TTL for Verizon (tablet sim) hotspot detection

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
RockyinNM

TTL for Verizon (tablet sim) hotspot detection

Post by RockyinNM »

Hello,
I'm running a WE826-T2-7455 modem--it is flashed with-- LuCI openwrt-18.06 branch (git-18.228.31946-f64b152) / GoldenOrb_2018-11-03 ( OpenWrt 18.06.1 )
I DID NOT BUILD THIS MYSELF__disclaimer!!

That said, I'm running a couple different (Verizon) sims--I is unlimited data (prepaid) side--NO problems there, but a bit pricey--
The other, that I would like to dial in is a (tablet) sim on the (postpaid) side)---BUT it is limited to 15 gbs, as a HOTSPOT.
Has anyone had any success with Verizon, being able to mask there hotspot use--I have tried custom TTL settings so far of (65-64)--no luck yet!
I'm open to any thoughts/tips--Rocky

PS When using the tablet sim, in (router) it still shows up as a tablet on the Verizon post-paid site--when using a different device on the postpaid side--it will show the modem being used-sierra 7455.
JimHelms
Site Admin

Re: TTL for Verizon (tablet sim) hotspot detection

Post by JimHelms »

You might try changing the TTL to 117. It is not included in the drop down selection so you will need to add the rules manually.

Go to NETWORK > FIREWALL > CUSTOM TTL SETTING > and enable with TTL to 65 and Save & Apply.

Next go to the CUSTOM RULE (top of page) and copy the two lines between #startTTL and #endTTL.

Then go back to the CUSTOM TTL SETTINGS and DISABLE and SAVE & APPLY.

Now go back to the CUSTOM RULES page and paste the two TTL lines you copied.

Change the 65 on both lines to 117 and RESTART FIREWALL.
RockyinNM

Post by RockyinNM »

I'm really looking forward to trying this out--I just got back in.
My page has (reset)--is that the same as (Disable)??
thanks, Rocky
Screenshot (10).png
sorry for double pic--just a newbie
RockyinNM

Post by RockyinNM »

copy and paste--I have a few questions--??

You might try changing the TTL to 117. It is not included in the drop down selection so you will need to add the rules manually.

Go to NETWORK > FIREWALL > CUSTOM TTL SETTING > and enable with TTL to 65 and Save & Apply.

Next go to the CUSTOM RULE (top of page) and copy the two lines between #startTTL and #endTTL.
(after copying--do I cut the 2 lines out--or leave them??)

Then go back to the CUSTOM TTL SETTINGS and DISABLE and SAVE & APPLY.

Now go back to the CUSTOM RULES page and paste the two TTL lines you copied.

Change the 65 on both lines to 117 and RESTART FIREWALL.

Thanks, Rocky
JimHelms
Site Admin

Post by JimHelms »

When you disable the TTL settings the lines will disappear. That is why you will need to manually place the code in the custom rules.
RockyinNM

Post by RockyinNM »

Thank you for your detailed instructions!!
I was NOT able to implement the NEW code until 2:30pm DMT--so it may take until tomorrow before I can tell if it is working.
You will be one of the first to know--
again, many thanks, Rocky

PS: working GREAT--many thanks, Rocky
apextv
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by apextv »

I have a flasher in Kansas that's been doing my jetpack/usb modem device custom firmware flashes for years.
His custom files are in his private collection and not released to the public. He just did 2 Jetpack 8800's, and I've been using a 7730L he did last year for me. I use just under 400GB's a month in my mobile office (ps4, laptop, 3 android devices), watch live 1080p video streaming all the time. He also mods the nighthawk mr1100 so they perform better on AT&T's network with carrier aggregation and bypass their network management throttles without using another device. Gets about 180Mbps down where he lives with that one.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Thats super cool apextv, can you get him to join this forum and help people out, or is that just /subtlebrag?
BillA

Post by BillA »

Didneywhorl wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:51 am Thats super cool apextv, can you get him to join this forum and help people out, or is that just /subtlebrag?

