Anyone transition AirMaster 4000D from Sprint to T-Mobile

Questions and Support related to Antennas & Cables
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related issues PRIOR to posting for assistance.
willmw
Been thanked: 0

Anyone transition AirMaster 4000D from Sprint to T-Mobile

Post by willmw »

I recently got a letter from T-Mobile indicating that my 'current' hotspot would no longer work after the Sprint network was transitioned/replaced with T-mobile after June 30, 2022. I've not used the Sprint hotspot since I got the AirMaster 4000D for use on Sprint Band 41.

When I told them I was using a 3rd party device and not the hotspot they agreed to send me a SIM to try in the AirMaster (which I didn't name during the conversation, merely calling it a 3rd party device).

Any idea if this device is going to work with the new SIM card? I am due for Starlink delivery in the next few weeks, but was hoping I might keep this device/plan as a backup.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Re: Anyone transition AirMaster 4000D from Sprint to T-Mobile

Post by JimHelms »

willmw wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:05 pm
I've not used the Sprint hotspot since I got the AirMaster 4000D for use on Sprint Band 41.

Any idea if this device is going to work with the new SIM card?
Depends on what they ultimately decide to do with Band 41.

I would certainly try it. I would follow this TUTORIAL in changing the APN to:

Code: Select all

fast.t-mobile.com
Now that I write this, I seem to remember something about the AirMaster firmware not accepting a "-" in the APN.

If not, and it may be a wild shot, you could also try their data only APN:

fbb.home
sjura10

Post by sjura10 »

JimHelms wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:53 am

fast.t-mobile.com
Now that I write this, I seem to remember something about the AirMaster firmware not accepting a "-" in the APN.

If not, and it may be a wild shot, you could also try their data only APN:

fbb.home
Couldn’t we just create a domain mask/redirect on our own personal domain and have it forward to fast.t-mobile.com APN then enter our own URL in the APN field to avoid the hyphen. Would that work?
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

Couldn’t we just create a domain mask/redirect on our own personal domain and have it forward to fast.t-mobile.com APN then enter our own URL in the APN field to avoid the hyphen. Would that work?

Not sure how all of that would work. Never hurts to try.
sjura10

Post by sjura10 »

JimHelms wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:53 am

fast.t-mobile.com
Just wanted to update for everyone since I cannot find anyone else that has transitioned an AirMaster 4000D device to T-mobile Sim... I used Jim's advice on changing the APN as well as Didneywhorl to change APN type to IPv4 on this post. That's all that was needed for me to get everything back online.

Basically I just swapped the SIM's and by the time I screwed the plug back in it had full LED bars on the AirMaster which means its connected. Went back inside and the Admin Console for AirMaster showed everything was working and ATTACHED but no outside internet connection. I noticed on the AirMaster on the LTE -> Overview page under the Connection area it was totally blank for the IPv4 section and usually that contains the IP address. So I went to the Bearer Settings and updated the APN (previously nothing was entered on this page). Indeed Jim is right, the APN box will not accept a hyphen "-" but I just typed it in anyways and it auto removed the hyphen then I changed the IP Type to IPv4 and clicked Save & Apply. T-Mobile must have tmobile.com redirect to t-mobile.com so that is great news. Back on the LTE -> Overview page under the Connection area it now has an IP address in the IPv4 section. Tested connection and everything is good. Getting same great signal as before, about 35 Mbps down and 7-8 Mbps up. I'll upload some pics in a following post to show what the AirMaster settings are and everything. Thanks guys for pointing us in the right direction, hopefully we can get a few more years out of these AirMaster devices.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

Just wanted to update for everyone since I cannot find anyone else that has transitioned an AirMaster 4000D device to T-mobile Sim... I used Jim's advice on changing the APN as well as Didneywhorl to change APN type to IPv4 on this post. That's all that was needed for me to get everything back online.
Good stuff. Glad you got it working again.
sjura10

Post by sjura10 »

This is my setup on the AirMaster before and after swapping the T-mobile SIM card. I only changed settings on one page: LTE -> Bearer Settings, see final image.
IMG_6378.PNG
IMG_6379.PNG
IMG_6380.PNG
IMG_6381.PNG
IMG_6382.PNG
IMG_6383.PNG
IMG_6392.PNG
IMG_6393.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Questions and Support”