Quectel RM500Q-AE Firmware Update Support

Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
vahnwinkle

Quectel RM500Q-AE Firmware Update Support

Post by vahnwinkle »

I have a WG 1608 router with Rooter installed. My question is this:

I am trying to update my Quectel RM500Q-AE 5g Modem with P/N - AA – RM500QAEAA-M20-SGASA because I am getting random drops on internet service and I feel like a firmware would potentially benefit the situation regardless whether it fixes the problem. I have the firmware software Qflash from Quectel installed on my Windows 10 pc and I am ready to proceed with update. However, can I update the modem using the WG 1608 router as the interface or do I need a separate motherboard specifically for connecting my modem and updating the firmware. I am looking for my COM ports but I do not see them. My WG 1608 has a USB port and I was assuming this is an alternate method to update modem firmware without having to buy another board. Please help my fellow LTE experts. Thanks :)
vahnwinkle

Re: Quectel RM500Q-AE Firmware Update Support

Post by vahnwinkle »

I also wanted to add the board I I think I need to upgrade the modem firmware is a EVB board used for developmental purposes but I figured I could use my WG 1608 since it has its own USB port. I just cant get the COM to recognize on my computer in device manager. I had to add it manually.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vahnwinkle

Post by vahnwinkle »

Qflash pulled up showing no COM. My Huawei Terminal is used to identify the current modems COM port but doesn't recognize anything. Do I need to activate the USB port on the WG 1608 to communicate with modem? If so, how? Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Install the latest Quectel Windows drivers, then reboot the pc.

Then plug the modem itself into a simple usb to m.2 modem adapter and plug that into the pc, then wait for it to load in fully. You'll see it in Device manager.

Then run the apps
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

You can also run Qfirehose in the router via command line if you prefer. Just upload the main firmware file to the /tmp directory and run Qfirehose.
There are instructions online for its use. I don't have any on hand.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

@vahnwinkle

I gotchu.

Get winSCP and putty if you don't have both apps for Windows : https://www.ofmodemsandmen.com/winscp.html
(Im not much for Mac so if you use mac, find equivalents and adapt the instructions for your OS.

Get the appropriate modem firmware update and unzip it somewhere you will remember.

Ruin WinSCP and connect it to your router with its main IP address (like 192.168.1.1) and use your admin login password. You should be able to navigate the routers file system now.

Navigate the router file system to /tmp/

At the top of the window there is an icon to create a new folder, also F7 on Windows. Do this and name it something simple like "updatefw".

On your Windows system side navigate to your modem firmware on your PC where you unzipped it.

Dive into this folder, named something like "RM500QAEAAR13A01M4G_01.001.01.001" or similar.

Copy THE ENTIRE contents over to your new "updatefw" directory on the router by simply highlighting all the items, folder(s) included, and then dragging it over with your mouse. It will take a little while. You must have space for this, otherwise you will need to learn to use a USB drive for this and load it from there (Notes on this at the end).

Once these files and folders are all uploaded to your new /tmp/updatefw/ directory you can now login to the router using SSH, with Putty. Also available from the link above if you need it.

Login as root

NOTE: The openWRT command line is CaSe SeNsItIvE

run the command QFirehose -f /tmp/updatefw

Sit back and watch it do its work. Done.

If you do need to use a USB drive.

Plug the USB drive of choice into your router. SSH in and run:
ls /mnt

and see if sba1 is listed. If so you have the drive auto mounted. Great!

If not, follow this guide: https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/sto ... quickstart

Once the drive does mount...

You should be able to now navigate to the /mnt/sda1 folder in winSCP and follow the same guide as above and replace "/tmp/updatefw" with "/mnt/sda1/updatefw"

example: QFirehose -f /mnt/sda1/updatefw

Done. Enjoy updating your Quectel modem firmware without having to remove it ever again.

Note: You do not have to disconnect your cellular connection or remove your SIM to do this, it will reconnect just fine after it comes back.... as long as you don't have any issues.

PLEASE DO NOT POWER THE SYSTEM DOWN DURING THE FIRMWARE UPDATE!!!!