It's more of the latter. xD He's probably talking about Rich Hathaway, known about him from the old CDMA forum days (which is now dead anyway). He does some custom flashing work but all private stuff, which is really not in the open spirit of this forum.
hunter.yeagley

Post by hunter.yeagley »

BillA wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:48 pm It's more of the latter. xD He's probably talking about Rich Hathaway, known about him from the old CDMA forum days (which is now dead anyway). He does some custom flashing work but all private stuff, which is really not in the open spirit of this forum or the times. That stuff may have been of interest before OpenWRT, but now it's a moot point. Next! ;D
Is it possible to get in touch with for his services?
apextv

Post by apextv »

hunter.yeagley wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:17 am

Is it possible to get in touch with for his services?
Yea, I was referring to Rich...His services are still valid for those that are using oem devices (like the 8800L, 7730L) as he flashes custom firmware. I have a couple of clients I used his flashing services. It was $45 for the 8800L and $60 for the flash... best price for a cat18 modem I've found.
redcomet

Post by redcomet »

In what way could I contact rich? I would love to get in contact with him and his services!
mike6097

Post by mike6097 »

I have an 8800L that I would be interested in having modified TTL if I can get Rich's info please?
BillA

Post by BillA »

mike6097 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 6:11 pm I have an 8800L that I would be interested in having modified TTL if I can get Rich's info please?
http://www.mifis.us/main

Just a heads up, it's a paid service.
markahdz

Post by markahdz »

apextv wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:38 pm Yea, I was referring to Rich...His services are still valid for those that are using oem devices (like the 8800L, 7730L) as he flashes custom firmware. I have a couple of clients I used his flashing services. It was $45 for the 8800L and $60 for the flash... best price for a cat18 modem I've found.
Hi I there, so can he change the software where you can do Carrier aggregation and lock band on the 7730L ? I have one that I bought on ebay and it works great when it's using band 2 but when it changes to band 13 it gets real slow like 2-3 mbps, I'm using verizon service.

Thanks
Rich Hathaway

Post by Rich Hathaway »

Hi people of Wireless Joint,
I am Rich Hathaway.
I just made this account for one purpose which is to warn people here about some idiots that are scamming people that have been reading this and other threads about kernel patching to achieve a static value for time to live in their hotspots and other devices.
I said that to say this, recently I have been getting some emails and chats from clients who are being and have been scammed, I am not trying to hijack this thread but feel this should be in this thread to keep good people from
being ripped off, someone sent me this email shortly ago, I will paste it below, it speaks for itself.
I x'd out his name as I did not tell him I was going to post his email.

"

XXXX XXX
2:28 PM (21 minutes ago)
to customersupport

Hey Rich,

Wanted to give you a heads up. Some guy named Josh Goins has been scamming people under the name Josh Goins and then recently Peter Parker. He was accepting money to set ttl or imei on Inseego/Novatel hotspots and then not doing it. He says he knows you and even offered to sell the software you use. He said you, him and 2 other people developed it.
I paid him to set ttl on a M2100, 8800L and 8000 and he vanished.
Figured I'd let you know that he drops your name to make people feel more comfortable doing business with him.

rich hathaway <kcphonestores@gmail.com>
2:34 PM (15 minutes ago)
to Josh

Do you have a skype or email for him?
Just so you know, I always work alone, I have no partners or anyone else that is selling my tools, anyone who says they are
is a scammer, no one helped me or was with with me nor did I share any of my work with anyone for my
Kernel patch.
"
ttl scammer.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Rich Hathaway wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:59 pm Hi people of Wireless Joint,
I am Rich Hathaway.
Thanks for the heads up Rich.
Rich Hathaway

Post by Rich Hathaway »

HI your welcome
So many people scamming these days, beware of them.
Nice forum here, I will try to find some time to thumb thru some threads today.
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Thanks. Good deal. Feel free to add comments or new topics anytime.

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”