Quectel heat sink information

Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
user232

Quectel heat sink information

Post by user232 »

I was curious about heat sinking the EM12-G as well as how heat transfer pads work in the event that the main board below the modem module doesn't have an exposed copper ground pad. Quectel forums helped answer all the questions and also shared their Quectel_LTE_Module_Thermal_Design_Guide_V1.0.pdf document at the following link: https://forums.quectel.com/t/em12-g-heat-sink/8393/2

Based on the answer from quectel technician, placing a sink on top of the shield does have a heat dissipating effect on the em12-G like it does the EM160. However, placing a heat transfer pad on the bottom of the modem module does NOT help if the surface the other end of the pad doesn't have an exposed copper plane or other metal surface. For example, using the pad and placing it onto the fiberglass of a board will make things worse.

---------------------------

Anyone know if there is a way to have a ribbon connector from the connector slot so that the module can be moved elsewhere? I'm considering mounting the modem away from the board and fabricating a holder so I can mount an actual heatsink onto the bottom of the module. Will update if I find anything out.

Return to “Quectel Modems”