Sierra EM7690 - MOFI5500 Help

Topics related to MoFi branded routers
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
cshock
Has thanked: 0

Sierra EM7690 - MOFI5500 Help

Post by cshock »

[Mod Edit: Split off from another topic and placed here as it's own topic. Easier for people to find this information.]
Didneywhorl wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:34 am I missed this completely but, if you are using the modem directly inside the WG1608 router then the modem wont put itself into USB mode. It's stock mode is PCI, and all of these routers like the WG1608 only recognize USB modems. You'll have to use an adapter that can apply 3.3V to Pin 20 and 1.8V to pin 22 of the modem cards pin interface (I might have that backwards gotta look it up). The wireless haven has such an adapter: https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/mini- ... new-style/

...But you'll have to use the modem in that enclosure and plug it into the WG1608s USB port.

We nerds are looking for some options that will work just using the mini-pcie slot, or some odd m.2 to m.2 type that will work in the M.2 slot.
Hey, I recently bought that exact enclosure to send AT commands to a EM7960. I put the modem in the enclosure and plugged it into my windows 11 laptop's powered USB slot. A red light comes on the board that occasionally flashed green once.

The EM7690 shows up under other devices but I can't seem to find the IP address or com port in order to use putty with jt. I don't think it's even recognizing any drivers.

No idea if I'm doing any of this right, including posting this here. I'm totally new to all this.

I have a windows 10 desktop that's down for the desk that was supposed to arrive today but I can set it up, or install linux wherever if need be.

I've already posted in one of the FB groups, I'm waiting to get into the other.
Didneywhorl

Re: EM9191 and WG1608

Post by Didneywhorl »

If it shows up at all, the adapter is working. It can only be communicated with via Putty using a Serial COM port, not via IP address. You can find the correct COM port via the device manager. click on Modems where the 7690 should be and right click on it. Then click properties. then click on the Advanced tab, then on the Advanced Port Settings. The COM port will be on the lower corner.

Set Putty to serial connection and change teh default COM1 to what your PC loaded the 7690 to.

This is all I do.

Gotta make sure you have all the 5G Sierra Windows Drivers. I use Win10

The red LED means that is has power to the modem. The Green LED means the modem is trying to transmit data. It will not stay green when connected for all modems. Different modems act differently for the LEDs.
cshock

Post by cshock »

Hey. Sorry for the late reply; busy Friday/Saturday. Thanks for the help so far already!

Got my windows 10 desktop set back up. I have successfully installed the drivers and the modem is displaying properly (COM8).

In Putty I change SSH to serial and enter COM8. I set local echo and line editing to "force on". Everything else is default. When I click "Open" a black command window opens with a solid green cursor in the top left. No errors were displayed that I could see.

I stopped here because I want to make sure I am going about this the right way before proceeding further and entering commands. Am I good to go?
cshock

Post by cshock »

I quit being a wuss and went for it. Success on sending commands! Thank you!!!
cshock

Post by cshock »

Didneywhorl wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:39 pm If it shows up at all, the adapter is working. It can only be communicated with via Putty using a Serial COM port, not via IP address. You can find the correct COM port via the device manager. click on Modems where the 7690 should be and right click on it. Then click properties. then click on the Advanced tab, then on the Advanced Port Settings. The COM port will be on the lower corner.

Set Putty to serial connection and change teh default COM1 to what your PC loaded the 7690 to.

This is all I do.

Gotta make sure you have all the 5G Sierra Windows Drivers. I use Win10

The red LED means that is has power to the modem. The Green LED means the modem is trying to transmit data. It will not stay green when connected for all modems. Different modems act differently for the LEDs.
Ok, so I successfully sent commands and accomplished what I needed to there. Great joy and then back to anxiety.

I put the modem back in the router (an em7960 device I did not realized was kinda despised here with little customer service called the 5500...) and I don't know if it's recognizing the modem. I hope someone is willing to help here, but I understand if not. I didn't do enough homework and I'm really feeling it now.

When I took the module out, I really messed up by not realizing there were two slots. Hating myself here. It looks like it's supposed to be module #1, but I don't know which is which. Gonna look closer for marking on the boards but one screw was overtorqued so I can't take the cover off completely without taking power tools to it.

The other thing is, did I need to put in a command or flip the board switch to get the modem set back to the proper mode?
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

No MOFI despising here. Some people have just had a bad experience with their support and in 'some' cases lack of.

I think the right most modem slot, looking from the ethernet ports side facing you, is the first modem slot. That is how mine is. I don't believe there is a mode switch on the 5500 router board. I don't see one on the router I have, BUT mine came with the Sierra EM7411. I got an early model.
cshock

Post by cshock »

Didneywhorl wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:33 am No MOFI despising here. Some people have just had a bad experience with their support and in 'some' cases lack of.

I think the right most modem slot, looking from the ethernet ports side facing you, is the first modem slot. That is how mine is. I don't believe there is a mode switch on the 5500 router board. I don't see one on the router I have, BUT mine came with the Sierra EM7411. I got an early model.
Thanks, I'll try everything in that spot first.

Maybe the modem light only comes on when there's a sim card in there (should have written this stuff down) so I'll try that next. Maybe it is recognized and I'm just too stupid to figure that out quickly late last night. I'll poke around today.

Would putting the modem back in the mofi automatically take it out of USB mode, or do I need to put it back in the sled and flip the switch upwards?
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

USB mode is done with physical electrical signals for those modems in particular. It should work without doing anything, regardless of removal and reinsertion.
cshock

Post by cshock »

I'm back on the network with the 7960 in the 5500!!! Thanks so much!!!!! Turns out it recognized it in either slot and I'm just slow.

Still no word from Canada.... 'll be taking my business to wireless Haven in the future.

Have a nice evening!
cshock

Post by cshock »

Hm, well, when I ran the wizard to set the wifi password it took me off. I think it may have changed apn. Damnit.

Should I be using ipv4v6 or ipv4 only for calyx?
cshock

Post by cshock »

Okay, it was ipv4v6 on the Franklin but ipv4 is what works on the mofi. I still don't understand this black magic field.

Sorry for wasting your time. Thanks again!
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

It's likely that the mofi5500 firmware doesn't know how to handle IPV4 over IPV6 traffic, and it seems the new Sprint turned Tmo SIMs are using IPV6 only. The majority of web traffic uses IPV4 so the router has to have a way to tunnel IPV4 over IPV6. It MIGHT be able to, I haven't tested it myself. My 5500 hasn't been powered on in months.
cshock

Re: Sierra EM7690 - MOFI5500 Help

Post by cshock »

Hm, odd, as it defaults to ipv4v6 if you select fast as the apn in the wizard after a factory reset. As long as the current settings work I'm happy, I suppose.

So the majority of internet traffic uses ipv4, good to know. Are there any issues I should watch for when not using ipv6? I don't have any plans to do anything fancy like set up a smart home. I use the wifi for video meetings, email, shopping, streaming, and surfing. I do play one MMORPG which is running fine as I type. My sibling occasionally uses the wifi for multiplayer games as well.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

IPV6 adoption is very slow. It's not new, but the world is running out of IPV4 addresses. It will be more of a backwards compatibility thing. Tmobile seems to be the first to really start pushing for it.
Gator1552
Been thanked: 0

Post by Gator1552 »

Hello, I have a mofi5500 no internet connection, lights blink it says ipv4 unavailable, can anyone help me please.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Gator1552 wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:07 pm Hello, I have a mofi5500 no internet connection, lights blink it says ipv4 unavailable, can anyone help me please.
Make a separate post for your need. Make sure you state which version you have in your post.

Return to “MoFi Routers”