

Setting protocol type to ipv4 and enabling connection monitoring seemingly fixed the problem for me. I'm also on a postpaid phone sim.
macuseri686

Post by macuseri686 »

Update on this. i have fixed the issue and discovered the root cause via the Quectel forums: https://forums.quectel.com/t/rm502q-ae- ... cted/18377
This router [wg1608] specially versions “V1 and V2” boards have WiFi problems on 5.8G when you install a modem in the M.2 slot. If you move your Modem RM502Q-AE to an external adapter and connect via USB to the ZBT 1608 the problem will go away.

I would suggest stay away from the ZBT WG1608 router.
vahnwinkle

Post by vahnwinkle »

macuseri686 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:23 am Update on this. i have fixed the issue and discovered the root cause via the Quectel forums: https://forums.quectel.com/t/rm502q-ae- ... cted/18377
This router [wg1608] specially versions “V1 and V2” boards have WiFi problems on 5.8G when you install a modem in the M.2 slot. If you move your Modem RM502Q-AE to an external adapter and connect via USB to the ZBT 1608 the problem will go away.

Thank you for this. I will try a new router.
vahnwinkle

Post by vahnwinkle »

macuseri686 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:23 am Update on this. i have fixed the issue and discovered the root cause via the Quectel forums: https://forums.quectel.com/t/rm502q-ae- ... cted/18377

I wanted to ask, do you think the problem will persist if I use another router brand. I was looking into other routers capable of using the Rooter of Men firmware. Thanks for your information.
mtl26637

Post by mtl26637 »

IMO, I wouldn't purchase new equipment right yet. I messed with mine all weekend and still have issues on completely different setup. Something seems to be broken with RM500Q-AE and T-mobile combo. I have WRT32X router and have same issues. On the other hand I wouldn't use the router with the modem for 'wifi' no matter what the router was. I would use another router as an access point for wifi purposes.
vahnwinkle

Post by vahnwinkle »

mtl26637 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:16 am IMO, I wouldn't purchase new equipment right yet. I messed with mine all weekend and still have issues on completely different setup. Something seems to be broken with RM500Q-AE and T-mobile combo. I have WRT32X router and have same issues. On the other hand I wouldn't use the router with the modem for 'wifi' no matter what the router was. I would use another router as an access point for wifi purposes.
I ordered a used Linksys 1900ACS with the Modem USB 3.0 housing mentioned earlier in this post in one of the links. I am going to Install the firmware from Rooter on the Linksys and then tether the modem, which will be installed in that USB3.0 to NGFF M.2 Key B 4G 5G Modem Adapter Enclosure with SIM Card Slot. I hope by creating two separate systems and modes of failure, I will be able to pinpoint the culprit that keeps disconnecting my modem. I am running a Quectel 520N right now but I have had this issue with all ZBT routers. I am assuming the issue is with the ZBT but not sure. I spent 50 on the used router and 50 on the enclosure. If $100 fixes the problem for good, I will be happy. I will report back to this post if this solves the issue so that others will have a solution.
macuseri686

Post by macuseri686 »

vahnwinkle wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:19 pmI ordered a used Linksys 1900ACS with the Modem USB 3.0 housing mentioned earlier in this post in one of the links. I am going to Install the firmware from Rooter on the Linksys and then tether the modem, which will be installed in that USB3.0 to NGFF M.2 Key B 4G 5G Modem Adapter Enclosure with SIM Card Slot. I hope by creating two separate systems and modes of failure, I will be able to pinpoint the culprit that keeps disconnecting my modem. I am running a Quectel 520N right now but I have had this issue with all ZBT routers. I am assuming the issue is with the ZBT but not sure. I spent 50 on the used router and 50 on the enclosure. If $100 fixes the problem for good, I will be happy. I will report back to this post if this solves the issue so that others will have a solution.
One thing to note about that external M.2 to USB enclosure: having the metal lid on seems to cause some SINR issues, at least for me. im currently working on a workaround for that. in the meantime, leave the lid off for best thermal and signal performance. viewtopic.php?p=26097#p26097
LateParrot

Post by LateParrot »

A little update, I've just had to reboot the modem twice tonight using a WE1326 and an external enclosure. Odd how it worked fine for almost a week with no issues now I'm getting the same problem. I'm gonna completely disable the wifi on it and see if it happens again.
macuseri686

Post by macuseri686 »

LateParrot wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:57 am A little update, I've just had to reboot the modem twice tonight using a WE1326 and an external enclosure. Odd how it worked fine for almost a week with no issues now I'm getting the same problem. I'm gonna completely disable the wifi on it and see if it happens again.
So when you had to reboot it, did the internet stop working? or just the wifi? could you send pings out from the diagnostics page in the router?

Also, is your username by any chance, a reference to the Monty Python sketch?
LateParrot

Post by LateParrot »

macuseri686 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:41 pm
LateParrot wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:57 am A little update, I've just had to reboot the modem twice tonight using a WE1326 and an external enclosure. Odd how it worked fine for almost a week with no issues now I'm getting the same problem. I'm gonna completely disable the wifi on it and see if it happens again.
So when you had to reboot it, did the internet stop working? or just the wifi? could you send pings out from the diagnostics page in the router?

Also, is your username by any chance, a reference to the Monty Python sketch?
Just the internet, wifi stays up and the modem tells me it's connected but the connection monitor tells me "DOWN". When I say rebooting it I'm just doing the modem, 'at+cfun=1,1'. I had this same problem with an em7565 and switched to visible because of it but visible is way to slow.

And yes it is. ;)
macuseri686

Post by macuseri686 »

LateParrot wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:41 pm Just the internet, wifi stays up and the modem tells me it's connected but the connection monitor tells me "DOWN". When I say rebooting it I'm just doing the modem, 'at+cfun=1,1'. I had this same problem with an em7565 and switched to visible because of it but visible is way to slow.

