Open DNS filter

Topics related to WiFiX branded routers
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
dmire44
Been thanked: 0

Open DNS filter

Post by dmire44 »

I'm new to using NEXQ6GO. After I sign in to router by password, how can I setup Open dns filter ip addresses and where to start? I want to use this on my wireless network to protect my grandchildren's usage. Any help appreciated!
Didneywhorl

Re: Open DNS filter

Post by Didneywhorl »

Hey @dmire44 you should set the DNS settings on your modem connection profile. I believe the tab is the advanced tab. Menu is Modem->Connection Profile.

You can also set DNS settings on the interfaces, like your ethernet and WLAN (WiFi) if I recall correctly. This is under Menu: Network->Interfaces then select edit on the LAN or WLAN0 WLAN1 etc. You may have to change the DNS settings on the WLAN under Network->Wireless-> Edit button.

Make sure to save and apply (button at the bottom of the page) before moving to another page for settings.
dmire44

Post by dmire44 »

Thanx for your response. I'm a total noob on working with LuCl gui interface. Don't want to destroy the paid setup by LTEfix of the NEXQ6GO router that I just purchased.
OpenDNS family filter has addresses to input to DNS server settings. They are
I don't see anyplace on Network->interface or Network->wireless to apply. I don't even know whether to input in Wan,Wan1,Wan2?? In other words, I need specific instructions to setup Family filter for my grandkids on wifi.
Would you be able to help or point me to a source that can?
dmire44

Post by dmire44 »

Thanx for your response. I'm a total noob on working with LuCl gui interface. Don't want to destroy the paid setup by LTEfix of the NEXQ6GO router that I just purchased.
OpenDNS family filter has addresses to input to DNS server settings. They are
I don't see anyplace on Network->interface or Network->wireless to apply. I don't even know whether to input in Wan,Wan1,Wan2?? In other words, I need specific instructions to setup Family filter for my grandkids on wifi.
Would you be able to help or point me to a source that can?
Screenshot (1)_LI.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

I wrote up a full writeup. Never posted.

Sheesh. LOL. Anyway

Click on Edit button in line with LAN and WAN you will see an advanced tab. There is a checkbox for something mentioning DNS. Click that and the DNS custom DNS entry appears. Leave the DNS search domain and the DNS weight blank.

For the modem set custom DNS under Modem menu->Connection Profile->Advanced tab.

Make sure to save and apply before changing pages
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

dmire44

Post by dmire44 »

Success! With your support, I was able to accomplish my goal. My lan is connected to OpenDNS as well as wifi. I noticed that Nord vpn doesn't seem to want to play well with the filter installed.
dmire44

Post by dmire44 »

Ok, OpenDNS works as tested following instructions above.
NOW I want to separate ethernet connection from OpenDNS. Where do I edit OR do I need to set up a wireless network with OpenDNS only on wifi.
Reason being, that I can't use Nord vpn on ethernet/lan connection with OpenDNS filter applied.
I created a guest wifi but don't see how to apply OpenDNS to it only.
Hope this makes sense.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Outside my experience. I'm honestly not 100% sure.

Best guess is to separate one or multiple ethernet ports into its own VLAN under switch and then set that interface to its own DNS setting? I've no experience there. Hopefully some networking guru can chime in.

Return to “WiFiX Routers”