Beginner build questions - Rpi 4 + DW 5821e

cooltech6
Has thanked: 0

Beginner build questions - Rpi 4 + DW 5821e

Post by cooltech6 »

Hi, I am new to putting together LTE routers, and it would be helpful if I can get input on my current plans. I currently have an a10e with Visible tethered to a RPi 4 running OpenWRT, but the phone tethering is unstable (need airplane reset every few hours, need to reboot phone once in a while, etc). I plan to purchase a DW 5821e modem from eBay, since it seems to be a cheap cat 16 modem that is supported by Golden Orb. I am also planning to buy a Wireless Haven USB 3 enclosure with 2 sets of these cheap antennas from Amazon: https://amzn.to/36weDXS. Will the Dell modem be "plug and play" with the Golden Orb software, or should I buy a modem that has better compatibility?

And about Visible Wireless, I plan to do an IMEI change to a broken iPhone 12PM (I currently do this with a Franklin T9), and set the TTL to 67 like on my pi4 currently. Will the Visible SIM connect with this modem with just the VSBLINTERNET APN?

Any input and suggestions are appreciated!
DDK65JAG
Has thanked: 0

Re: Beginner build questions - Rpi 4 + DW 5821e

Post by DDK65JAG »

The antennas you linked to are RP-SMA, they don't have the center pin needed to make a connection to the
SMA connectors on most modem adapters. So, double check what you need for the enclosure.

DDK
mtl26637

Post by mtl26637 »

If you want 'plug n play' I would stay far far away from the Dell DW5821e. This modem is a great buy and probably the best bang for your buck BUT some don't have open ports and can be hard to get up and running. I've had a few of these and you basically have to have a Dell laptop to modify or flash it and it takes a specific firmware to work with certain carriers. Windows 7 running on the laptop is also highly recommended. Yes they also work with linux, however, win7 seems to offer the most tools for this modem. Basically downloading the entire set of drivers from A01 through A13 and flashing flashing flashing to get to the one that works. The latest versions dont seem to work so going with an older version was the only working solution I could ever find. Just pray something doesn't go bad and your ports disappear. I've spent too much time fighting with mine over the past couple years. I still fight with random reboots too. There is a chance you could buy one and it be set up and works right from the start but its risky.
dbshelton

Post by dbshelton »

I have had great luck with the 2 DW 5821E modems that I bought, but I think it may be a crap shoot. Neither will work inside a router but both work fine inside a USB3 external enclosure from Wireless Haven. I don't even know what firmware they are using, just change their identity and they go. Mine work on T-Mobile and AT&T. I have been told that the best version to use is OPH6K2 so that is what I bought. I have had great luck but others have had a nightmare trying to get one of these to work.

Return to “Raspberry Pi”