And yes it is. ;)
ah, yeah, that was the exact same symptom i was having before too. strange how its happening again for you after a week, even with the m.2 to usb enclosure. is there by any chance a website or app you can remember using each time it happened?

nice, thats one of my favorites too
LateParrot

Post by LateParrot »

macuseri686 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:15 am ah, yeah, that was the exact same symptom i was having before too. strange how its happening again for you after a week, even with the m.2 to usb enclosure. is there by any chance a website or app you can remember using each time it happened?

Nothing specific I know of. I've got a bunch of devices connected(switches, APs, computers, phones, TVs, chromcast & firesticks) so it won't be easy to narrow down. If anything I'd expect it to be torrents but I run them all the time without issue.

Last night I disabled the wifi on the router then rebooted the modem only and it happened again, then I power cycled the setup and now it's been up for about 22 hours without issue. Fingers crossed that gets it.
Just for good measure here's 2 older topics detailing the same issue
viewtopic.php?p=17993
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1407
Try not to necropost them

An edit: 1 day 18hrs later it went down again. At least in my case it's unrelated to wifi on the router. Any suggestions on what to try next?
vahnwinkle

Post by vahnwinkle »

LateParrot wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:51 pm
macuseri686 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:15 am ah, yeah, that was the exact same symptom i was having before too. strange how its happening again for you after a week, even with the m.2 to usb enclosure. is there by any chance a website or app you can remember using each time it happened?

Nothing specific I know of. I've got a bunch of devices connected(switches, APs, computers, phones, TVs, chromcast & firesticks) so it won't be easy to narrow down. If anything I'd expect it to be torrents but I run them all the time without issue.

Last night I disabled the wifi on the router then rebooted the modem only and it happened again, then I power cycled the setup and now it's been up for about 22 hours without issue. Fingers crossed that gets it.
Just for good measure here's 2 older topics detailing the same issue
viewtopic.php?p=17993
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1407
Try not to necropost them

An edit: 1 day 18hrs later it went down again. At least in my case it's unrelated to wifi on the router. Any suggestions on what to try next?
macuseri686 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:15 am
LateParrot wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:41 pm Just the internet, wifi stays up and the modem tells me it's connected but the connection monitor tells me "DOWN". When I say rebooting it I'm just doing the modem, 'at+cfun=1,1'. I had this same problem with an em7565 and switched to visible because of it but visible is way to slow.

And yes it is. ;)
ah, yeah, that was the exact same symptom i was having before too. strange how its happening again for you after a week, even with the m.2 to usb enclosure. is there by any chance a website or app you can remember using each time it happened?

Reporting back! So, tonight I finished setting up my Linksys 1900AC v2. I used a m.2 sled with a USB 3.0 with my Quectel Modem inside to connect my Linksys router to the Quectel RM520N sled via 3.0 interface. I connected my mimo antennas, flashed the Linksys with the Rooter of Men Firm. Rebooted and everything recognized the modem in the sled tethered to the Linksys. I was very happy I got it working. Afterwards, I did a speed test on the set up and was surprised I was getting almost 200 mb down and 20 up. About 30 minutes passed and suddenly the router lost connection. So, I opened up rooter and checked the modem. The status was connected but internet was down. I couldn't access websites. I reset the modem and began playing a pc game with my wife. About 1.5 hours in the internet went out again. So far I am at a loss with the issue. At this point I have tried everything under the sun to identify the issue. I believe after everything I have done, I think its a conflict with the Quectel Modem and the T-mobile towers. Something in the modem is telling the tower it doesn't like it and it disconnects the internet. The only sure fire way to rectify the issue after the internet is gone is to restart the modem. I use AT+CFUN=1,1 and it boots up fine evertime until the next disconnection happens. These disconnects are intermittent. My conclusion is that the Quectel modems are not fully compatible with T-mobile towers right now. I am not sure what the issue is but so far I have changed IP Protocols IPV4 only, changed devices multiple times, changed antennas, used a sled, tried multiple name brand routers including ZBT and now Linksys 1900. When the modem works, it works great but the disconnects really ruin the point. If ANYONE ever reads this post with a solution I would be so grateful. My wife and I work from home and we dont really have any other options for internet. Currently, I switched my ZBT WG3526 and tethered the USB to the sled. I will monitor it over night to see if I get any random disocnnects. If I do, I will report back with the findings but in the mean time if anyone finds a solution I would love to know how to fix this once and for all. I think its a AT command setting in the Quectel thats forcing issue with tmobile towers but I do not know enough about the modems to understand the more advanced commands. Otherwise, I would play around and see what would work.
vahnwinkle

Post by vahnwinkle »

Another post I read asked for these command returns but I dont know what it means.

AT+CGDCONT?

AT+CGDCONT?
+CGDCONT: 1,"IPV4V6","fast.t-mobile.com","0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0",0,0,0,0,,,,,,,,,"",,,,0
+CGDCONT: 2,"IPV4V6","ims","0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0",0,0,0,0,,,,,,,,,"",,,,1
+CGDCONT: 3,"IPV4V6","sos","0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0",0,0,0,1,,,,,,,,,"",,,,1
+CGDCONT: 4,"IPV4V6","tmus","0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0",0,0,0,0,,,,,,,,,"",,,,0
+CGDCONT: 5,"IPV4V6","h2g2","0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0",0,0,0,0,,,,,,,,,"",,,,0
+CGDCONT: 6,"IPV4V6","pcweb.tmobile.com","0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0",0,0,0,0,,,,,,,,,"",,,,0

OK

AT+QMBNCFG="List"

