Heat and latency/throughput PSA

Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
token

Heat and latency/throughput PSA

Post by token »

This is applicable to most of the Quectel line, including the RM502Q, RM500Q, EM160, EM12-G.

When connecting to further towers, more bands, higher bands and such, it is absolutely imperative to find a solution for cooling.

I recently did an outdoor PoE build and was connecting to a bunch of new towers, but they were all unusable due to sky high latency. Even when I found a location where the latency was okay, as soon as I'd start a speed test, latency would shoot up and not come back down.

My observations was that the modem would immediately go into the 70c temperature range, whereas anything over 60c is considered "extended operating range". This causes the modem to try desperately to maintain the connection but throttles itself to try to cool back down.

On a cool night, I was able to connect to a distant band 66/2/n71 tower, and my results were good for a few minutes, until I ran a speed test and the temperature shot up.

Connecting back to my local tower would still be high latency until the temperature dropped back under 60c.

My solution? I bought copper slugs and wedged them between the modem and the WG1608 (the WG1608 has copper pads for this, the modem has copper pads for this, yet there's a good 20+mm space between them that you need to bridge), then got a stick-on heat sink for the other side. It's sandwiched between two different methods of heat dissipation, and the modem stays about 30c under heavy load.

The result is that the modem no longer throttles itself. The distant b66/n71/B2 tower is able to provide 50mbps+ down/1mbps up at times, whereas when it was throttling, never went above 10mbps down and usually failed to even do the upload test.

So if you're doing a build and your tower isn't literally visible from where you're installing it, it's probably a good idea to figure out a way to wick some of that heat away from the modem. Pay attention to temperatures, if you see it creeping into even the 50s under load, you're likely getting higher latency than you otherwise would be. It's worth the extra effort to get that chip running cooler, and could make a huge difference if you're trying to hit a further tower or aggregate a bunch of bands.
keldar212
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Heat and latency/throughput PSA

Post by keldar212 »

Do you have any pics of how you modified this? do you have a link where to buy the copper slugs or the heat sink you put on the other side. I found mine was running quite hot today, not sure if there was some problem since I wasnt really doing much on the net.
goixiz
Has thanked: 0

Post by goixiz »

macuseri686

Post by macuseri686 »

keldar212 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:30 am Do you have any pics of how you modified this? do you have a link where to buy the copper slugs or the heat sink you put on the other side. I found mine was running quite hot today, not sure if there was some problem since I wasnt really doing much on the net.
heatsink can be purchased here: https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/acces ... clearance/

Here is how i modified the external modem case to accept a fan: viewtopic.php?p=26119#p26119

Return to “Quectel Modems”