T-MOBILE MNVO TTL MANGLING WITH LUCI

Topics addressing TTL settings for Throttling, Tethering and Hotspot Usage
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
jaycee77
Been thanked: 0

T-MOBILE MNVO TTL MANGLING WITH LUCI

Post by jaycee77 »

Hi everyone! I am new to this website. I read all posts related to my problem and I still didn't find a solution. T-mobile throttles video streaming to 480p on their essentials plan, magenta plan and on their MVNO plans such as Simple mobile, Mint mobile, and many more. I current DON'T have hotspot feature on my Metro pcs plan. My current setup is an android phone usb tethering to an Openwrt router with Luci. I have been successful with VPN but I also wanted to add a TTL value just to be on the safe side. I pinged my router and I got a TTL value of 64 without any modifications. I found an old post on this forum. I copied and pasted TTL mangling codes to Firewall custom rules. I set it to 66. When I pinged my router from my computer I still got a TTL value of 64 which means it didn't work since there should be a decrement of one(65). I am wondering if anyone had the same problem.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gscheb

Re: T-MOBILE MNVO TTL MANGLING WITH LUCI

Post by gscheb »

Try this below

#start TTL rules
iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -o usb0 -j TTL --ttl-set 65
ip6tables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -o usb0 -j HL --hl-set 65
# End-IP4-TTL-Fix
jaycee77

Post by jaycee77 »

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately that didnt work. I tried it with and without the space between the hashtag and start. By the way I am only using IPv4 which is best for Tmobile based on my experience and other experiences on this forum. I noticed you sent settings for IPv4 and IPv6 since TTL is for IPv4 and HL is for IPv6. Can you recommend something for IPv4 only?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

gscheb wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:57 am Try this below

#start TTL rules
iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -o usb0 -j TTL --ttl-set 65
ip6tables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -o usb0 -j HL --hl-set 65
# End-IP4-TTL-Fix
Make sure the -o usb0 part is correct. Could be called something else
jaycee77

Post by jaycee77 »

yes, -o usb0 part is correct. I am using the usb function to tether, Not Wan or Lan
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

OK,
Heard stories on here before where people had one named differently.

So you are able to get unlimited hot spot thru a VPN use only?
Without using TTL settings?
jaycee77

Post by jaycee77 »

Yes I am able to get unthrottled speeds when streaming with VPN. The problem is making it appear that I am using the same device (cell phone) to stream. Once I tether to router and use internet from router the TTL value goes down by one. The TTL value for cell phone is 64. If I am not able to change TTL value on router, the router will show TTL value of 63 which would the cell phone company can detect
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Well thought read that you don't have any hotspot data with your plan? So if you are able to stream via phone tether you must be doing something to make that happen that they don't detect?
jaycee77

Post by jaycee77 »

Correct, I don't have hotspot data on my plan. I see what you mean. Even though I don't have a hotspot plan I am still able to tether via USB. Its nearly impossible tethering via Wifi without a hotspot plan. I tried and got a message saying "Your plan doesn't include wifi. Please contact us". I used to use PDAnet to tether via USB cause it allows you to hide traffic. That also worked without me having hotspot plan but it was a bit slow, unstable connection and I had to connect to my computer directly. I could of then redistribute the internet from my computer to a router or use my laptop's hotspot but I wanted a simpler set up. Even if I did have a hotspot plan, they only give you a certain amount of high speed data (5 - 30gbs)until they slow you down to 3g speeds. I prefer to be on the safe side with TTL modification but since there's no working solution yet I will leave it as is and see what happens.
ruraltx
Has thanked: 0

Post by ruraltx »

If your using PDAnet, or any other proxy, packet TTL is set to the correct value when recreated on the phone. You'd need root to disable the tether provisioning, then APN and TTL modification would be something to consider.
BillA

Post by BillA »

jaycee77 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:58 pm Hi everyone! I am new to this website. I read all posts related to my problem and I still didn't find a solution. T-mobile throttles video streaming to 480p on their essentials plan, magenta plan and on their MVNO plans such as Simple mobile, Mint mobile, and many more. I current DON'T have hotspot feature on my Metro pcs plan. My current setup is an android phone usb tethering to an Openwrt router with Luci. I have been successful with VPN but I also wanted to add a TTL value just to be on the safe side. I pinged my router and I got a TTL value of 64 without any modifications. I found an old post on this forum. I copied and pasted TTL mangling codes to Firewall custom rules. I set it to 66. When I pinged my router from my computer I still got a TTL value of 64 which means it didn't work since there should be a decrement of one(65). I am wondering if anyone had the same problem.

A late reply since I've been out for a while. heh
Pinging the wrong address will return an incorrect TTL value.
After some testing, I found various results pinging local addresses.
Notice how some return a different value regardless of the router's TTL settings.

Code: Select all

ping 192.168.1.1    TTL = always 64 regardless of the TTL set in the router's firewall rules
ping 192.168.1.<IP> TTL = Windows own TTL set by "netsh int ipv4 set <router_Eth/WiFi> defaultcurhoplimit=<TTL>"
ping 127.0.0.1      TTL = Windows own TTL set by "netsh int ipv4 set global defaultcurhoplimit=<TTL>"
ping <ISP_IP>       TTL = N/A / no response
ping <ISP_gateway>  TTL = router's TTL minus 1 / If router's TTL=65, then it shows 64

<IP>                In the router's menu Status > Overview > Active DHCP Leases > IPv4-Address: 192.168.1.<Windows_IP>
<ISP_gateway>       In the router's menu Status > Overview > Network > Gateway: <ISP_gateway_IP>
<ISP_IP>            In the router's menu Status > Overview > External Internet IP Address > IP Address: <ISP_IP>
<ISP_gateway> is the only local ping address which returns the router's correct TTL below.

Code: Select all

ping <ISP_gateway>  TTL = router's TTL minus 1 / If router's TTL=65, then it shows 64
Also, pinging some DNS server's IP like 1.1.1.1 seems to return the router's correct TTL minus 1, but I prefer to use the <ISP_gateway>.
Hope that helps.

Return to “TTL Settings - Throttling, Tethering and Hotspot Usage”