AT+QMBNCFG="List"
+QMBNCFG: "List",0,1,1,"Commercial-TMO",0x0A01050F,202204081
+QMBNCFG: "List",1,0,0,"ROW_Commercial",0x0A010809,202111051
+QMBNCFG: "List",2,0,0,"ROW_Generic_3GPP_PTCRB_GCF",0x0A01FF09,202205261
+QMBNCFG: "List",3,0,0,"FirstNet",0x0A015300,202202101
+QMBNCFG: "List",4,0,0,"Rogers_Canada",0x0A014800,202111051
+QMBNCFG: "List",5,0,0,"Bell_Canada",0x0A014700,202111051
+QMBNCFG: "List",6,0,0,"Telus_Canada",0x0A014900,202112271
+QMBNCFG: "List",7,0,0,"Commercial-Sprint",0x0A010204,202111051
+QMBNCFG: "List",8,0,0,"VoLTE-ATT",0x0A010335,202111051
+QMBNCFG: "List",9,0,0,"CDMAless-Verizon",0x0A010126,202111051
+QMBNCFG: "List",10,0,0,"Telia_Sweden",0x0A012400,202111051
+QMBNCFG: "List",11,0,0,"TIM_Italy_Commercial",0x0A012B00,202111051
+QMBNCFG: "List",12,0,0,"France-Commercial-Orange",0x0A010B21,202111051
+QMBNCFG: "List",13,0,0,"Commercial-DT-VOLTE",0x0A011F1F,202111051
+QMBNCFG: "List",14,0,0,"Germany-VoLTE-Vodafone",0x0A010449,202111051
+QMBNCFG: "List",15,0,0,"UK-VoLTE-Vodafone",0x0A010426,202111051
+QMBNCFG: "List",16,0,0,"Commercial-EE",0x0A01220B,202111051
+QMBNCFG: "List",17,0,0,"Optus_Australia_Commercial",0x0A014400,202111051
+QMBNCFG: "List",18,0,0,"Telstra_Australia_Commercial",0x0A010F00,202204191
+QMBNCFG: "List",19,0,0,"Commercial-LGU",0x0A012608,202111051
+QMBNCFG: "List",20,0,0,"Commercial-KT",0x0A01280B,202111051
+QMBNCFG: "List",21,0,0,"Commercial-SKT",0x0A01270A,202111051
+QMBNCFG: "List",22,0,0,"Commercial-Reliance",0x0A011B0C,202111051
+QMBNCFG: "List",23,0,0,"Commercial-SBM",0x0A011C0B,202111051
+QMBNCFG: "List",24,0,0,"Commercial-KDDI",0x0A010709,202111051
+QMBNCFG: "List",25,0,0,"Commercial-DCM",0x0A010D0D,202111051
+QMBNCFG: "List",26,0,0,"VoLTE-CU",0x0A011561,202204211
+QMBNCFG: "List",27,0,0,"VoLTE_OPNMKT_CT",0x0A0113E0,202204211
+QMBNCFG: "List",28,0,0,"Volte_OpenMkt-Commercial-CMCC",0x0A012010,202111051

OK
LateParrot

Post by LateParrot »

vahnwinkle wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:16 pm I believe after everything I have done, I think its a conflict with the Quectel Modem and the T-mobile towers.
It's not explicitly the Quectel Modems, I had the same problem with the Sierra wireless em7565. My guess is something in the software that controls the modem. Need to do some more digging. Has anyone tried running in MBIM?
mtl26637

Post by mtl26637 »

I've literally tried it all. I have many different setups and this problem seems to be related to specifically T-mobile and the RM502Q-AE combination.
Yes over the years sierra and other may have had some issues with connection and no internet but I think those were resolved and this new issue is with the 502 only. Current setup is with the WRT32X. This exact setup worked fine until spring/summer when they started playing with 5G n41 and n71 at the tower. Tried too many things to list them all but a few being all protocols (ECM, QMI, MBIM), all firmware flashes for the 502, all band locking with all modes (LTE, LTE:NR5G, NR5G), qmbncfg settings of 'autosel' on/off, deactivate, etc. etc. Even built latest OpenWrt with ModemManager and same issues. Tried several different external antennas also. I honestly don't think there is anything left to try. I'm convinced it is a firmware issue of the quectel modem. I have probably 100 hours of troubleshooting this thing since problems started. Not worth trying to get support from quectel, they will point you to netgear or ZBT which doesn't make any sense, sigh. I think we are out of luck until they decide to look into the issue with the 502 as my RM500Q-AE works just fine with same equipment, along with 2 T99W175 5G modems. Also have a couple EM-7565's, EP06 that work fine also.

So many posts lately about the 502 and T-mobile saying connected and no internet OR icmp issues to NOT be a legit problem. What is confusing to me is some folks must not be having issues or everyone would be here searching for answers? BUT, if you find some type of solution please do share!
vahnwinkle

Post by vahnwinkle »

LateParrot wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:38 pm
vahnwinkle wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:16 pm I believe after everything I have done, I think its a conflict with the Quectel Modem and the T-mobile towers.
It's not explicitly the Quectel Modems, I had the same problem with the Sierra wireless em7565. My guess is something in the software that controls the modem. Need to do some more digging. Has anyone tried running in MBIM?
Is their a command to switch it into MBIM. I believe thats my default through rooter but havnt verified using AT commands to 100% check. If you have those commands to check I will run them and report back.
vahnwinkle

Post by vahnwinkle »

mtl26637 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:42 pm I've literally tried it all. I have many different setups and this problem seems to be related to specifically T-mobile and the RM502Q-AE combination.
Yes over the years sierra and other may have had some issues with connection and no internet but I think those were resolved and this new issue is with the 502 only. Current setup is with the WRT32X. This exact setup worked fine until spring/summer when they started playing with 5G n41 and n71 at the tower. Tried too many things to list them all but a few being all protocols (ECM, QMI, MBIM), all firmware flashes for the 502, all band locking with all modes (LTE, LTE:NR5G, NR5G), qmbncfg settings of 'autosel' on/off, deactivate, etc. etc. Even built latest OpenWrt with ModemManager and same issues. Tried several different external antennas also. I honestly don't think there is anything left to try. I'm convinced it is a firmware issue of the quectel modem. I have probably 100 hours of troubleshooting this thing since problems started. Not worth trying to get support from quectel, they will point you to netgear or ZBT which doesn't make any sense, sigh. I think we are out of luck until they decide to look into the issue with the 502 as my RM500Q-AE works just fine with same equipment, along with 2 T99W175 5G modems. Also have a couple EM-7565's, EP06 that work fine also.

