Android Router(tethering) ROM

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
Esoteric

Android Router(tethering) ROM

Post by Esoteric »

I'm wondering if anyone has heard of a ROM for Android that is purpose built for tethering. I have been using tethering as my main internet for years and the phone software has always been a weak link. Even with unlocked bootloader and root.

For an example, right now I discovered how to use the DHCP server from the phone it's self from this post but my devices refreshes to a different subnet and doesn't take into account existing leases when toggling on and off tethering. Which i have the phone automated to do to work around various other bugs in software or general inconsistencies.

Overall, not looking for a solution to my problem per se, more trying to see if this is something anyone else has ever even wanted.
Didneywhorl

Re: Android Router(tethering) ROM

Post by Didneywhorl »

Ill have to follow this. I've not seen a solution, but maybe a privacy ROM may have a solution? Like CalyxOS or Lineage, etc?
parkercs
Has thanked: 0

Post by parkercs »

I've gotten system-wide TTL mangle rules to work on stock rooted OxygenOS 12, oddly enough, but not on any other custom ROMs or kernels. However, there are some custom ROMs, Havoc and/or Evolution X (can't remember if it's both or just one of them), which allow tethering through a VPN on the device, so you can mask hotspot-use that way. (example below). I personally have used that with Cloudflare Zero Trust and it works flawlessly.

EDIT: Can confirm LineageOS, Evolution X, and Pixel Experience has this feature too.
ruraltx
Has thanked: 0

Post by ruraltx »

I slapped together a test app that's meant to allow rooted users to control their ipv4 address/subnet while tethering/hotspotting. If it works or not for your device, I'd appreciate any feedback.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WzMx9n ... sp=sharing

Source is here, but a bugfix behind.
https://github.com/worstperson/TetherTP ... e/notproxy

Return to “General and Unclassified”