X55 T99W175 modem

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
mtl26637

Re: X55 T99W175 modem

Post by mtl26637 »

eskaryo wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:45 pm The user who was running 5.17 was on Kubutu I think. Good luck and sorry about the death of the laptop. I've got 2 spare HP 260 Mini G2's if you want to take one off my hands.
I really do appreciate the offer. I'm gonna try to get my lappy up and running again, it's only a couple years old and shouldn't be dead yet. Asus, no power seems to be sort of a common issue with dead mosfets so I'm gonna dive in and try to track down the issue as I was able to find the boardview and such. A bit over my head with this repair but thought I'd see how rusty my skills are and dive on in. The mini G2 does look pretty interesting for sure as at the moment I don't have any other x86 setups that can run my other T99W175 at the moment. I'll keep you posted though, thanks again!
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

Sorry for the delay in replying. Things have been crazy busy on my side and had to give up for a little while as work through a few things..

In regards for how things are going my side for a week solid it was working much better and was stable. I then renewed the pay as you go to another option and (%^*"£$"%ed....

That being said.. The newer versions were a lot better!!
I upgraded firmware to the latest HP and that is finally above the problem versions..
Linux kernel was taken up to I think 6.1.7 (looks like .12 is now there) builds were better and more fixes are in place..
I also rebuilt the MHI module and added another fix to it.. There was an issue were restarts would not always work and if there was any restart while up the modem would never come back and this fixed that all of that. Let me know if want details and will dig them out..

What can still say is ISP's each have their issues and I think there may be a bad tower some place around me..
I am still not 100% happy with Linux as it still managed to lose DNS stetting and do its own thing after some reboots and if DNS is not working its dead in the water!

I also started investigating the latest snapshots of openwrt and looks like some interesting stuff! (still no support for my router so playing with x86 64 as well.)
They are finally building in native MHI modules! I installed 5.14.9x and it was not picking up the HP so would be interested if the lenovo one worked if wanted to check it out?

Info: Version: 5.15.94-1
Package: kmod-mhi-bus
Package: kmod-mhi-net
Package: kmod-mhi-pci-generic
Package: kmod-mhi-wwan-ctrl
Package: kmod-mhi-wwan-mbim

Still trying to figure out how to recompile on openwrt..
On the other work list have another adapter on the way miniPCI to m.2 AE. The one i have has very thin cable so getting a better quality one to double check.. And going another route, instead of via miniPCI will be via m.2 M.
Also managed to find a cheap 1gig 4g modem 4x4 so want to play with that to cross check things.
Another item am looking for is reasonable prices outdoor 5g antenna as the indoor signals here are bad and have heard of some 5g systems refusing to work at 5g if they don't detect 5g compatible and either way would like ones that have good support for said frequencies.

Will keep monitoring and respond when able.
eskaryo

Post by eskaryo »

PaddyX wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:17 pm I also rebuilt the MHI module and added another fix to it.. There was an issue were restarts would not always work and if there was any restart while up the modem would never come back and this fixed that all of that. Let me know if want details and will dig them out..
I'm dealing with that problem now and would love a fixed kmodule. I'm running that snapshot openwrt I mentioned before, but the actual repo has moved kernels so I'm now on a relic. I'm being lazy about it til I see a bigger change in the kernel for the snapshot release.

What firmware rev does your modem appear to run now?
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

Am on: (this was the latest as of few weeks back. Seems like HP update every 3-6 months :(
firmware revision: T99W175.F0.1.0.0.9.GC.004
There was a thread on lenovo about problem versions and what to be above for stability..

The main change for the not recovering for restart was the following change and then compile with it..
+++ b/drivers/bus/mhi/pci_generic.c
@@ -637,7 +637,7 @@ static void mhi_pci_recovery_work(struct work_struct *work)
if (err)
goto err_try_reset;

- err = mhi_sync_power_up(mhi_cntrl);
+ err = mhi_async_power_up(mhi_cntrl);
if (err)
goto err_unprepare;

make sure to find the correct entry as there is another similar..
/* MHI bus does not power up the controller by default */
err = mhi_prepare_for_power_up(mhi_cntrl);
if (err) {
dev_err(&pdev->dev, "failed to prepare MHI controller\n");
goto err_unregister;
}

err = mhi_async_power_up(mhi_cntrl);
if (err) {
dev_err(&pdev->dev, "failed to power up MHI controller\n");
goto err_unprepare;

There was also another fix was putting in early on but not needed since. It was around longer delays for if the modem was just taking longer to boot..
with the async things got a lot better.. The only other stability issue read up about have not managed to figure out its fix.. it needs a rebuild on modemmanager.. for it they found if had both MHI and QMI active they both try to talk to the modem so confuse it.. so the fix was to hard disable one of them in modemmanager.. but didnt look into that to hard since getting this more stable..

Now main remaining issue is investigate the bad performance..
Also confirmed am on kernel 6.1.7
eskaryo

Post by eskaryo »

I don't have any development tools on my OpenWRT guest and I started going down that path but backed out, not wanting to deal with space issues installing the tools/headers/etc... what distro are you working with primarily Paddy? I'd really like to get that fix in place it would save me from a dumb script I have in place to bounce the hypervisor when the guest detects the error.

Proxmox is my hypervisor, I'm seeing now I can actually move to kernel 6.1 there. I may get creative and see what I can do with that. It'd be cool if you could run OpenWRT as an LXC container.

