What makes newer LTE category modems better?

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
billionhertz
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What makes newer LTE category modems better?

Post by billionhertz »

It's my first post! I haven't found a whole lot of good info on LTE cats on Google. The popular ones I see are 7, 12, 16, 18, and 20. What are the benefits besides greater bandwidth?

If my ISP is going to max my connection out at 20Mbps why does it matter if I have a category 7 or 12 modem?

I've seen some things about carrier aggregation and increase in available bands, but am interested in some further explanation+clarification, as I can't say I fully understand how aggregation works.

Thanks so much!
gscheb

Re: What makes newer LTE category modems better?

Post by gscheb »

If you max really will be 20Mbps Category 4 will be all needed.
Think you could find a better data plan. What plan is this?

billionhertz
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by billionhertz »

gscheb wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:54 pm If you max really will be 20Mbps Category 4 will be all needed.
Think you could find a better data plan. What plan is this?
It's Verizon/Visible. On a good day I'll see ~20-30 down on my phones with a booster.
LoveMeSomeCALTE

Post by LoveMeSomeCALTE »

billionhertz,

if you can afford to wait, I recommend waiting until 5G modems can be purchased for sub $100 - by then most of this information will be obsolete.
mtl26637

Post by mtl26637 »

billionhertz wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:52 am What are the benefits besides greater bandwidth?
The category is basically a timeline of the LTE technology. When LTE first started it released at something like CAT4, then with each progression of the technology and release of LTE specs, the hardware would advance by category. Also with each release of LTE came additional CA (carrier aggregation) combinations that were accepted so a CAT 12 modem will have access to many more combinations of bands than a lower CAT modem.
If my ISP is going to max my connection out at 20Mbps why does it matter if I have a category 7 or 12 modem?
Is your determination of ISP throttling solely based on what you have observed from speeds from your phone? Why is it that you think your LTE ISP will max out at 20mbps? Yes, phone modems are mostly superior than many LTE modem/router combinations out there, however, your signal strength and mostly quality of signal are most important and that can be greatly improved with external antennas/equipment (unless you live under the tower).
I've seen some things about carrier aggregation and increase in available bands, but am interested in some further explanation+clarification, as I can't say I fully understand how aggregation works.
CA is simple. The LTE provider broadcasts signals from the tower on different bands and channels. Most providers broadcast a handful of different bands/channels on different frequencies since different frequencies travel farther than others. CA (carrier aggregation) will combine these when your phone or modem is uploading or downloading large amounts of information. In simple terms the tower opens up and lets you access additional bandwidth with a second or third or fourth band temporarily when an extra boost is needed.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

So the issue with visible is allot of people get stuck on the 5 up and down with LTE routers. If you can get a different plan other that Visible that doesn't have that issue and put an outdoor antenna that would get you better speeds. Is there a chance you could get AT&T or T-Mobile signal there?
Outdoor antennas can change everything. Outdoor antenna in my opinion can be more beneficial than higher category modem. Can get like a 120 down and 40 up on a category 4 modem with a good outdoor antenna connection. Cell phone boosters are not very helpful for home internet use. Great for cell phone reception but not for home internet use. I started the same way with a booster. Trust me outdoor antenna straight to a router is way better.

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”