So many posts lately about the 502 and T-mobile saying connected and no internet OR icmp issues to NOT be a legit problem. What is confusing to me is some folks must not be having issues or everyone would be here searching for answers? BUT, if you find some type of solution please do share!
Funny, I used to have an RM500AE and I still had intermittent disconnects from time to time. Thats why I suspected the ZBT router was the culprit. I changed my IPV to 4 last night and verified it using AT commands. I have not disconnected yet so I will keep an eye on the internet for a few days and I will report back with my conclusion. I though I had it in IPV4 mode using the rooter interface I switched it and applied settings but they didnt take I guess. Running AT cammands is better for changing settings in the modem but I am not that advanced to know what I am doing. I 100% have it in IPv4 now so I will monitor it for a couple more days and see what I have.
vahnwinkle

Post by vahnwinkle »

mtl26637 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:42 pm I've literally tried it all. I have many different setups and this problem seems to be related to specifically T-mobile and the RM502Q-AE combination.

Just to clarify the problem is not with only RM502 and tmobile. I have had RM500AE, EM12G, and now RM520N, all Quectel modems and all using tmobile service. Every one disconnects intermittently. I never had one just stay connected to internet. I am running 2 very high end antennas as well. I get 90% signals and very high quality LTE service. However, I really think their is an issue with the setup in general. Tmobile and Quectel do not mix well for me or maybe its my tower. I know each tower is different so maybe that's the problem. All I know is I have had this issue with multiple modems. Its def not just a RM502 problem. Maybe its more prominent with 502 but the primary reason I purchased the 520N is that Tmobile actually certified this modem for their service.
macuseri686

Post by macuseri686 »

Can anyone with a sierra em9191 and T-Mobile confirm Whether they have random disconnections in 2022? I might actually just buy one to give it a try. After like a week of having it work and not disconnecting after I got my external modem enclosure, the problem is back again :(
vahnwinkle

Post by vahnwinkle »

macuseri686 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:55 pm Can anyone with a sierra em9191 and T-Mobile confirm Whether they have random disconnections in 2022? I might actually just buy one to give it a try. After like a week of having it work and not disconnecting after I got my external modem enclosure, the problem is back again :(
I also though the same thing. I am getting random disconnects again running only IPv4 using an external modem enclosure tethered via USB to my ZBT 3526 router. I remember I used to have Calyx Institute Sprint sim card on my old Quectel EM12G before they switched to T-Mobile sims only. I never had disconnects on the old sprint sims. It is definitely something to do with t-mobiles network infrastructure. I currently have the Mifi M2000 tethered via USB to my ASUS AX11000 router for the home wifi and the MiFi never disconnects at all. I am not sure what modem the MiFi uses but it is the device that came with the Calyx plan so I wouldn't expect it to random disconnect. The biggest issue I have is that I cant connect my MiMo antennas nor can I band lock anymore. Very frustration.
vahnwinkle

Post by vahnwinkle »

macuseri686 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:55 pm Can anyone with a sierra em9191 and T-Mobile confirm Whether they have random disconnections in 2022? I might actually just buy one to give it a try. After like a week of having it work and not disconnecting after I got my external modem enclosure, the problem is back again :(
Ok I purchased a cheap Sierra Wireless Modem today with an external usb 3.0 adaptor. I am going to check this theory. Also, if you decide to try yourself, check out the link below.

https://github.com/danielewood/sierra-w ... novo--dell
vahnwinkle

Post by vahnwinkle »

Im still waiting for the products but I recently got a disconnect from internet Debug stated this, "/dev/ttyUSB2 at+cpin?
+CME ERROR: 10". Does anyone know what this means.
macuseri686

Post by macuseri686 »

Heres what i found for that:

CME ERROR 10 is returned by the modem when it does not detect a SIM card.

https://forums.quectel.com/t/bg96-sim-d ... -cpin/6106
vahnwinkle

Post by vahnwinkle »

macuseri686 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:05 pm Heres what i found for that:

Thanks, yea I found that too. Do you look into your debug report when you get disconnected? I am curious what your says? Also, what antennas are you using?
vahnwinkle

Post by vahnwinkle »

macuseri686 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:05 pm Heres what i found for that:

My debug also deosnt say sim card disconnected thats why I was wondering what /dev/ttyUSB2 at+cpin? meant
silverwing
Has thanked: 0

Post by silverwing »

I have an em9191 with t-mobile. I would randomly have issues with random disconnections. I updated the modem to the latest and now i just have my router reset every morning before i get up. From time to time ill just reset the modem and not the router.
vahnwinkle

Post by vahnwinkle »

silverwing wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:05 am

I have an em9191 with t-mobile. I would randomly have issues with random disconnections. I updated the modem to the latest and now i just have my router reset every morning before i get up. From time to time ill just reset the modem and not the router.
What antennas do you have installed for your modem?
mtl26637

Post by mtl26637 »

Thanks, yea I found that too. Do you look into your debug report when you get disconnected? I am curious what your says? Also, what antennas are you using?
Sorry I'm having different issues than just normal disconnects. When first read this thread I thought it was referencing the 502Q and Tmo issues with ICMP and "connected" but no internet which is a completely different issue specific to the 502 from what I can gather. I didn't realize the OP was using the 500 which is different modem.

IMO, random disconnects are very normal and should be somewhat expected with a wireless connection in general. 1 or 2 a day can be 'normal' from my experience, depends on signals and quality of signal. So many different interference issues can play a factor. ECM mode is great for this if the modem supports it as 'reconnect' is automated within the modem. In QMI or MBIM mode using a connection manager should restart the connection when it goes down but is normally based on ICMP pings which circles back to the ICMP issues I was referencing with the 502.

