foxconn T99W175 5g modem, anyone?

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
packlet
Has thanked: 0

foxconn T99W175 5g modem, anyone?

Post by packlet »

hardware specs indicate USB:

Connectivity:
- PCI expresses (Supports Endpoint and Root Complex, Gen 3, 2 lanes)
- USB 2.0 or USB 3.1 Gen2

but many sellers go out of their way to indicate supports PCIe only...

Wazzup with that? Is it a firmware version thing? Engineering sample vs production issue? configuration?

TIA, Paul.
packlet

Re: foxconn T99W175 5g modem, anyone?

Post by packlet »

https://github.com/freedesktop/ModemMan ... aster/NEWS (search 't99')

It seems MM supports this modem, but it's not clear to me if that means there's a way to make it work with USB, or if the Linux drivers now support mPCIe modems including this one...
Johnsieve

Post by Johnsieve »

I've been looking real close at the t99w175 modem and it's variations. some new 5g modems like sierras require voltage on pin 20 of the m.2 interface, if this is not present, the modem will operate in PCIe mode. There is no command to change this. a variation of this modem made by Thales as the MV31 has separate USB and PCIe SKUs. Also, dell, lenovo, and HP all fairly often keep these modules updated. they ALL have different vendor, manufacturer, PCI ID, VID. HP has the most open drivers/firmware, but lenovo update more often. I just ordered a lenovo, and a m.2 to pci x16 adapter hoping that i can get this thing to power on in pcie mode. I have not received the unit yet, and i hope i can dump my thales modem with EDL tool, and flash it to the t99w175, and risk bricking it! the thales modem is a mighty fine cat20 modem, and does 5g n71 great.
packlet

Post by packlet »

I did notice the Thales/Cinterion MV31 USB variant, and wondered if inspection could determine how the USB interface is enabled so as to possibly do the same for the (more readily available and cheaper) T99w175...
rosenrot
Been thanked: 0

Post by rosenrot »

Johnsieve wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:13 pm I've been looking real close at the t99w175 modem and it's variations. some new 5g modems like sierras require voltage on pin 20 of the m.2 interface, if this is not present, the modem will operate in PCIe mode. There is no command to change this. a variation of this modem made by Thales as the MV31 has separate USB and PCIe SKUs. Also, dell, lenovo, and HP all fairly often keep these modules updated. they ALL have different vendor, manufacturer, PCI ID, VID. HP has the most open drivers/firmware, but lenovo update more often. I just ordered a lenovo, and a m.2 to pci x16 adapter hoping that i can get this thing to power on in pcie mode. I have not received the unit yet, and i hope i can dump my thales modem with EDL tool, and flash it to the t99w175, and risk bricking it! the thales modem is a mighty fine cat20 modem, and does 5g n71 great.
Have you been able dumping the MV31 firmware and flash it to the t99w? Sounds like an interesting idea to me.

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”