/edit:
Waaaaaaaa! https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/virtualization/lxc

Okey. dokey.
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

Ah and further your trying to get 5g working on its own or working at all...
This is something I have been having issues with as well..
Initial challenge was sim card not able / willing to do it. (isp claimed was 5g!) but turned out to be old old sim that did not support 5g
Got a replacement and while that allowed it to select if I had 'just 5g' is drops the connection immediately and does not re-connect.
That was with one ISP
Another ISP was happy to allow 5g in the selection but also as soon as 'just 5g' is drops the connection immediately and does not re-connect.
Just had another thought.. may go down to the other ISP and see if what they think and if there are newer type sims (just in case)

What I mentioned about compatible antenna is what I want to make sure of next as had heard of some devices not enabling 5g if they detect the antenna does not support. And the dinky ones that came with the router i would not trust to be 5g even though the router is available to get with a very expensive 5g modem.. Just a pain as many of the 5g compatible ones are not cheep!

EDIT: just got to your latest response.. Am using ubuntu linux as my main test platform.. had the same issue with openwrt were is not easy to get at compiling things.. One angle that I need to re-investigate is GIT as there are some ways of using git to import fixes.. and there are people on there that have pulled together what looks like all the fixes! This echo's the it take time and hope it will be native once day. Also would love if they got my modem supported on openwrt.
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

Ah ok got you! yea if only got openwrt then know the fun as I have been trying to figure it out as well.. The initial challenge for me was to find the kernel files that could use.. Also the mention of playing with the partition size on the x86_64 build was something I needed to fix as well! This is were having a Linux system can make life a little easier as I attached it to the Linux machine and used native tools to do it.. a bit easier when is not being booted off..

As mentioned have played and seen some ways to use git to apply patches and seen extensive works to bring the fixes together.
Example: https://lkml.org/lkml/2021/3/16/543
Think this is the same thread as one git one but not.
Have not been able to figure out how to apply it or get it to apply..

Another pain for me is on git I can see they have done the work to create openwrt for my router but it has not made its way into the open yet :(
Also half tempted to save and get a lenovo chip as well as their ID seems to have less hoops to jump through and ultimatly will be needing to have more than one router active.
eskaryo

Post by eskaryo »

I haven't been successful in connecting to any 5g service with this device, even in Windows. I do have a 600-6000mhz panel mounted and should be able to receive the signal. I'm using 32' 50ohm 5D-FB antenna cables. I suppose it's possible they aren't capable of carrying the signal or it is attenuating. Really hope that's not the case.

I'll be working on my LXC OpenWRT this week/weekend as I have time and will report back. OpenWRT running kernel 6+ mhi fixes should be great.

/edit: I posted a link earlier in the thread to an ebay listing for the lenovo module that also can support mmWave. They are up there for a very good price.
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

oh wow thanks for pointing out your link! That is an amazing price for sure! close to a 3rd of what had been looking at!
Only pain is the 60euro shipping fee so will be sending it to my US friend for re-routing.

Further antenna / cables.. Cables are not normally specific unless made that way like having added resisters and have not seen many of those ever..
The main fun with the cables is how long are they as that can be a big impact and more so depending on quality of cables/connectors!
Question would also be what is you signal strength?
In my office I get between 16-48% and am in a bit of a problem spot.. I got 2 good 4g ones and a 10m cable and mounted them above the roof and that took the signal on my old modem from about the same too 100%. I was half tempted to get another set but if spending more would rather get full 5g supporting ones..

One item would like to find for loan is a 5g phone to cross check as it is a bit of a problem not knowing if there is a basic issue on the sim/isp side or the modem side. But have read some accounts of things working fine in phones and not in modems so more likely there is on the modem side.. Tempted to make another post on their forum and ask if it has antenna detection and limited 4g if not found function..
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

Fe%^$^s
So other modem arrived. is a 4g 1k.. Fired it up on the same system and after some fiddling..
a) OS did its DNS bs so have to reconfigure the dns yet again..
b) for troubleshooting moved it to a usb connector (well is nice to have that option for sure!)
c) FCC lock! oh yea now now exactly what it is! And odd one the fix link has to be re-done after each reboot..
d) Crap signal in the office! but...
Ping was great and stable! performance was okish or at least could browse and do tests..

Then moved it to my main router to compare main sim apples for apples as at least it is supported on rooter os..
Well 10Mbps! and this on a contract that claims "Unlimited 5G Data, fastest available speed"
Other cheaper offers are caped at 10! Was then in checking the ISP:
Network type Estimated Maximum Download Estimated Maximum Upload
3G 3Mbps 0.5Mbps
4G 10Mbps 3Mbps
5G 25Mbps 5Mbps

What the!! I recall 6-7 years ago getting 110Mbps on mobile 4G+ from my local tower.. This may explain a lot as to why other phones don't have good Download.
Then the propaganda "Certain price plans will come with a maximum mobile data speed which is designed to match how you use your data. This will mean the speeds above will not apply and the maximum mobile data speed in your plan applies instead. Click here for details for maximum speed plans." Will be having a chat to them this weekend!!!!!!!!!

Next test will be go back and get it working on the m.2 so can cross compare performance there as well. It also showed me that the BS with issues and pains with modems has been going on for far too long! Will be good to see how it goes
mtl26637

Post by mtl26637 »

Couple weeks ago I had mentioned I was going to upgrade my current setup of Openwrt to the newest 6.1 kernel. After realizing that Openwrt isn't quite there yet and is beyond my ability to get it going I settled on just building the latest master branch. The really good news is that 5G seems to be working with this latest build. Its hard to confirm 100% but my speeds are up in the 300+ mbps download range which I'm pretty sure I can not get to at my location with 4G signals. Also running qmicli signal commands returns 5G cell information and such so I'm fairly confident that it is using 4G AND 5G rf signals at this point. The only problems I was having was the previously mentioned "recovering from restart" where the modem would not show up upon a restart. My previous build did not have this issue which was built around 6 months ago? Luckily if I boot using my previous build and then restart with the latest build it recognizes everything properly and has been up for several days at this point. The error code was the same error code that was mentioned earlier so I'm sure some patching to the mhi driver is needed but for now I'm going to leave it running and see how things go for awhile.

