SIM8200EA-M2 with T-Mobile and Aggregation

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
Awesomeness

SIM8200EA-M2 with T-Mobile and Aggregation

Post by Awesomeness »

Hey guys, so I've switched my nokia trashcan out for a Rooter Pi with the Waveshare hat that has the SIM8200EA. It works just fine and I can connect to band 71 which is the 5GNR band here. The problem is that the signal is slightly better than what it was on the trashcan but I get about half the speed. I'm hovering around 61% signal on Rooter and get about 60 Megs or so down and 11 up. On the trashcan modem I was getting around 120 down and about the same up. But I would have thought with the outdoor antennas and the improved signal the Simcom modem would come out on top. I don't believe the modem is utilizing aggregation as when I display the connected bands with AT commands it shows only bad 71 and I have poured through the AT manual and there is no command to force aggregation. So what am I doing wrong here? Any help would be much appreciated. I've been working on this for about a month now off and on and it's driving me crazy.
Didneywhorl

Re: SIM8200EA-M2 with T-Mobile and Aggregation

Post by Didneywhorl »

You'll have to play with the configuration on the Rpi. I was never able to get the throughput I wanted on mine, but I haven't messed with mine in about a year.

Aggregation, when active on the tower, is very dependent on the band you are anchored to; the primary band that it is initially connected to.

Look up the carrier aggregation tables for your modem, the order of the bands listed in those tables is very important and are listed in order from anchor band to aggregated bands.

Theoretical-off-my-imagination-Example: Band X might aggregate with Band Y, but BY wont aggregate with BX. Make sense? Again that is just an example, not from a real table. But the table if real would list it like this: BX + BY, and there would be no BY + BX in the table; for this imaginary example.
Awesomeness

Post by Awesomeness »

That's the big problem I'm having. I can't find any info on the aggregation capabilities of the SIM8200EA. I've looked through all the documents on their page and searched Google and can find no mention of Aggregation other than a brief mention on the Waveshare page where I bought the modem and hat that basically just says it's capable of aggregation. I did a search through the AT manual and couldn't find any reference to aggregation. I know on the Quectel modems you can set aggregation groups manually but that doesn't seem to be possible with the Simcom modem.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Have you emailed SIMCOM?
Awesomeness

Post by Awesomeness »

I emailed them after I read your comment the other day and they have yet to respond to it. I'm not sure if they provide that information as I can't find it anywhere. I'm considering selling the SIM8200EA since the resell value is pretty good and possibly buying an RM502Q so that I will have more granular control over the modem. I had considered buying a MOFI 5500 with the EM9191 since that modem doesn't appear to be supported by Rooter and from all the things I've read the EM9191 seems to be superior to the RM502Q. But I've done some research on Mofi and it seem customer service is pretty bad and they don't like to take returns.
bjames

Post by bjames »

Awesomeness wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:19 pm I had considered buying a MOFI 5500 with the EM9191 since that modem doesn't appear to be supported by Rooter and from all the things I've read the EM9191 seems to be superior to the RM502Q.
The EM9191 is supported in the latest WIFIX firmware but does not yet have the option from the Web UI to lock bands. Locking bands must be done using the MISC modem terminal. But to be honest, it is only on the rare occasion that I am forced to lock bands to eliminate one that is congested.

I cannot honestly say if the EM9191 is better than the RM502Q as I am biased in favor of Sierra Wireless modems.

I am running the WIFIX NEXP1GO with the EM9191 in an external USB3.0 to M.2 adapter enclosure from LTEFix Wireless Haven. I also purchased one of their 4x4 MIMO antenna enclosures that I will mount the NEXP1GO internally when time permits. Or at least it is on my project list.

I currently have a CBA850 with a EM7565 in an external WIFIX enclosure and connected to two of the 15dBi antennas that I have used for years. It has been rock solid with my Sprint data plan that is about to be terminated in June. I then have plans to reconfigure the setup for ATT and install the unit for my elderly neighbor who lacks any type of internet service other than her phone.
But I've done some research on Mofi and it seem customer service is pretty bad and they don't like to take returns.
I have heard this from a lot of unsatisfied customers. Never really had to deal with them personally.
token

Post by token »

Awesomeness wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:19 pm I emailed them after I read your comment the other day and they have yet to respond to it. I'm not sure if they provide that information as I can't find it anywhere.
Sorry I'm late to the party, but I've found this site to be an invaluable resource, and they happen to have the 8200ea on there. It tells you which bands can aggregate, very detailed. Exactly the info you were looking for.

https://cacombos.com/device/SIM8200EA-M2

Hope this helps. Wish I saw your post sooner when this was likely more relevant.

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”