As far as antennas go right now I'm using pairs of high gain yagi's from rfwel. They are large but are great for outdoor setups esp. the tv white space antenna for Tmo lower band 71. I've tried many others but settled with these in the end. I do need to climb the tower one day and swap out the large ones as they added n41 to the tower and it is a higher band so no need for the lower band antennas now but that probably won't happen until spring at this point, lol. I'm not a fan of heights, heh.
macuseri686

Post by macuseri686 »

silverwing wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:05 am I have an em9191 with t-mobile. I would randomly have issues with random disconnections. I updated the modem to the latest and now i just have my router reset every morning before i get up. From time to time ill just reset the modem and not the router.
Thanks. im curious if you could run a quick test for me then on your em9191. So, in addition to the random disconnects with t-mobile (and still showing connected on the modem, with signal stats, just cant send or receive any data), i also experience the same disconnect symptoms predictably when i visit certain webpages, use a certain app, or send UDP traffic with a VPN. It is 100% repeatable for me. if i launch PIA VPN in UDP mode, or open the ebay app on my iphone and go to the purchases page, or go to a walmart.com store page, my whole internet connection will disconnect, and still say connected on the modem, with signal stats and all. only restarting the modem with an at+cfun=1,1 works.

are you able to test any of those scenarios out on your em9191, to confirm if this is a tmobile issue? or a quectel issue?
3200acm
Been thanked: 0

Post by 3200acm »

About those disconnects - it's just a theory but check what towers or cell IDs you're connected to when it works and see if that's different when it's not working.
vahnwinkle

Post by vahnwinkle »

3200acm wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:10 pm About those disconnects - it's just a theory but check what towers or cell IDs you're connected to when it works and see if that's different when it's not working.
How do I check that and I will try? Thanks
vahnwinkle

Post by vahnwinkle »

mtl26637 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:33 pm
Sorry I'm having different issues than just normal disconnects. When first read this thread I thought it was referencing the 502Q and Tmo issues with ICMP and "connected" but no internet which is a completely different issue specific to the 502 from what I can gather. I didn't realize the OP was using the 500 which is different modem.

IMO, random disconnects are very normal and should be somewhat expected with a wireless connection in general. 1 or 2 a day can be 'normal' from my experience, depends on signals and quality of signal. So many different interference issues can play a factor. ECM mode is great for this if the modem supports it as 'reconnect' is automated within the modem. In QMI or MBIM mode using a connection manager should restart the connection when it goes down but is normally based on ICMP pings which circles back to the ICMP issues I was referencing with the 502.

As far as antennas go right now I'm using pairs of high gain yagi's from rfwel. They are large but are great for outdoor setups esp. the tv white space antenna for T-mo lower band 71. I've tried many others but settled with these in the end. I do need to climb the tower one day and swap out the large ones as they added n41 to the tower and it is a higher band so no need for the lower band antennas now but that probably won't happen until spring at this point, lol. I'm not a fan of heights, heh.
Okay thanks for that information. I had Calyx Institute prior to being forced to switch to tmobile sim cards. I used the same tower next to me when I was on Sprint and now that I am on T-Mobile, I still use that same tower. When I was using the Sprint sim and same tower, I literally never disconnected. I had that setup running months with no issues. I humbly disagree that random disconnects are normal because I have seen connections last months until I decided to go in and update firmware or play with settings. Other then that, the connection on Sprint was solid. I know for a fact the issue is related to the T-Mobile sim card. I am just trying to figure out why and how I can manipulate the settings in my modem to get that same consistency I had with the Sprint sim. I have been playing around with antennas recently trying to see if that was the issue but this morning I got another disconnect internet but Modem was still connected using different antennas so thats not the problem. I really think T-Mobile is monitoring their network and are disconnecting these devices via sim card termination. Basically, if your connected too long they kick you off the network. Somehow they must see that I am not using the MiFi device for their network but instead another device. They are not getting this info from my IMEI because it is changed in the modem to the Mif IMEI. Didneywhorl stated that their is a conflict with IPv4 and IPv6 since T-Mobile is using IPv6 more now. When I use the Mifi with the sim card that came from Calyx the Mifi never disconnects but downside is throttled speeds during peak hours. Its worse when I dont have access to my MiMi antennas. Recently, I signed up for the T-Mobile 5G Home internet trial. I am going to test another theory about the differences between Calyx Institute T-Mobile Sims and Sims straight from Tmobile for home internet package. I want to determine if the Calyx Sims are provisioned differently then Tmobile home internet sims. I will use that sim in my setup to see if I get random disconnects and report back. I am also waiting on my Sierra Wireless modem to get here and I will test the theory of issues with Modems. In that theory, I want to see if Sierra will stay connected over Quectel. I will report all of this information back. I am tired of the issue and its time to fix it. In case your wondering, I live trade in the stock market daily and take positions ranging from 30k to 200k at a time. I CANNOT lose my internet when I am in a trade. So, that's why this is so important to me.
AlteredLogic

Post by AlteredLogic »

@vahnwinkle, as far as I know the T-Mobile Home Internet sims are locked to the device it comes with, didn't want you to waste time getting it and trying it then wondering why nothing is happening.
vahnwinkle

Post by vahnwinkle »

AlteredLogic wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:24 am @vahnwinkle, as far as I know the T-Mobile Home Internet sims are locked to the device it comes with, didn't want you to waste time getting it and trying it then wondering why nothing is happening.
Edit: No, you can change the identity of the home internet device using the supplied sim card. I removed the sim from the gateway 5g deice and inserted the sim into my ZBT 3526 and changed the identity # IMEI to the gateway IMEI# that comes from Tmobile. I am using the ZBT 3526 with a Quectel 520N modem.

1. I just tested the home internet 5g gateway from tmobile independently and it was no different then my Mifi or ZBT 3526. So, needless to say, no speed increase but no disconnects as expected from using their supplied device.

2. Removed the sim from the gateway 5g device, installed it into my ZBT set up, spoofed the IMEI and was getting the same speeds. Additionally, the disconnection issues persisted. I was not sure if the gateway had its own and could not check the APN. So, I kept it at fast.t-mobile.com . I assume this was correct because the device connected to internet.