Just thought I'd share that a fresh build of Openwrt seems to have what is needed for 5G at least for the HP variant. Fyi, mmcli shows "firmware revision: T99W175.F0.1.0.0.9.GC.004" as the current firmware I'm using on the modem.
Muhannad
Been thanked: 0

Post by Muhannad »

mtl26637 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:32 am When I first started playing with this modem I started out on Ubuntu. I installed the latest version of the OS. I then built latest kernel, ModemManager, libqmi, libmbim and installed. As far as versioning, I'm not real sure what versions they were, they would have been latest around 6 months ago however.

You have to unlock/enable the modem using the built in scripts for FCC unlock in ModemManager which are located in "/usr/share/ModemManager/fccunlock.available.d". There is no script for the HP variant so you have to copy the 2 files for the lenovo version which are named "105b" and "105b:e0ab". Copy "105b" to "03f0" and copy "105b:e0ab" to "03f0:0a6c". You then have to link or copy all of the scripts located in the aforementioned directory into "/usr/lib/ModemManager/fcc-unlock.d". You might even link or copy them to "/etc/ModemManager/fcc-unlock.d" in case ModemManager is looking for them in "/etc". Once the scripts are copied restart and it should find the HP variant.

Based on the fact you have "wwan" devices, it seems everything is already finding everything correctly? Have you tried to enable the modem using "mmcli" commands? Can you access your debug logs from startup to see what all is happening with ModemManager? You could also run ModemManager in debug mode to track down where things are failing. If all else fails you might try to run the fcc-unlock scripts using "qmicli". Seems I recall that worked for me at some point. It's been around 6 months since I've used the ubuntu setup so all of this is just off memory so I could be missing some things.
WOW 300Mbps and propably 5G! Looks Great! Congratulations! Have you noticed reduction in Latency? IIRC that was a Advertised for 5G or was that just for mmWave?

This Thread seemed more matching to me...

I also thought the FCC Unlock aint my Problem (yet) seeing you Guys having the Modem recognized in ModemManager but 0% Signal with the Lock. Somewhere in this Thread i red that OpenWRT aint using stock ModemManager so i searched on github.com/openwrt/packages/ for PID 0a6c and couldn't find it As i understood from packages .ubuntu.com Latest Modemmanager is sourced directly from debian .org but i couldn't find any mention of the PID in there either. But did find the Lenovo PID e0ab but only related to the FCC unlock

Another Owner "T99W175" mentioned that he had to patch the HP VID into the ModemManager to get the HP Variant working. but im not sure if that was only for the FCC Unlock because there is also some mbim Stuff in that Code

Code: Select all

--- a/data/dispatcher-fcc-unlock/Makefile.am
+++ b/data/dispatcher-fcc-unlock/Makefile.am
@@ -21,6 +21,7 @@ install-data-hook:
     cd $(DESTDIR)$(fccunlockavailabledir); \
     chmod go-rwx *; \
     $(LN_S) -f 105b 105b:e0ab; \
+    $(LN_S) -f 105b 03f0:0a6c; \
     $(LN_S) -f 1199 03f0:4e1d; \
     $(LN_S) -f 1199 1199:9079; \
     $(LN_S) -f 1199 413c:81a3; \

--- a/data/dispatcher-fcc-unlock/Makefile.in
+++ b/data/dispatcher-fcc-unlock/Makefile.in
@@ -637,6 +637,7 @@
     cd $(DESTDIR)$(fccunlockavailabledir); \
     chmod go-rwx *; \
     $(LN_S) -f 105b 105b:e0ab; \
+    $(LN_S) -f 105b 03f0:0a6c; \
     $(LN_S) -f 1199 03f0:4e1d; \
     $(LN_S) -f 1199 1199:9079; \
     $(LN_S) -f 1199 413c:81a3; \

--- a/plugins/foxconn/mm-broadband-modem-mbim-foxconn.c
+++ b/plugins/foxconn/mm-broadband-modem-mbim-foxconn.c
@@ -106,7 +106,7 @@ foxconn_get_firmware_version_ready (QmiC
     self = g_task_get_source_object (task);
     vendor_id = mm_base_modem_get_vendor_id (MM_BASE_MODEM (self));
     product_id = mm_base_modem_get_product_id (MM_BASE_MODEM (self));
-    if (vendor_id == 0x105b || (vendor_id == 0x0489 && (product_id  == 0xe0da || product_id == 0xe0db)))
+    if (vendor_id == 0x105b || (vendor_id == 0x03f0 && product_id == 0x0a6c) || (vendor_id == 0x0489 && (product_id  == 0xe0da || product_id == 0xe0db)))
         update_settings = mm_firmware_update_settings_new (MM_MODEM_FIRMWARE_UPDATE_METHOD_MBIM_QDU);
     else {
         update_settings = mm_firmware_update_settings_new (MM_MODEM_FIRMWARE_UPDATE_METHOD_FASTBOOT |
@@ -157,7 +157,7 @@ firmware_load_update_settings (MMIfaceMo
     product_id = mm_base_modem_get_product_id (MM_BASE_MODEM (self));
     input = qmi_message_dms_foxconn_get_firmware_version_input_new ();
     /* 0x105b is the T99W175 module, T99W175/T99W265 need to compare the apps version. */
-    if (vendor_id == 0x105b || (vendor_id == 0x0489 && (product_id  == 0xe0da || product_id == 0xe0db)))
+    if (vendor_id == 0x105b || (vendor_id == 0x03f0 && product_id == 0x0a6c) || (vendor_id == 0x0489 && (product_id  == 0xe0da || product_id == 0xe0db)))
         qmi_message_dms_foxconn_get_firmware_version_input_set_version_type (
             input,
             QMI_DMS_FOXCONN_FIRMWARE_VERSION_TYPE_FIRMWARE_MCFG_APPS,

