super slow mofi4500-4gxelte v2 visible network

Topics related to MoFi branded routers
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
agatto2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

super slow mofi4500-4gxelte v2 visible network

Post by agatto2 »

Hey guys... new to all this , and trying to get remote internet.....
Saw a utubie vid that suggested the mofi router.
I used a visible and activated with the phone they gave me
basically let the router set everything up after i set the chip into it. The Internet is working just really slow . Heres some stats
The modem is getting 4 bars for signal
The wireless download speed is 500k (yup)
The lan downlad speed is 2.0 meg ?

So because i am relatively new and looking all over the place for answers , do yall have any suggestions - even if its a different router and setup. It appears this is an older router and the wifi card sucks...
Tony
crazysteve

Re: super slow mofi4500-4gxelte v2 visible network

Post by crazysteve »

I just had this issue today with my MOFI that I'm repurposing as a backup and travel wifi hotspot. It's been set on bridge / ip passthrough for years. I tried to set it up for wifi and it wouldn't connect. Pissed with it for a while and reset all the wifi parameters. I then could connect but it was slow as hell. Lan was actually worse. I did a factory reset and that didn't help the speed issues.

Finally I flashed it with new FW and that did the trick.

These MOFIs are flakey and half baked IMO. Once you get them running right you don't want to touch them again.... My experience at least.

It's been running solidily in bridge mode now for 5 years nonstop. I'll give it that.
Dr-BroadBand

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

agatto2 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:55 pm So because i am relatively new and looking all over the place for answers , do yall have any suggestions - even if its a different router and setup. It appears this is an older router and the wifi card sucks...
Tony
Very low speed means you are being throttled by the carrier
“Another user has reported that setting the MoFi to "Generic" carrier profile and the TTL to 64 has worked at high speeds”

See post for more details
viewtopic.php?t=1108
Kajin1
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Kajin1 »

I currently have Visible Wireless using the MOFI4500-4GXeLTE V2 with 2 Log Periodic line of sight antennas. Visible throttles the data to 5mbps download and 5mbps upload. Whenever I first set up my system, I was getting four bars of signal but very slow internet speeds. I did a search for cell phone towers in the area and found that there was a second verizon/visible tower, but it had slightly lower signal. I turned my directional antennas to the other Tower and ultimately have stable service and the fastest allowable speeds due to the service providers throttle. Whenever someone is in this area with Visible/Verizon service on their cell phone, their phone automatically dials into the Tower with the highest signal, but that does not always mean that it is the cleanest signal. Now that I directed to a different tower, there is hardly any traffic on that Tower and my internet runs great! I tried switching to a Panel Antenna in order to boost signal strength, which is a non-directional antenna, but it automatically dialed into the high traffic Tower with erratic speeds. So yes, it is absolutely possible to have four bars, but bad speeds. Whenever you do a speed test, if the line on the graph is choppy, it may have errors in the provisioning and simply needs to be reset, or you're getting a lot of noise vs signal (SNR). Try running a band test on each tower in your area, if more than one is available, and compare the results.

Make sure that your firmware is up to date. At one point, I had studied my signal levels, and determined that I had a bad antenna wire connector and another time led me to a bad surge suppressor.

Return to “MoFi Routers”