T Mobile HI with VPN and Throttling

Topics addressing TTL settings for Throttling, Tethering and Hotspot Usage
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
Awesomeness

T Mobile HI with VPN and Throttling

Post by Awesomeness »

I have been playing around with a VPN to access some of my devices outside the network. Today I noticed something peculiar. I have been getting slower speeds the last few day. I chalked it up to being throttled. It's still plenty fast enough so I'm not going to complain considering my alternatives. So I connected to the VPN and decided to see how much speed I was loosing through the VPN and to my surprise I get my typical speed of 130/25. The ping was about 10ms higher but the speed is so much better. So I turned off the VPN, reloaded the page and connected to the exact same server and I got the speed I have been getting for a few days which is 45/20. I wouldn't think a VPN would be able to bypass throttling since my modem still has to communicate it's IMEI and TTL setting with the tower. So is this what's happening? Am I bypassing the throttling with the VPN?
Didneywhorl

Re: T Mobile HI with VPN and Throttling

Post by Didneywhorl »

Could be throttling due to the network metering where the traffic is going, like streaming traffic etc.
Awesomeness

Re: T Mobile HI with VPN and Throttling

Post by Awesomeness »

Gotcha. Yeah that makes a lot of sense. I was just curious why that might be happening. Thanks!

Return to “TTL Settings - Throttling, Tethering and Hotspot Usage”