--- a/plugins/foxconn/mm-plugin-foxconn.c
+++ b/plugins/foxconn/mm-plugin-foxconn.c
@@ -92,6 +92,7 @@ mm_plugin_create (void)
     static const guint16 vendor_ids[] = {
         0x0489, /* usb vid */
         0x105b, /* pci vid */
+    0x03f0, /* HP T99W175 pci vid */
         0 };

return MM_PLUGIN (
Hopefully the Logs will lead me into the right Direction

Unfortunately i haven't been able to get ModemManager Debug Feature to work for me because sometimes MM Times out and sometimes it cant be found in the bus whatever that's supposed to mean

also will read into ModemManager menuconfig next ... Not sure yet if its a set of Commands i can apply in a shell or if its a File i can edit

and reinstall libqmi, libmbim and mm on a fresh Fedora VM (Virtualisation shouldnt cause my Problem as eskaryo Already got the Modem running with Proxmox right?)

[X ~]$ dmesg | grep mhi
[    4.400424] mhi-pci-generic 0000:00:05.0: MHI PCI device found: foxconn-sdx55
[    4.401708] mhi-pci-generic 0000:00:05.0: BAR 0: assigned [mem xxxxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxxxx 64bit]
[    4.415653] mhi-pci-generic 0000:00:05.0: using shared MSI
[    4.434576] mhi mhi0: Requested to power ON
[    4.434613] mhi mhi0: Power on setup success
[   24.783904] mhi_wwan_mbim mhi0_IP_HW0_MBIM: 100: Failed to receive START channel command completion
[   24.783948] mhi_wwan_mbim mhi0_IP_HW0_MBIM: 101: Failed to reset channel, still resetting
[   24.783967] mhi_wwan_mbim mhi0_IP_HW0_MBIM: 100: Failed to reset channel, still resetting
[   24.783985] mhi_wwan_mbim: probe of mhi0_IP_HW0_MBIM failed with error -5
[X ~]$ ls /etc/config/network
ls: cannot access '/etc/config/network': No such file or directory
[X ~]$ mmcli menuconfig
error: no actions specified
[X ~]$ mmcli -L
error: couldn't find the ModemManager process in the bus
[X ~]$ mmcli -S
[X ~]$ mmcli -V
mmcli 1.20.2
Copyright (2011 - 2022) Aleksander Morgado
License GPLv2+: GNU GPL version 2 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.html>
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.

[X ~]$ sudo mmcli -L

[X ~]$ time mmcli --report-kernel-event-auto-scan
^Ccancelling the operation...

real	15m58.979s
user	0m0.018s
sys	0m0.010s
mtl26637

Post by mtl26637 »

The HP variant is 03f0:0a6c. The very latest kernels (6.2 and up) are the only kernels that has added this VID:PID. You have to add this VID:PID to the pci_generic.c and build for it to work properly. Can't recall exactly how I did it with my ubuntu setup but for Openwrt I basically built the firmware. Once it was built successfully I went back and edited "pci_generic.c" to include the VID:PID and rebuilt. I'm sure there is an easier way or proper way to get this done, however, this is how I was able to get it working. For the unlock scripts I just copied the 105b to 03f0 and the 105b:e0ab to 03f0:0a6c. This worked for me after copying or linking the scripts as suggested on the ModemManager FCC unlock instructions. Keep in mind for anyone using Openwrt the default link command does not work the same as what is instructed on the ModemManager page. Instead I just copied the scripts to the unlock folder rather than linking them.

In regards to latency, I've noticed no difference. Latency is the same as all of my 4G modems which seems correct since I'm sure it is working in NSA mode.
eskaryo

Post by eskaryo »

mtl26637 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:51 am Just thought I'd share that a fresh build of Openwrt seems to have what is needed for 5G at least for the HP variant. Fyi, mmcli shows "firmware revision: T99W175.F0.1.0.0.9.GC.004" as the current firmware I'm using on the modem.
So which OpenWRT version are you running and what Kernel?
And heck what versions of ModemManager and other supporting modules are you using?
mtl26637

Post by mtl26637 »

Honestly I'm not real sure which versions they are. What I did was just built the latest master branch from Openwrt/github. I remember the kernel was 5.15.x however. I can check when I get home but it would be the latest supported within master branch.
mtl26637

Post by mtl26637 »

Forgot I could remote in from work. Below is a list of versions:
- OpenWrt SNAPSHOT, r22143-2a104365dc
- Linux OpenWrt 5.15.94 #0 SMP Sat Feb 25 18:57:47 2023 x86_64 GNU/Linux
- mmcli 1.20.2
- qmicli 1.32.2
- mbimcli 1.28.2

Relevant MM info:

