ZBT WG1608 - Modem not found

Topics related to ZBT Routers
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
implant_chip
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

ZBT WG1608 - Modem not found

Post by implant_chip »

Hey everyone,

After I got my router working I offered to help a couple neighbors setup a system. I ordered two WG1608s off Ali Express along with two RM502-AE modems, some heat sinks, and some antennas.

I flashed the latest goldenOrb standard release on both units. I then installed the modems into the M.2 slots, but the routers cannot detect the modems. The menus say there is nothing connected. I checked and everything was connected correctly, the routers both work fine otherwise.

This is happening with both routers, no matter what combination of modem/router I use. Im thinking its software or me, but Im really worried its bad modems. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions?
JimHelms
Site Admin

Re: ZBT WG1608 - Modem not found

Post by JimHelms »

You may try the latest WiFiX firmware.
implant_chip

Post by implant_chip »

Still in the same boat, "No Modem Present." Tried Wifix firmware, goldenorb, same thing.

Could the modem not have firmware installed? Do I need to just send them back?
Exmen

Post by Exmen »

i have same issue ...the router dont detect modem (simcom SIM8200EA-M2) at bootup with rooter or wifix firmwares but its only detected with the chinese firmware... another thing is if i open the router cover and reinstalled the modem after the system boot (rooter
/wifix ) then the router detect m.2 modem
crxmodz

Post by crxmodz »

does this router support PCIe Mode? according to documentation it does, mine even has the pcie ngff slot, but i cant find any documentation to switch from usb mode to pcie mode, and alot of the modems floating around have efuse blown to keep from reverting to usb mode.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

I don't think it does. I haven't tested it myself yet though, so... <grain of salt>
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

@implant_chip , what is the full model number of the modem?

Also, what is the full firmware version on the modem?
crxmodz

Post by crxmodz »

so after some inspecting i do not see any way of this using the modem in PCIe mode, the only chip connected to the sockets goes to a GL chip which is a USB hub controller sadly, next best thing would probably be an PCIE to RJ45 adapter from AliExpress as i have a colleague who had luck running pcie mode with those directly to an ethernet port, then just connect straight to a lan router.
crxmodz

Post by crxmodz »

Update, the rj45 adapter does not work, more than likely talent and rj45 have to be enabled via at command first which you would need pcie com port first which is still a challenge finding pcie to ngff that has the full pcie interface not just usb
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

am in the same boat.
If recall there was some doc saying it could run pci but the other feedback was the m.2 only runs of the USB controller and have not been able to get USB supporting one to working either.

I got a 1 gig 4 g modem Fibocom L860 LTE Module and it was not seen.. with a m.2 with sim to USB converter goldenorb has no problem seeing it when it was plugged into the USB port. This would indicate this modem can run in USB mode as well.
Usually the full versions of modems can run in either mode but as was said the OEM ones have the USB disabled and it is challenging to find any router with PCI.
What has been a recommendation for the PCI modems is get a mini PC and install Linux and via the relevant converter you can get PCI channels.

The other issue I have seen is lack of support, like goldenorb only supports a few high end modems and does not support PCI (need to recheck it all)

What ZBT WG1608 do you have? I have ZBT WG1608-32..
If have the ZBT WG1608-16 then could also try openwrt and it is a lot more up to date and has greater ability to tinker..
However as mentioned depending on the modem one may be stuck with linux. But we have been looking at this for some time and can see things are slowly getting there as far as firmware support..

Also what modem are you trying to use? And yes I have heard of custom versions being installed on some China modems to get them to work so they may have special drivers for the modems!

EDIT: I see you mentioned: RM502-AE, is there another number?
When seaching Aliexpress i found: 5G wifi module IoT/eMBB RM502Q-AE rm502q rm502
And when i check goldenorb compatibility i only see:
Quectel EC25 EM/EP06 BG96 EM12 EM20 EM160 R500Q R502Q - LTE

But also found it mentioned:
Extensive support for different makes and models of USB Cellular modems including 3G, LTE and 5G models using USB, PCie or M.2 interfaces.

So does seem to have been updated since looked at last year.. Or while it sais PCie it also at least sais 5g and m.2 now..and is it talking about the slot and having some USB conveter..
Other modem I originally got that wanted to try and get working was PCI only Foxconn T99W175 snapdragon X55 4G 5G bands but when checking compatabilty of goldenorb it only has T77 listed. And have issues with openwrt not supporting the 32m version of the router.
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

Did you ever manage to make any progress with this?

I have tried a couple of times since and still not managed to get anything to pickup in the onboard m.2 slot.
One odd item I came across was unless the sim was pressent then the modem would not start or do anything so other thought was if there was somthing up with the sim slot but other modems in other devices always give a no sim error..

Now have a modem in the m.2 while using one plugged into external port for internet so can try things.. Still would love to know what other config the original firmware has installed to allow it to see stuff.. makes me think there a options not installed that are needed..

Return to “ZBT Routers”