So far T-mobile home internet sim is not provisioned differently then calyx. So, that's good. Two more things I am going to try is using Sierra Wireless modem and then trying to modify the mifi from calyx to use my antennas. I will post pictures of these antenna ports if anyone has any idea which type to use.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

I also wanted to include that if you wanted to modify the Tmobile Home gateway to use external antennas, you can! Here is a link to how: https://www.waveform.com/a/b/guides/hot ... y-arcadyan

The only reason I am not going down this route is that I already have 7 months left of calyx that I already paid for and I am not willing to lose that subscription time or money for the subscription since they don't refund.
silverwing

Post by silverwing »

macuseri686 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:28 pm
silverwing wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:05 am I have an em9191 with t-mobile. I would randomly have issues with random disconnections. I updated the modem to the latest and now i just have my router reset every morning before i get up. From time to time ill just reset the modem and not the router.
Thanks. im curious if you could run a quick test for me then on your em9191. So, in addition to the random disconnects with t-mobile (and still showing connected on the modem, with signal stats, just cant send or receive any data), i also experience the same disconnect symptoms predictably when i visit certain webpages, use a certain app, or send UDP traffic with a VPN. It is 100% repeatable for me. if i launch PIA VPN in UDP mode, or open the ebay app on my iphone and go to the purchases page, or go to a walmart.com store page, my whole internet connection will disconnect, and still say connected on the modem, with signal stats and all. only restarting the modem with an at+cfun=1,1 works.

are you able to test any of those scenarios out on your em9191, to confirm if this is a tmobile issue? or a quectel issue?
Sorry the long delay, I do get disconnected on a VPN when I start to stream more than 1 thing at a time. I have tried a few different VPN's but still the same results. I did update the em9191 to the most recent generic, but maybe ill update to the latest one from T-Mobile.

i can use the ebay app and walmart.com all fine. I haven't seen a disconnect from a website.

antennas are in the link below.
https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/anten ... connector/
macuseri686

Post by macuseri686 »

thanks. hmmm, so sounds like maybe this issue is not present with the em9191 then?
silverwing

Post by silverwing »

macuseri686 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:54 am thanks. hmmm, so sounds like maybe this issue is not present with the em9191 then?
If i use alot of data quickly, say 3 streams going at once, my internet will stop but would still say its connected.
macuseri686

Post by macuseri686 »

silverwing wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:22 am
macuseri686 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:54 am thanks. hmmm, so sounds like maybe this issue is not present with the em9191 then?
If i use alot of data quickly, say 3 streams going at once, my internet will stop but would still say its connected.
what about like speedtest.net which maxes out your connection bandwidth?
silverwing

Post by silverwing »

macuseri686 wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:46 am
silverwing wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:22 am
what about like speedtest.net which maxes out your connection bandwidth?
Not always, since speedtest only does it a few seconds before it turns off. But doesnt always happen, its probably t-mobile with safety measures for bandwidth usage, i am on the business plan as well.
LateParrot

Post by LateParrot »

silverwing wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:22 am If i use alot of data quickly, say 3 streams going at once, my internet will stop but would still say its connected.
This is the only thing I can say consistently causes the dropout and I have to do it during peak times. Torrenting multiple large files early in the morning or throughout the day is no problem. Trying to run multiple streams between 6-10pm will cause the dropout every other day it seems like. This may be a separate issue but tonight when I happened I noticed it crashed the modem entirely and I had to power cycle to get it to come back up.
AlteredLogic

Post by AlteredLogic »

vahnwinkle wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:55 pm
AlteredLogic wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:24 am @vahnwinkle, as far as I know the T-Mobile Home Internet sims are locked to the device it comes with, didn't want you to waste time getting it and trying it then wondering why nothing is happening.
Edit: No, you can change the identity of the home internet device using the supplied sim card. I removed the sim from the gateway 5g deice and inserted the sim into my ZBT 3526 and changed the identity # IMEI to the gateway IMEI# that comes from Tmobile. I am using the ZBT 3526 with a Quectel 520N modem.

1. I just tested the home internet 5g gateway from tmobile independently and it was no different then my Mifi or ZBT 3526. So, needless to say, no speed increase but no disconnects as expected from using their supplied device.

2. Removed the sim from the gateway 5g device, installed it into my ZBT set up, spoofed the IMEI and was getting the same speeds. Additionally, the disconnection issues persisted. I was not sure if the gateway had its own and could not check the APN. So, I kept it at fast.t-mobile.com . I assume this was correct because the device connected to internet.

So far T-mobile home internet sim is not provisioned differently then calyx. So, that's good. Two more things I am going to try is using Sierra Wireless modem and then trying to modify the mifi from calyx to use my antennas. I will post pictures of these antenna ports if anyone has any idea which type to use.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

I also wanted to include that if you wanted to modify the Tmobile Home gateway to use external antennas, you can! Here is a link to how: https://www.wavefirm.com/a/b/guides/hot ... y-arcadyan

The only reason I am not going down this route is that I already have 7 months left of calyx that I already paid for and I am not willing to lose that subscription time or money for the subscription since they don't refund.
Oh okay, I didn't know that thank you for letting me know.

I'm interested in what the issue is with your setup and I hope you can figure it out soon.
mrgodai
Been thanked: 0

Post by mrgodai »

I'm also using RM502Q-AE with TMO and getting the no data but connected issue. Yesterday was the worst, I would lose data after just 5-10 min after reboot from 7PM to 11PM.

I feel like whatever new DE prioritization algorithm Tmobile is using is screwing up RM502Q-AE. Because it would be fine for days until I get the 50GB limit text, then no data but connected issue happens during peak hours.

Another thing to note is that the TMO towers near me recently changed from 5G-NSA to SA. And I'm throttled to a constant 15Mbps down on 5G-SA ipv6 but it's ok on LTE and 5G-SA ipv4.
LateParrot

Post by LateParrot »

I get this error whenever the disconnect happens

Code: Select all

AT+QENG="servingcell"
+QENG: "servingcell","NOCONN","NR5G-SA","FDD", 310,260,187E65017,869,770800,389090,25,1,-96,-11,19,0,-
OK
I could probably work out a script that would automatically reset the modem when this happens but I'd prefer an actual solution.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

That's not an error. Noconn oddly doesn't really mean you're not connected. No clue why or what it means exactly but Ive seen it report that while actively downloading files. Que tels have been like that for years. Check the system logs for errors and warnings
vahnwinkle

Post by vahnwinkle »

mrgodai wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:46 am I'm also using RM502Q-AE with TMO and getting the no data but connected issue. Yesterday was the worst, I would lose data after just 5-10 min after reboot from 7PM to 11PM.