Hardware |            manufacturer: generic
           |                   model: Snapdragon(TM) X55
           |       firmware revision: T99W175.F0.1.0.0.9.GC.004
           |          carrier config: GCF
           | carrier config revision: 0A000804
           |            h/w revision: Snapdragon(TM) X55
           |               supported: gsm-umts, lte, 5gnr
           |                 current: gsm-umts, lte, 5gnr
  -----------------------------------
  Status   |                    lock: sim-pin2
           |          unlock retries: sim-pin2 (10)
           |                   state: connected
           |             power state: on
           |             access tech: lte, 5gnr
           |          signal quality: 40% (recent)

Some signal info:

root@OpenWrt:~# qmicli -d /dev/wwan0mbim0 -p --nas-get-signal-info
[/dev/wwan0mbim0] Successfully got signal info
LTE:
        RSSI: '-75 dBm'
        RSRQ: '-15 dB'
        RSRP: '-102 dBm'
        SNR: '-0.2 dB'
5G:
        RSRP: '-91 dBm'
        SNR: '5.5 dB'
        RSRQ: '-12 dB'

root@OpenWrt:~# qmicli -d /dev/wwan0mbim0 -p --nas-get-cell-location-info
[/dev/wwan0mbim0] Successfully got cell location info
Intrafrequency LTE Info
        UE In Idle: 'no'
        PLMN: '310026'
        Tracking Area Code: '#####'
        Global Cell ID: '########'
        EUTRA Absolute RF Channel Number: '1026' (E-UTRA band 2: 1900 PCS)
        Serving Cell ID: '195'
        Cell [0]:
                Physical Cell ID: '195'
                RSRQ: '-15.0' dB
                RSRP: '-102.1' dBm
                RSSI: '-72.1' dBm
        Cell [1]:
                Physical Cell ID: '12'
                RSRQ: '-14.5' dB
                RSRP: '-104.3' dBm
                RSSI: '-79.3' dBm
        Cell [2]:
                Physical Cell ID: '256'
                RSRQ: '-10.7' dB
                RSRP: '-101.3' dBm
                RSSI: '-79.3' dBm
Interfrequency LTE Info
LTE Info Neighboring GSM
LTE Info Neighboring WCDMA
LTE Timing Advance: '102' us
5GNR ARFCN: '520110'

and yes, my signal strength sucks I know :(
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

mtl26637 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:51 am Couple weeks ago I had mentioned I was going to upgrade my current setup of Openwrt to the newest 6.1 kernel. After realizing that Openwrt isn't quite there yet and is beyond my ability to get it going I settled on just building the latest master branch. The really good news is that 5G seems to be working with this latest build. Its hard to confirm 100% but my speeds are up in the 300+ mbps download range which I'm pretty sure I can not get to at my location with 4G signals. Also running qmicli signal commands returns 5G cell information and such so I'm fairly confident that it is using 4G AND 5G rf signals at this point. The only problems I was having was the previously mentioned "recovering from restart" where the modem would not show up upon a restart. My previous build did not have this issue which was built around 6 months ago? Luckily if I boot using my previous build and then restart with the latest build it recognizes everything properly and has been up for several days at this point. The error code was the same error code that was mentioned earlier so I'm sure some patching to the mhi driver is needed but for now I'm going to leave it running and see how things go for awhile.

Just thought I'd share that a fresh build of Openwrt seems to have what is needed for 5G at least for the HP variant. Fyi, mmcli shows "firmware revision: T99W175.F0.1.0.0.9.GC.004" as the current firmware I'm using on the modem.
Oooo my word that is fab performance and news!!!!! 300!! that's incredible! Has seen new mhi modules in the in the new versions..
When you say building in the latest branch do you mean installing it or are you making mods before the install?

I got a 2nd disk up so with quick plug can move between ubuntu and openwrt. Will check and grab the latest openwrt and give it a bash!
mtl26637

Post by mtl26637 »

PaddyX wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:21 pm When you say building in the latest branch do you mean installing it or are you making mods before the install?
I'm not using prebuilt snapshots, however, they may work with the Lenovo versions I do not know. For the HP you have to add the VID:PID and then build the driver.

I start from scratch and git pull the master branch and build the latest firmware, I then jump back in 'pci_generic.c' after a successful build and add the HP VID:PID and rebuild the firmware so it has support for the HP version.
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

AHHH Git! realy need to master using it for building! Thanks will look into it! Have another reason to look into it in that my other router is not supported but the work has been dont to get it working but months and months later it has not made it into the wild!
mtl26637

Post by mtl26637 »

Can be a large learning curve if not familiar with linux, but fun to learn along the way. There are several build tutorials out there to use. I'd start with the main openwrt build tutorial and go from there. I'm no expert but if you run into trouble or have issues just let us know and I'll try to help best I can.
eskaryo

Post by eskaryo »

Just moved to SNAPSHOT (r22241-acb189179c)

uname -a
Linux OpenWrt 5.15.98 #0 SMP Mon Mar 6 23:12:02 2023 x86_64 GNU/Linux

firmware revision: T99W175.F0.1.0.0.9.AT.009
Still no 5g :(

mmcli -m 0 --set-preferred-mode='5g' --set-allowed-modes='4g|5g'
error: couldn't set current modes: 'GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.Error.Core.Failed: reloaded modes (allowed '4g, 5g' and preferred '5g') different to the requested ones (allowed '4g, 5g' and preferred '4g')'

qmicli -d /dev/wwan0mbim0 -p --nas-get-signal-info
LTE:
        RSSI: '-52 dBm'
        RSRQ: '-12 dB'
        RSRP: '-84 dBm'
        SNR: '14.0 dB'
5G:
        RSRP: 'n/a'
        SNR: 'n/a'
        RSRQ: 'n/a'

