SOLVED-How to update firmware on Novatel/Verizon USB730l if not a Verizon customer

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
Hogwild

SOLVED-How to update firmware on Novatel/Verizon USB730l if not a Verizon customer

Post by Hogwild »

Hi everyone:

I recently bought a used Novatel (Verizon) USB730l dongle. I am NOT on Verizon, I'm not even in the U.S. I noticed I'm downlevel one version of firmware. If I try to click ont he firmware update function in Verizon's applet on my PC, the program tells me that I can't get a firmware update unless I'm a Verizon customer.

Is there any way around this?
Rich Hathaway

Re: How to update firmware on Novatel/Verizon USB730l if not a Verizon customer

Post by Rich Hathaway »

you can manually load that usb stick from QDL mode (9008) you will need ENPRG9x40 & NPRG9x40 to load it, use qwdirect to write with.
Hogwild

Post by Hogwild »

Thanks Rich. However, I don't really speak 4G. I see QDL is the Qualcomm Download Tool, yes? As in, this one:
https://snapcraft.io/qdl

I don't know what the other two things are that you mentioned, as they themselves didn't show up in Google search results. All I got were these:
https://github.com/forth32/qtools/blob/ ... qwdirect.c

Is this something that's going to require a lot of Linux skills, cause I can only find my way around Linux in a basic way?

Can you explain?
Rich Hathaway

Post by Rich Hathaway »

It is too much to type out, If you do not understand it I would highly suggest not attempting to load your device, one wrong move and your device will be borked.
Hogwild

Post by Hogwild »

SOLVED. I finally got this to work after calling Inseego tech. support. They were very helpful, and stepped me through it.

First, an Inseego support tech sent me the correct update file.

Then, I needed to go to the dongle's web interface page for local updates:

192.168.2.1/sideload

Once there, you can select the firmware file and do the update locally, without any Internet connection.

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”