I feel like whatever new DE prioritization algorithm Tmobile is using is screwing up RM502Q-AE. Because it would be fine for days until I get the 50GB limit text, then no data but connected issue happens during peak hours.

Another thing to note is that the TMO towers near me recently changed from 5G-NSA to SA. And I'm throttled to a constant 15Mbps down on 5G-SA ipv6 but it's ok on LTE and 5G-SA ipv4.
I havn't been around in a while since the holidays. However, I am still troubleshooting issues. I have a friend with tmobile in California and I am in Georgia. He said he hasnt had a disconnect for months on his. I am assuming it is my tower but I am going to try a Sierra Wireless setup soon. I have to send it out to a specialist because I cant seem to get my IMEI changed using the generator. One downside to using the Sierra Wireless modem is the complexity compared to the Quectel modems. Either way, I am still trying to solve the disconnects. Also, I stumbled on another provider other then Calyx Institute but they are more expensive. Netbuddy.co in case anyone had them, I would be curious to know if they have disconnects using tmobile service with their 5g routers. Apparently their $500 5g router for tmobie has the ability to use external antennas.
vahnwinkle

Post by vahnwinkle »

Reporting back! I finally got the Sierra Wireless modem 7455 set up with IMEI changed. Connected everything and internet went out just like the Quectel. Over night when I was asleep, the modem lost internet but in rooter it was showing that it was still connected but just didnt have internet. I think at this point the issue is from my T-Mobile tower. It may have old outdated systems and is not responding well to my set up. The reason I am suggesting that its a cell tower problem is because I have a friend with a very similar set up located in Texas. He reported to me that he has had his system up and running for weeks with no problems. My final conclusion is their is a problem with some T-Mobile towers systems whether outdated or updated for security, I couldn't be sure. Either way, based on this issue and the fact that I havnt seen many posts about it in this forum, I assume their may not be that many towers with my problem. My tower is located next to an interstate and typically disconnects at night when I am asleep. I guess for now I will continue to reset manually twice a day.
Rich Hathaway

Post by Rich Hathaway »

Why don't you demsg it so you can see what is going on with it?
vahnwinkle

Post by vahnwinkle »

Rich Hathaway wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:59 am Why don't you demsg it so you can see what is going on with it?
I dont know what you mean. Can you explain?
vahnwinkle

Post by vahnwinkle »

Heads up for those individuals with corrupt T-Mobile towers. I recently switched from Calyx Institute to a Visible plan and purchased 1 month Visible service which is Verizon towers for testing purposes. I installed my NordVPN to my rooter router. Check out my posting on how to do this in the VPN section here on Wireless joint. Set up the router with TTL 64 custom settings and I am getting consistent internet services with very good speeds. Not throttles whatsoever and no hard limits. This is because I have my router configured TTL 64 and running a VPN but its a great way to fix the issue if you are fortunate enough to have a verizon tower near you. I will be switching to Visible after my Calyx subscription runs out in Aug-2023. I will just reset internet until then but I am happy to find a solution and even happier I found the problem was T-Mobile towers and not my setup. Stick with Quectel Modems by the way. Sierra modems are horrible since you cant modify the IMEI easily.

By the way: Visible is only $30 a month which is actually cheaper then Calyx.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LateParrot

Post by LateParrot »

I think I've figured out my issue. I'd previously locked to bands n25 & n41. I noticed I'd occasionally get 200+Mbps but it was extremely unstable. When it happened the modem was connecting to n41 with 2 -> -2 SNR whereas on n25 my SNR is 14+ as long as I'm not saturating the connection. So I changed to only n25 and it's been rock solid 70+ down 10 up ever since. I don't know for certain but I think the n41 antenna on the tower is pointing the opposite direction of me. So the problem in my case looks to be with the handoff between bands doesn't always go smooth. Sucks to miss out on 100mhz of n41 but the towers will get upgraded way sooner than fiber gets buried.
So for anyone else run speed tests and watch your band/SNR see what happens.
LateParrot

Post by LateParrot »

A little update, after just over a month I'm noticing infrequent disconnects again. Usually happening at peak times or 3am 2-3 times a week. Something I've learned that isn't completely obvious is that your SINR needs to be POSITIVE for a stable connection. Seeing a negative dB measurement is fairly common and this causes it to be glossed over. I've made this revelation a couple times myself and no one in this thread noticed that the OP's screenshot shows his signal is very noisy and was likely the cause of his issue.

Without changing anything in my setup, sometime in the past 2 weeks signal strength dropped 20%, SINR has done a complete 180 from 14-20 to -16 - -20 and when it stays at those very low values the modem will not hold a stable connection and needs to be power cycled. I should be getting much better signal as I'm only .5Mi from the tower. TMobile has confirmed that there is some issue with my location that "engineers are working on" but there is no ETA. I have a guess which is TMobile Home has just become available, after I challenged their FCC coverage filing claim, and in their haste something was misconfigured.
Even so the disconnects are not as bad as they were before but I'm getting a ton of bufferbloat. Oddly enough speed in both directions has gone up with all the interference.
BrentV

Post by BrentV »

I know this is an older thread but I'm having similar issues with 520n-gl +wg1608 wifi disabled, Ethernet to Asus RT-AX88U Merlin ATT post paid. I'm not convinced it's an issue exclusive to T-Mobile.