Modes    |               supported: allowed: 3g; preferred: none
           |                          allowed: 4g; preferred: none
           |                          allowed: 3g, 4g; preferred: 4g
           |                          allowed: 3g, 4g; preferred: 3g
           |                          allowed: 5g; preferred: none
           |                          allowed: 4g, 5g; preferred: 5g
           |                          allowed: 4g, 5g; preferred: 4g
           |                          allowed: 3g, 5g; preferred: 5g
           |                          allowed: 3g, 5g; preferred: 3g
           |                          allowed: 3g, 4g, 5g; preferred: 5g
           |                          allowed: 3g, 4g, 5g; preferred: 4g
           |                          allowed: 3g, 4g, 5g; preferred: 3g
           |                 current: allowed: 4g, 5g; preferred: 4g
  -----------------------------------
  Bands    |               supported: utran-1, utran-3, utran-4, utran-6, utran-5, utran-8,
           |                          utran-9, utran-2, eutran-1, eutran-2, eutran-3, eutran-4, eutran-5,
           |                          eutran-7, eutran-8, eutran-12, eutran-13, eutran-14, eutran-17,
           |                          eutran-18, eutran-19, eutran-20, eutran-25, eutran-26, eutran-28,
           |                          eutran-29, eutran-30, eutran-32, eutran-34, eutran-38, eutran-39,
           |                          eutran-40, eutran-41, eutran-42, eutran-46, eutran-48, eutran-66,
           |                          eutran-71, utran-19, ngran-1, ngran-2, ngran-3, ngran-5, ngran-7,
           |                          ngran-8, ngran-12, ngran-20, ngran-25, ngran-28, ngran-38, ngran-40,
           |                          ngran-41, ngran-48, ngran-66, ngran-71, ngran-77, ngran-78, ngran-79,
           |                          ngran-260, ngran-261
           |                 current: utran-1, utran-3, utran-4, utran-6, utran-5, utran-8,
           |                          utran-9, utran-2, eutran-1, eutran-2, eutran-3, eutran-4, eutran-5,
           |                          eutran-7, eutran-8, eutran-12, eutran-13, eutran-14, eutran-17,
           |                          eutran-18, eutran-19, eutran-20, eutran-25, eutran-26, eutran-28,
           |                          eutran-29, eutran-30, eutran-32, eutran-34, eutran-38, eutran-39,
           |                          eutran-40, eutran-41, eutran-42, eutran-46, eutran-48, eutran-66,
           |                          eutran-71, utran-19, ngran-1, ngran-2, ngran-3, ngran-5, ngran-7,
           |                          ngran-8, ngran-12, ngran-20, ngran-28, ngran-38, ngran-41, ngran-66,
           |                          ngran-71, ngran-77, ngran-78, ngran-79
Could this be due to the carrier config? Can I override?

carrier config: ATT2
mtl26637

Post by mtl26637 »

Ah yes, I meant to mention, I tried to set to 'preferred 5G' and that was a no go. I do believe it is working in NSA mode (4G control, 5G during large download) though. It does let me pull 5G signal strengths and 5G cell info too. 5G SA mode is actually worse in my area than NSA so Id rather have it working with 4G being the control bands. Not even sure SA mode is available honestly, I would be missing out on the lower latency of SA mode if it does exist but not too big of an issue as my latency is around 30ms compared to what about 5-10ms in a working SA mode?

What does mmcli give you as far as access tech? Noticed mine was reading lte, 5gnr under status. Also on your qmicli command when setting modes, you might specify the allowed modes before the preferred mode? Seems I recall reading you have to set the allowed modes first but I could be wrong. Worth a shot anyway. Do you happen to know which 5G bands are available to you and what signal strengths they would approximately be? Is it possible your 5G signal is too weak in your location and it is not letting you use 5G bands?
eskaryo

Post by eskaryo »

Just got off the phone with the carrier. I gave them the IMEI for my damaged module (which they like) and magic'd over to it. They also say they made sure 5g is enabled for me... Still no 5g.

qmicli -d /dev/wwan0mbim0 -p --nas-get-signal-info
LTE:
        RSSI: '-37 dBm'
        RSRQ: '-9 dB'
        RSRP: '-62 dBm'
        SNR: '22.6 dB'
5G:
        RSRP: 'n/a'
        SNR: 'n/a'
        RSRQ: 'n/a'

Hardware |            manufacturer: foxconn
           |                   model: Qualcomm Snapdragon X55 5G
           |       firmware revision: T99W175.F0.1.0.0.9.AT.009
           |          carrier config: ATT2
           | carrier config revision: 0A005309
           |            h/w revision: Qualcomm Snapdragon X55 5G
           |               supported: gsm-umts, lte, 5gnr
           |                 current: gsm-umts, lte, 5gnr

Status   |                    lock: sim-pin2
           |          unlock retries: sim-pin2 (3)
           |                   state: connected
           |             power state: on
           |             access tech: lte
           |          signal quality: 80% (recent)
/edit: oh hey yes I'm certain I have usable 5g bands here, I can get 5g on my Pixel 6/7 here
eskaryo

Post by eskaryo »

Lenovo released an updated Driver package that I'm assuming also has a new FW. Package name nz7wn08w dated 2/27/2023. Just loaded it.

At this point I've got my T77W968 as the primary connectivity provider and I have the T99W175 in a Windows VM and I'm just trying to poke around at it. I had hoped to smack at it a bit with QPST/EFS but it's not presenting com ports at the moment and I'm about out of time for today.

