LTE & WiFi 'booster'/router for RV

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
tazzytazzy2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

LTE & WiFi 'booster'/router for RV

Post by tazzytazzy2 »

Right now we have a cheapie LTE router in our travel trailer. It kinda works as an LTE router, but doesn't do any WiFi as WAN repeating.

We're not power surfing while traveling, so we don't need uber bandwidth and crazy performance. But, a reliable connection with the use of a roof-mounted LTE antenna to get better range than what our cell phones could get. Our RV also needs internet to report the GPS position every 15 minutes when stationary and every 1 minute when moving. It's not bandwidth-intensive, but want a reliable connection for this.

I'm getting lost with all the options out there. But, here's what I'd like:

* External LTE antennas - only need 4 feet of cable.
* External WiFi antennas - only need 4 feet of cable.
** Here's where I might be lost: I'm thinking of placing one on the roof to connect to external WiFi networks as well as provide WiFi coverage around the campsite. The other WiFi antenna would be inside the trailer.
* Ideally, low power as possible as we mostly dry camp (no electric power - battery only).
* If any pre-configured WiFi network is available, connect to that network and route it to the RV devices and make it available to our cell phones/tablets/Alexa. If no WiFi network is available, connect to LTE.
** A somewhat easy interface to add WiFi networks as we travel.

I looked at the GL iNet devices and saw the Spitz GL-X750V2 and it seems to do everything I want, except they don't have a model with external WiFi antennas that are easy to buy. Their web interface + mobile app seems really nice.

What device would you recommend?

I saw this device: https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/route ... le-mc7455/

But I'm not sure if it does the auto wifi-connecting/routing.
Fuzzball123
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: LTE & WiFi 'booster'/router for RV

Post by Fuzzball123 »

Did you ever find what you needed? I’m actually looking for almost the same features, but my main reason for needing some type of data connection is for the kids. but just not sure what is the best thing to go with. one option i have is a Teton HD that came preinstalled on my camper, but it doesn’t have an lte modem in it. I’m trying to find the cost of getting an lte modem installed, but not having much luck so far. Company says I have to contact the RV dealer since it’s a dealer option.
I was trying to find an alternative, and found this forum and wirelesshaven. So I’m curious if just doing my own would be just as good or better. However, I wasn’t sure about switching between LTE and the campground Wi-Fi (if it’s actually usable) to save some data.
I saw the spitz as well, I just wish it had an easy option for external antennas as well

If you did decide on a setup, please share, I’m curious how it is working for you. Thanks!

Return to “General and Unclassified”