Change router addresses

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
dbshelton

Change router addresses

Post by dbshelton »

I know this may be a simple question but I now have 3 routers at the same IP address (192.168.1.1) Should I change 2 of them to another address? If so, how do I do that in Rooter?
Rich Hathaway

Re: Change router addresses

Post by Rich Hathaway »

Those are the local ip's you dont need to change them.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Are you running them together on the same physical local network sharing the internet from one to the other two? Typically you can go without changing them, this just creates multi-NAT, but you can change them if you want to keep them separated as unique LANs.

If you are running them each with their own internet connections I wouldn't run them together on the same physical network, unless you run them into a multi-WAN capable router to feed the entire place, or really know networking. That's just me though.

The setting is under Network->Interfaces->LAN-> Edit then change the IP address. It can sometimes reverse itself if you don't reconnect to the router on the new IP range quick enough. Pain in the arse.

I prefer to SSH in and edit (with nano) the network config file under: /etc/config/

Then reboot and check.
dbshelton

Post by dbshelton »

They are only connected through a multi WAN router TPLink ER605 to my desktop. Other than that, everyone else in the family connects wirelessly to one of them. Haven't noticed any problems like things are. Still figuring out settings on the ER605
BTW I really don't know anything about networking.

Return to “General and Unclassified”