The modem in Windows shows 'Data class: UMTS, HSDPA, HSUPA, LTE, 5G-NSA, 5G' so it continues to be recognized as 5g capable. The network scan shows networks with LTE, 3G available but shows no network with 5g

Firmware in Windows shows same as before - T99W175.F0.1.0.0.9.AT.009 079
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

eskaryo wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:46 pm /edit: oh hey yes I'm certain I have usable 5g bands here, I can get 5g on my Pixel 6/7 here
Good to hear! And an advantage of having a 5g phone handy! Does mean there is deff extra fun with 5g modems!!

Interesting one on my side.. Still working on next round of 5g testing but..
On the 4k 1k modem: The pain expressed the other day of only getting 10Mbps... well after trying to free up the system for testing and giving up and putting it all back together the same as are using as main internet... well suddenly was getting 50Mbps.. Not sure what changed or if there is something changed on the network..
Trying another round of freeing it up so can test again!
eskaryo

Post by eskaryo »

PaddyX wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:39 pm
eskaryo wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:46 pm /edit: oh hey yes I'm certain I have usable 5g bands here, I can get 5g on my Pixel 6/7 here
Good to hear! And an advantage of having a 5g phone handy! Does mean there is deff extra fun with 5g modems!!

Story time!

I popped my data SIM into my phone and got a 5Ge indicator. Hell yeah. Did a speed test, about equal to what I get on my router.

Thought critically for a moment - What actually is 5Ge?

https://www.lifewire.com/5ge-vs-5g-5077767

Apparently It's re-marketed 4G LTE-A. So, no, I don't have 5G after all.

Thanks AT&T! Love ya!

I guess now I need to patch up my drivers so I don't run into power-on issues with the T99W175 when it boots and just wait for actual 5G. Well, at least I'm at peace with my side of the demarc finally.

/edit: @PaddyX I see you did this patch once, any chance you've got a simple guide to accomplish the same on OpenWRT or perhaps a built module I can download and just place
mtl26637

Post by mtl26637 »

Uh ya, ATT 5G is pretty much a joke. Even in areas that have actual "5G" bands it usually is nothing more than 5Mhz wide (at least everywhere I've seen). Just enough to light up the 5G icon on your phone.

What about Tmo? Their coverage is absolutely terrible in my area but luckily they do have 1 tower about 3-4 miles away and they have best 5G service overall IMO. The tower near me has n41 (100mhz wide) and n71 (20mhz wid) active. That n41 band REALLY opens up the door for download speeds.
Hopefully ATT and VZW pick up their game this year and finally expand their 5G coverage areas.
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

eskaryo wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:26 pm ......

/edit: @PaddyX I see you did this patch once, any chance you've got a simple guide to accomplish the same on OpenWRT or perhaps a built module I can download and just place
AH that is a fun store :) actually for troubleshooting got a PCIE to M.2 M-Key :) combined with my M.2 B-key to pcie.. and plugged it onto my windows motherboard.. firmware installed as part of the driver install... So somehow the firmware is imbedded in the driver set..

That being said. I got a good look under the hood when trying to upgrade the 4G 1K! That was a royal pain in the ass! it has a pair of .fls files and a separate application for flashing..

Also what I spotted in my progress was in OPENWRT there is a mod for flashing firmware.. check the software list. Not tried it yet or checked if are others..

1st would recommend breaking down the driver and checking all the files!
Then check out the flashing options.. Think Lenovo was friendlier for linux options.. Will try to download what you mentioned and have a look at it as well.
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

mtl26637 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:10 pm Uh ya, ATT 5G is pretty much a joke. Even in areas that have actual "5G" bands it usually is nothing more than 5Mhz wide (at least everywhere I've seen). Just enough to light up the 5G icon on your phone.

What about Tmo? Their coverage is absolutely terrible in my area but luckily they do have 1 tower about 3-4 miles away and they have best 5G service overall IMO. The tower near me has n41 (100mhz wide) and n71 (20mhz wid) active. That n41 band REALLY opens up the door for download speeds.
Hopefully ATT and VZW pick up their game this year and finally expand their 5G coverage areas.
hehe actually being a bit further away may be better! There look to be more longer distance direction 5g options out there.. like
https://www.amazon.com/Periodic-Externa ... B09VVWMS2F
That also allows you to focus on a particular tower..

Interesting on the "The tower near me has n41 (100mhz wide) and n71 (20mhz wid) active. That n41 band REALLY opens up the door for download speeds. " Had seen particular ones on the old set with wildly differing performance as well! Pain were i am at they have 1 5g channel and 2 4g ones so options are slim :(
eskaryo

Post by eskaryo »

I had hoped to bring TMo over from my previous home but even with an external array no signal was detected.

I've got a friend from Canada who uses Telus, he achieved over 100mbps on the tower near me. I need to see what voodoo is at hand there. Maybe I can just write different CA combos or something.