If I do a persistent ping test, (I think it was on ping-test.net) network test with GeForce NOW, or connect a VPN with anything other than TCP along with a few misc other gaming services it will instantly drop the Internet until reboot. Though it still appears connected. If I run VPN over TCP everything runs perfect for weeks, except still can't do Nvidia Now network test, it still drops. My multiple we826 +mc7455 setups do not have this issue. I've considered building a 5g sled and seeing if ditching the 1608 changed anything.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

BrentV wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:36 pm I know this is an older thread but I'm having similar issues with 520n-gl +wg1608 wifi disabled, Ethernet to Asus RT-AX88U Merlin ATT post paid. I'm not convinced it's an issue exclusive to T-Mobile.

If I do a persistent ping test, (I think it was on ping-test.net) network test with GeForce NOW, or connect a VPN with anything other than TCP along with a few misc other gaming services it will instantly drop the Internet until reboot. Though it still appears connected. If I run VPN over TCP everything runs perfect for weeks, except still can't do Nvidia Now network test, it still drops. My multiple we826 +mc7455 setups do not have this issue. I've considered building a 5g sled and seeing if ditching the 1608 changed anything.
Are you using SA 5G or LTE+NSA 5G? This may just be the poorly implemented ipv6 that Tmobile forces on SA 5G. It's "faster" but it breaks things constantly and usually is unstable for many people. (not everyone, just many)
BrentV

Post by BrentV »

Didneywhorl wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:31 am
Are you using SA 5G or LTE+NSA 5G? This may just be the poorly implemented ipv6 that Tmobile forces on SA 5G. It's "faster" but it breaks things constantly and usually is unstable for many people. (not everyone, just many)
I'm using LTE+5g NSA Bands. It's actually AT&T but I posted here because the issue seemed the same, thinking it may be something more to do with the 5g modems or the 1608 rather than the networks.
Screenshot 2024-02-22 121012.png
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

All carriers seem to be doing an all out war on VPN use on cell data. It's odd as heck.

Have you tested it ok outside of the VPN use, or tried a simpler proxy, or just used TCP only on the VPN?

Gaming services and VPNs use UDP traffic heavily, and that is seemingly what is getting messed with.
BrentV

Post by BrentV »

Didneywhorl wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:17 pm All carriers seem to be doing an all out war on VPN use on cell data. It's odd as heck.

Have you tested it ok outside of the VPN use, or tried a simpler proxy, or just used TCP only on the VPN?

Gaming services and VPNs use UDP traffic heavily, and that is seemingly what is getting messed with.
If I don't use the VPN random services will cause the internet to just stop working or certain websites aren't reachable. Previously on the MC7455, if I didn't run a VPN, downloads were extremely slow. I run a Nord TCP VPN connection for the whole house on the ASUS router, and then exclude a couple of my own computers and everything runs fine even without a VPN on the select few. On the select few sometimes I run the Nord windows app, but I have to make sure its set to TCP, UDP will instantly kill the connection. Also the Google one VPN works well also, they use a proprietary protocol based on WireGuard. But if I use Wireguard from Proton or Nord it also kicks me off. I haven't tried a proxy. The one thing that kicks me every time is the network scan for Nvidia Now, and that happens even with the VPN on. But If i tether my phone over hotspot it works fine. The Mc7455's I have, while they have their own issues, never have outright disconnects from them, even when using VPN over UDP. Also, while I do get booted using UDP VPN on the router, I can use it on my pixel 6 pro just fine.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Nvidia Now is a cloud gaming service right?
BrentV

Post by BrentV »

Didneywhorl wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:13 pm Nvidia Now is a cloud gaming service right?
Yeah. And they run a network diagnostics before connecting.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Is there a debug type logged or live output of what it's running and what fails?
Tech_Junky

Post by Tech_Junky »

Didneywhorl wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:17 pm All carriers seem to be doing an all out war on VPN use on cell data. It's odd as heck.

I run Nord w/ WG 24/7 and it's fine. The only exception is witching from a NIC to USB changes the metric and doesn't allow "routing" to be enabled to cover all LAN traffic but, I could probably insert a routing statement to force traffic through the VPN. The other solution I haven't tried yet but have the HW to use the modem in a PCIE slot instead.
BrentV wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:13 pm I'm using LTE+5g NSA Bands. It's actually AT&T but I posted here because the issue seemed the same, thinking it may be something more to do with the 5g modems or the 1608 rather than the networks. Screenshot 2024-02-22 121012.png
I don't think it's the modem that's the issue it's what it's connected to. There's little difference between SA/NSA but, typically you'll see higher speeds with NSA because it bundles LTE+5G and SA is still in a bit of a development phase according to some.

For NSA I can hit ~200/40 most of the time where SA typically sees ~70/40
BrentV wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:20 pm
If I don't use the VPN random services will cause the internet to just stop working or certain websites aren't reachable. Previously on the MC7455, if I didn't run a VPN, downloads were extremely slow. I run a Nord TCP VPN connection for the whole house on the ASUS router, and then exclude a couple of my own computers and everything runs fine even without a VPN on the select few. On the select few sometimes I run the Nord windows app, but I have to make sure its set to TCP, UDP will instantly kill the connection. Also the Google one VPN works well also, they use a proprietary protocol based on WireGuard. But if I use Wireguard from Proton or Nord it also kicks me off. I haven't tried a proxy. The one thing that kicks me every time is the network scan for Nvidia Now, and that happens even with the VPN on. But If i tether my phone over hotspot it works fine. The Mc7455's I have, while they have their own issues, never have outright disconnects from them, even when using VPN over UDP. Also, while I do get booted using UDP VPN on the router, I can use it on my pixel 6 pro just fine.
OVPN TCP/UDP is slow and cumbersome compared to WG based options. When I had a gig connection OVPN maxed at 600mbps where WG hit line speeds beyond 1gig. There's tons of branded names for WG but it's all the same protocols being used, the providers just automate the connection profiles.

The clue here is when you tether you don't have the issue vs connecting through the MC box. Now, for me as you see the speeds listed above if I use my phone to run a speed test it actually blows it away @ 600/100 even though it's in the same location / SIM / etc. So, it might be the antennas I went with, maybe using USB sled instead of putting it inside the PC, or something else. There's a lot of variables to deal with and nail down when it comes to these connections.

Return to “Quectel Modems”