Choosing a router, modem, and antenna

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
AlteredLogic

Choosing a router, modem, and antenna

Post by AlteredLogic »

I'm quickly trying to figure out what else to get because my mofi is on it's last legs. I'm a competitive halo infinite player on pc and I haven't been able to play with my team for league matches because of my setup barely hanging on. I want the modem and router together outside, no long LMR400 cables, and I want the best signal and least delay as possible. I have US Cellular 5G but it isn't very good (4 down 1 up, 80ms ping) and T-Mobile 5g coverage map says I'm on the fringe of extended range 5g and 4g (I went into a tmobile store and was told I probably wouldn't get good service and they wouldn't let me try the home internet) so I don't know if its worth trying. Currently have Verizon 4G LTE prepaid but it gets bad deprioritization around 6pm and I can't play halo nor any other games because of lag so I don't know if 4x4 mimo cat18 or 2x2 cat12 mimo would help or not. I have band 13,4,66 on the closest tower and have seen band 2,5 in the area. I want to just get the equipment and it work, I don't want to worry about having the wrong settings or something. My price limit is about $700 but may be able to increase. I need to be able to advanced lock bands like the mofi. Thank you for you help.
gscheb

Re: Choosing a router, modem, and antenna build

Post by gscheb »

Hello,
Check out att&t coverage. At&t post pay tablet works great for gaming.
AlteredLogic

Re: Choosing a router, modem, and antenna build

Post by AlteredLogic »

gscheb wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:00 pm Hello,
Check out att&t coverage. At&t post pay tablet works great for gaming.
ATT not good out here and it typically has a strict nat when gaming, I'm in a rural area so speeds aren't great and signal is weak, but yes I believe ATT does have pretty good ping times.
Adm1jtg

Re: Choosing a router, modem, and antenna

Post by Adm1jtg »

I am also on verizon in a very fringe area. No chance for coverage from anyone BUT verizon actually. The deprioritization issue is on the verizon side and I know no way around it other then getting a different plan with more "high speed" data.

Now as far as the basics on what to do....

In my specific case I bought a dedicated router with a modem inside. I also ran LMR400 cables to my roof and added in 2 external antennas pointed at my closest line of sight tower. I can provide as much detail as you want on the specifics of the hardware and antennas and all but there are many in here much better at recommendations for those types of things then me.

After testing I ended up bandlocking to band 66 with a modem that CAA to band 66 as well. This gives me the most bandwidth available, Bands 2,4 (band 66 is a superset of 4), 5 and 13 were also available but they were less bandwidth, thus in my case worse results.

Hopefully this helps
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Adm1jtg wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:16 pm I am also on verizon in a very fringe area. No chance for coverage from anyone BUT verizon actually. The deprioritization issue is on the verizon side and I know no way around it other then getting a different plan with more "high speed" data.

In my specific case I bought a dedicated router with a modem inside. I also ran LMR400 cables to my roof and added in 2 external antennas pointed at my closest line of sight tower. I can provide as much detail as you want on the specifics of the hardware and antennas and all but there are many in here much better at recommendations for those types of things then me.

After testing I ended up bandlocking to band 66 with a modem that CAA to band 66 as well. This gives me the most bandwidth available, Bands 2,4 (band 66 is a superset of 4), 5 and 13 were also available but they were less bandwidth, thus in my case worse results.
Hopefully this helps
Hello, curious to what Verizon plan you are using?
Adm1jtg

Post by Adm1jtg »

I am on a discontinued 55+ loyalty plan. Wouldn't be good for you anyway as it throttles at will. I am just so remote that I very rarely get throttled.
AlteredLogic

Post by AlteredLogic »

Adm1jtg wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:16 pm I am also on verizon in a very fringe area. No chance for coverage from anyone BUT verizon actually. The deprioritization issue is on the verizon side and I know no way around it other then getting a different plan with more "high speed" data.

Hopefully this helps
I appreciate the offer, I ended up going with a 4G intsy Connect but my Verizon service is still sketchy. What I did find out is that shortening the cables from the modem and antenna can provide quite a bit of extra signal strength and performance uplift even if the antenna isn't the greatest. Having the modem/router and the antenna outside together is a ideal setup. I'm searching for a solution but I think its more on the fault of Verizon being overloaded and my connection being deprioritized like you said previously so I've been looking into other 4G/5G providers and Starlink more. Thank you for your message :)

Return to “General and Unclassified”