Affordable Low-loss Coax cable type for outdoor antenna!

Questions and Support related to Antennas & Cables
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related issues PRIOR to posting for assistance.
KingGGs

Affordable Low-loss Coax cable type for outdoor antenna!

Post by KingGGs »

So I got myself T-mobile and AT&T LTE internet and want to increase speeds to my internet with outdoor antennas.

So I just got 2 of these 8dBi Wilson Directional Antennas and 2 of these Baosity 25DBI High Gain Yagi Antennas.

And need to ask you guys what type of coax cables you guys have setup for your outdoor antenna setup that is not ultra expensive and wont have huge loss on my signal.

I have heard from others that use RG6 RG11 or LMR400 cables, but RG6 is the only one I see on ebay and is affordable otherwise LMR 400 is around $500 for my use case.

Let me know which one is should get?
MattB29

Re: Affordable Low-loss Coax cable type for outdoor antenna!

Post by MattB29 »

Your antenna choices likely will require several adapters as one uses N connectors and the other uses RP-SMA. For cable you need 50 ohm rated. On the low loss side that means LMR-100 up to LMR- 600. On standard cable types that would be RG-58. You can google loss per foot.

If your use case is such a long distance that LMR-400 is $500 dollars I would suggest you move the internet device closer to the antennas and run a POE setup. Ethernet cable can run long distances much more cheaply with no loss.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

How long are these runs?
KingGGs

Post by KingGGs »

gscheb wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:07 pm How long are these runs?
will be from roof to media enclosure panel which is likely around 20-25 ft
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/cable ... traight-2/

Could also order lengths of lmr 400
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

LMR400 is your best bet there. With cabling you get what you pay for really, usually at least.

In most cases the most cost effective for longer runs of 4 antenna systems is to move the modem out with the antennas, eliminating the long RF cable run.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Have installed this both ways. There is pros and cons on both installs. If you think you are going to set it up and forget it, the modem outside enclosure can be great. But if you are going to be tweaking it and trying this and that upgrading hardware and stuff modem indoors with wire lengths is the way to go. Or going to have to climb to heights outdoors every time you want to change something.

If you use the right cables don't loos much. Here is a link for the data loss calculator.
https://www.timesmicrowave.com/Calculat ... uency=1900
mtl26637

Post by mtl26637 »

In regards to your antennas, the wilsons are good, the Baosity not so much. Its a wifi antenna with RP-SMA connectors rather than an LTE antenna with SMA connectors. I highly doubt that it hits 25DBI gain either. Plus it is designed to cover the wifi spectrum and you need it to cover the LTE spectrum. It may work but if your gonna be throwing money into your setup, I'd look elsewhere or it may be all for nothing.
Adm1jtg

Post by Adm1jtg »

I use three of those wilson antennas (2 for data in mimo and one for phone on a booster system). I have them all connected with lmr400 wilson cable. I really dont think you could do better and saving a few pennies on cabling just isnt worth it. With cheaper cabling even at 25' you could lose almost half your signal before it even gets to the router.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

Note that the Wilson antennas cover the 700-2700 MHz range, which excludes the 600MHz necessary for Band 71 and bands above the 2700MHz

Compare them to THESE or to THESE.
KingGGs

Post by KingGGs »

Adm1jtg wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:39 pm I use three of those wilson antennas (2 for data in mimo and one for phone on a booster system). I have them all connected with lmr400 wilson cable. I really dont think you could do better and saving a few pennies on cabling just isnt worth it. With cheaper cabling even at 25' you could lose almost half your signal before it even gets to the router.
Agreed,
I just tested the T-Mobile's 5G Gateway and with the antenna's cabling the speeds were improved 10 folds.
It went from 30 mbps indoor to 300 MBPS in speeds, so i will be using LMR400 cable.
KingGGs

Post by KingGGs »

Update: I finally understand and I went with 2 30ft LMR400 from times microwave cables.

Return to “Questions and Support”