Nighthawk M1 Removing metal shields on back of PCB to replace Type C port

Topics for Netgear Nighthawks MRxxxx Series Hotspots
danimal86
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Nighthawk M1 Removing metal shields on back of PCB to replace Type C port

Post by danimal86 »

I've got a M1 with a bad Type C port that has part of the connector bent up in the connector and cant insert the charging cable. I've gone in with a pick and tried to bend it back, but no luck.
I want to replace the connector but have ran into two problems:
1) there's the metal shields on the back of the board so it might make it a little more difficult.
I was reading through this thread https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?t=787 and saw a link to a picture of the back of the board with the top of those metal shields off, anyone know how to get them off?
Mr1100 Plates Removed.JPG
2) I have no idea where to find a replacement Type C port. The spacing on the 12 pins looks different than everything i can find on Digikey, Mouser, Aliexpress...
Type C connector.jpg
Anyone know where to find one? All the ones i can find dont have that gap in the middle of the 12pins.

If someone can post a link to the replacement, i'll give a $10 bounty via paypal/amazon gc

Thanks,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
danimal86

Re: Nighthawk M1 Removing metal shields on back of PCB to replace Type C port

Post by danimal86 »

Progress update:
I went at the cover that sits on the underside of the usb port with a 30deg pick and was able to pop it off, its just friction fit on there.

So it looks like there are 2 through hole pins inbetween those capacitor/resistors? Or are those something else?
PXL_20220517_160945662.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mtl26637

Post by mtl26637 »

I don't think those are through the board. They are small filter caps more than likely. What you are seeing between the 2 existing caps are pads for what looks like another cap that did not get installed for whatever reason. The USB connector will have 4 soldered mount points roughly at the 4 corners and then you have your soldered pins from the connector itself. Sometimes it is easier to just carefully cut the metal tabs of the connector rather than trying to heat the entire thing up all at once to remove. All depends on the tools you have on hand I guess. If you have a small rework station you might start with removing it as a whole but if not I'd probably just cut it to begin with.

Google the number on top of that connector "19062506 usb port". See what you can find. Have to do some up close comparisons.
danimal86

Post by danimal86 »

mtl26637 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 3:33 pm I don't think those are through the board. They are small filter caps more than likely. What you are seeing between the 2 existing caps are pads for what looks like another cap that did not get installed for whatever reason. The USB connector will have 4 soldered mount points roughly at the 4 corners and then you have your soldered pins from the connector itself. Sometimes it is easier to just carefully cut the metal tabs of the connector rather than trying to heat the entire thing up all at once to remove. All depends on the tools you have on hand I guess. If you have a small rework station you might start with removing it as a whole but if not I'd probably just cut it to begin with.

Google the number on top of that connector "19062506 usb port". See what you can find. Have to do some up close comparisons.
hey thanks for the response!
I'm glad that those points in between the filter caps is just a blank, i thought that was the nail in the coffin for getting a replacement.

Yeah, i had really high hopes for when i first got it and saw that number listed on the top of the usb port...figured a quick google search and order away. Unfortunately, i couldn't find anything linked to that number. I started searching through digikey and couldn't find anything with the pin alignment like this (2 blocks of 6 pins). Any ideas?
I may go ahead an snip the pins like you were saying, or might look for an inexpensive hot air station and try to remove them properly.

Edit:
Looking at that FCCID page that shows the insides of the board, i see the number printed on top of the usb port is different than the one i have. I cant make it out, but it looks like 17030600?
Type C from FCC.JPG
mtl26637

Post by mtl26637 »

You may have to remove it do get a better look at the bottom side layout. There are probably 24 pins, 12 of which you cannot see..?
danimal86

Post by danimal86 »

mtl26637 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 4:25 pm You may have to remove it do get a better look at the bottom side layout. There are probably 24 pins, 12 of which you cannot see..?
Looks like i'll be on the lookout for an inexpensive hot air station in the near future.

Return to “Nighthawks MR1100 - MR5200 (M1...M5...)”