Has to be said. :)
vahnwinkle

Post by vahnwinkle »

@Didneywhorl

Thanks so much for that detailed instructions. I will get started on it tomorrow and let you know how the project goes. Do you have access to the Quectel RM500Q-AE firmware. Trying to get anything from Quectel including the latest firmware is like pulling teeth. Additionally, I am not sure why they require anyone to request access to their firmware. Doesnt make sense but I could def use the latest firmware. I was able to find some older firmware but I am not sure if downgrading will help or hurt the modem.
vahnwinkle

Post by vahnwinkle »

Didneywhorl wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:26 pm @vahnwinkle

I gotchu.

Get winSCP and putty if you don't have both apps for Windows : https://www.ofmodemsandmen.com/winscp.html
(Im not much for Mac so if you use mac, find equivalents and adapt the instructions for your OS.

Get the appropriate modem firmware update and unzip it somewhere you will remember.

Ruin WinSCP and connect it to your router with its main IP address (like 192.168.1.1) and use your admin login password. You should be able to navigate the routers file system now.

At the top of the window there is an icon to create a new folder, also F7 on Windows. Do this and name it something simple like "updatefw".

On your Windows system side navigate to your modem firmware on your PC where you unzipped it.

Dive into this folder, named something like "RM500QAEAAR13A01M4G_01.001.01.001" or similar.

Copy THE ENTIRE contents over to your new "updatefw" directory on the router by simply highlighting all the items, folder(s) included, and then dragging it over with your mouse. It will take a little while. You must have space for this, otherwise you will need to learn to use a USB drive for this and load it from there (Notes on this at the end).

Once these files and folders are all uploaded to your new /tmp/updatefw/ directory you can now login to the router using SSH, with Putty. Also available from the link above if you need it.

Login as root

ls /mnt

If not, follow this guide: https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/sto ... quickstart

You should be able to now navigate to the /mnt/sda1 folder in winSCP and follow the same guide as above and replace "/tmp/updatefw" with "/mnt/sda1/updatefw"

Done. Enjoy updating your Quectel modem firmware without having to remove it ever again.

Note: You do not have to disconnect your cellular connection or remove your SIM to do this, it will reconnect just fine after it comes back.... as long as you don't have any issues.

I got the latest firmware from Quectel. I will report back to you with my results
vahnwinkle

Post by vahnwinkle »

Quectel Modem update using router instead of EVB.

@Didneywhorl

I followed all of your instruction and successfully updated my modem firmware. For those of you looking to update your modem firmware for troubleshooting or fixing issues related to your modem or internet problems, I highly recommend following these instructions. To help the community and pay thanks to Didney, I went ahead and compiled all of the instructions in a word document so that people can have all info on one sheet. You don't need a EVB board like I initially thought now I am $85 bucks down the tubes on that one. Either way, I hope this post helps others in need of updating their Quectel modem firmware. Thanks again Didneywhorl. Your the best!
vahnwinkle

Post by vahnwinkle »

Here are instructions compiled
JoshKelly

Post by JoshKelly »

I gotchu.

Login as root

ls /mnt

This is AWESOME, thank you so much!!
jericsmith

Post by jericsmith »

Just wanted to send a hearty THANK YOU to @JoshKelly, @Didneywhorl, @vahnwinkle and anyone else who contributed to this thread. I've spent the last week pulling hair out trying to get a few EC25-AF's firmware updated before ATT kicks the old ones off its network. Lots of fun with Quectel support, two different M2 to USB adapters that couldn't handle power requirements (I foolishly just now found the one on sale at wirelesshaven that would have worked it appears), and every kludge I could think of all failure. I was about to give up and bin the modems and then I found this post. This and a dusty old ZBT826 as modem host just saved me. Y'all rock!

THANK YOU!
Dlkelley713
Has thanked: 0

Post by Dlkelley713 »

Another big THANK YOU to Didneywhorl and others in this post! I'm pretty much a newbie as far as this lte router /modem stuff goes, but I easily updated my EM160R firmware with these instructions. I'm using the WG1608 router combo with ATT tablet plan, and the darned thing likes to disconnect once per day or so and seldom successfully reconnects without a hard-boot. I'm trying various settings in the rooter/wifix firmware, but the jury is still out. I'm hoping the latest quectel firmware will help, but we'll see! Thanks again for this great resource! Dan
roddel007

Post by roddel007 »

I gotchu.

Login as root

ls /mnt

this is great. openwrt has qfirehose. i installed qfirehose in openwrt and when used it should be in small case

Return to “Quectel Modems”