Recommendations for smart garage openers?

Anything related to technology, past, present and future
albert90

Recommendations for smart garage openers?

Post by albert90 »

This may be a bit off-topic from the usual postings, but people are pretty helpful here so I figured I'd be able to get a good second (or third and fourth) opinion.

I've been looking at smart garage openers for a fair while but I'm not too sure what to take under consideration - there are a lot of variables. So far I've been looking at this guide https://www.allhomerobotics.com/best-sm ... e-openers/ for potential options, but I need some help narrowing things down. Installation isn't much of an issue for me, and convenient things like smart home integration definitely sound nice.

It'd be great to hear from someone with experience in smart garage openers. Also, this is unlikely, but I am wondering if installing one of these might introduce a potential security vulnerability to my house. Is it not unheard of for these things to maybe get bypassed in some way or another?

TIA, everyone!
JimHelms
Site Admin

Re: Recommendations for smart garage openers?

Post by JimHelms »

I am working on a similar project only for a remote gate opener that I will share when completed.

I have a wireless key pad on a pedestal with a ring door bell mounted next to it. Ideally, I would like to be able to open the gate remotely with some device. The gate is a good distance (1/4 mile) from where the house will one day be located. I will have Wifi at the gate which does provide for options.

I looked at the Chamberlain myQ but discarded the ideal after speaking with a friend who installs them. According to him, they give a lot of issues.

I also considered the Access Controller Pro 2 since I already have numerous Ring cameras on the property. This is somewhat attractive since it also has the option for Amazon deliveries to open the gate and bring the packages to the house, rather than dumping them by the gate since this is a very rural/remote location where one would not necessarily want his items visible from the road. Of course, this also raises a security issue that I have not thoroughly worked through.

I also ordered the eKyro Smart Garage Door Opener to play with as it seems like a reasonable solution.
albert90

Post by albert90 »

Hey Jim thanks for the reply! I was wondering if there was any update with you on the completion of your remote gate opener, I've been procrastinating for a while now and was wondering if I should finally get around to finishing this project.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

albert90 wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:27 am Hey Jim thanks for the reply! I was wondering if there was any update with you on the completion of your remote gate opener, I've been procrastinating for a while now and was wondering if I should finally get around to finishing this project.
I have not had the time to work on the project and the weather has been less than accommodating.

I will keep you updated when I get to that point. Let me know also what you figure out.
albert90

Post by albert90 »

I completely understand, I'll be sure to keep you posted.

Return to “Technology”