Questions on The Magnum 600-6500MHz Parabolic Grid 26dBi WiFi Cellular 4G 5G Directional Antenna

Topics related to wireless broadband antennas
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
Ricoch3T

Questions on The Magnum 600-6500MHz Parabolic Grid 26dBi WiFi Cellular 4G 5G Directional Antenna

Post by Ricoch3T »

Trying to tweak my setup a little bit. Have two of these things on my roof and has been working great. What I'm wondering is if they need to be turned at 45 degree like my yagis. I've seen some posts suggest that you should, others say its not needed. My signal strength is good (-100 with both), but I'm wondering if it would have an effect on quality if they are not tilted.

Also what about distance apart? Only thing I could find on the subject was that you could pretty much have the grids touching. The grids on my are close but not touching. Obviously If I have to turn them at 45 degrees from each other I'll want to have the close since they are pretty big. Plus I need room for my panel antenna or yagis for my second set of antennas.
Didneywhorl

Re: Questions on The Magnum 600-6500MHz Parabolic Grid 26dBi WiFi Cellular 4G 5G Directional Antenna

Post by Didneywhorl »

Distance on a grid I would say is pretty much as long as they aren't touching you're good. the general rule of thumb on other types is 2x the wavelength of the widest frequency. For cellular that is a max of just under 20 inches at 600 MHz (B71 is just over 600MHz at its lowest point)

As far as the turning 45 degrees, this is called antenna polarity. Typically the US cell towers are 45 degrees from the ground plane in polarity, but honestly it is one of those: "try both!" scenarios. See which works better for you.
Ricoch3T

Re: Questions on The Magnum 600-6500MHz Parabolic Grid 26dBi WiFi Cellular 4G 5G Directional Antenna

Post by Ricoch3T »

Thanks for the info
The main thing I was looking for was a little better quality and was curious if I turned them or spaced them apart a little more if it would help.

I did just what you said and tried it. I lost a little signal strength on one but I assume that was from lowering it down my pole some more to keep the edges from overlapping. Its hard to get a gauge on what helped and what didn't help as I replaced my two directional antennas with a new flat panel while I was up there. Either way, I can't complain. With the two straight and stacked together I was getting 40 to 60mb speeds with a high of 83. Turning them at 45 degrees, adding the flat panels and giving everything more spacing increased my highest speed to 102mb with roughly 2mb up. I ended up giving up some speed and moving the antennas around on the ports of my rm502 modem and I seem to be averaging 60 to 80 down and 10 to 20 up.

Return to “Cellular Antennas”