I've used the big 3 US carriers out here, without question AT&T has the best service at the present moment and my 3gpp scans don't show me any other opportunities I haven't already tried... So - I'm just hunkering down for now it seems.
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

Ahh tried to grab the lenovo driver and had the same challenge as before.. it wants a lenovo serial number.. how do you get past that or do you use the one on the modem?
mtl26637

Post by mtl26637 »

First click of the download button results in a box that pops up and wants a serial number. LOL, I clicked the "download" button a second time and it started the download.
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

mtl26637 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:52 pm First click of the download button results in a box that pops up and wants a serial number. LOL, I clicked the "download" button a second time and it started the download.
oh my :) lol didnt think to do that!
So 1st pass on looking through the file.. could not see it easily.
There is a log file created for the install process but I dont have the modem so was not able to see any info on firmware install.
Need to find someone with it on a windows box and get them to install or check the folder from there last install for: log.txt

Will take another look over the HP install process today and see if can spot anything.. Unfortunately I have the latest HP one in place so it may skip it..
Half tempted to see what the Lenono process would think of the HP modem but would rather not break things..
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

Woooooot! Significant step forward! I hope!
Managed to free up the gear so could test further and after pain with the one sim yanked the one from my phone on that is probably the best network here.. well initial ping was great and performance was ok. (a that is after fixing the DNS yet again!)
Reboot and all hell breaks loose!!!!!

In testing tried got to point of disabling the modem and still the lag was there and bad!
nslookup was okish but slow for ip4 dns but then would take ages to get the ip6.. long story short..

Tried to enable dns caching and one of the step called for disabling systemd-resolved
:) after that naturally DNS was gone..

Deleted the linked resolf.conf and created a new file and populated......
Dang! ping is now better than ever!

Will test a few more reboots and have one last item need to get sorted if can get that then all reboot issues will be out the way and will try for moving to main router/antenna (areal points would be 1+2 too external pair and 3-4 to remote internal pair in a good spot)
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

Ok still some gremlins in the works but getting better..
The 2nd issue of making sure wwan is always default route is now stable..

The 1st issue.. Well while when is good is still lot better since the dns stuff was fixed! But
Restart/Reboots Seems when the system/modem starts its a 50/50 things will not be happy.
Also best to used shutdown -now as other reboot options are less likly to be ok..
This last reboot things were slow.. Firmware crashed after about 5 min and once firmware reloaded performance was great!

Looking through the logs looks like the driver signing didn't work properly so may need to re-build the MHI side again..
Slowly getting better.. Would love to know what firmware version was in that latest lenovo driver!
Muhannad

Post by Muhannad »

Am trying to use the lt4120 with the 6.2 Kernel with fedora 37 VM

bash-5.2# uname -r
6.2.2-300.fc37.x86_64
mmcli 1.20.2
qmicli 1.32.2
mbimcli 1.28.2
bash-5.2# lspci | grep Wireless
00:05.0 Wireless controller [0d40]: Device 03f0:0a6c
bash-5.2# ls /dev | grep wwan
wwan0at0
wwan0at1
wwan0mbim0
wwan0qcdm0
but mmcli and qmicli put out errors. Cant even get ModemManager Debug mode to start as long as the Device is connected.

bash-5.2# mmcli -G DEBUG
error: couldn't set logging level: 'Timeout was reached'
bash-5.2# qmicli -d /dev/wwan0mbim0 -w
error: couldn't open the QmiDevice: Cannot open device file '/dev/wwan0mbim0': Input/output error
i do remember eskaryo using proxmox. Did you have to pass through additional devices or do anything else special to get the modem running within a container?

My plan was to make a pull request for ModemManager 1.21.x to support fcc unlock for the HP pid out of the box but now im kinda stuck
bash-5.2# journalctl | grep mhi
Mar 11 00:23:54 fedora kernel: mhi-pci-generic 0000:00:05.0: MHI PCI device found: foxconn-sdx55
Mar 11 00:23:54 fedora kernel: mhi-pci-generic 0000:00:05.0: BAR 0: assigned [mem 0xf2000000-0xf2000fff 64bit]
Mar 11 00:23:54 fedora kernel: mhi-pci-generic 0000:00:05.0: using shared MSI
Mar 11 00:23:54 fedora kernel: mhi mhi0: Requested to power ON
Mar 11 00:24:14 muhannad kernel: mhi mhi0: Failed to reset MHI due to syserr state
Mar 11 00:24:14 muhannad kernel: mhi-pci-generic 0000:00:05.0: failed to power up MHI controller
Mar 11 00:24:14 muhannad kernel: mhi-pci-generic: probe of 0000:00:05.0 failed with error -110
Quick Websearch led me to another T99W175 user fixing this by increasing the "MHI_POST_RESET_DELAY_MS equals to 2000ms" now i have to find out how the hell i am doing this the easiest way for troubleshooting

Has anyone of you ever get into an error like this?
Muhannad

Post by Muhannad »

bash-5.2# /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:00:05.0/reset
bash: /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:00:05.0/reset: No such file or directory
bash-5.2# echo 1 >/sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:00:05.0/remove
bash-5.2# echo 1 >/sys/bus/pci/rescan
Mar 11 00:24:14 muhannad kernel: mhi-pci-generic: probe of 0000:00:05.0 failed with error -110
Mar 11 01:00:18 muhannad kernel: mhi-pci-generic 0000:00:05.0: MHI PCI device found: foxconn-sdx55
Mar 11 01:00:18 muhannad kernel: mhi-pci-generic 0000:00:05.0: BAR 0: assigned [mem 0xf2000000-0xf2000fff 64bit]
Mar 11 01:00:18 muhannad kernel: mhi-pci-generic 0000:00:05.0: using shared MSI
Mar 11 01:00:18 muhannad kernel: mhi mhi0: Requested to power ON
Mar 11 01:00:40 muhannad kernel: mhi mhi0: Failed to reset MHI due to syserr state
Mar 11 01:00:40 muhannad kernel: mhi-pci-generic 0000:00:05.0: failed to power up MHI controller
Mar 11 01:00:40 muhannad kernel: mhi-pci-generic: probe of 0000:00:05.0 failed with error -110
Lokks like

-#define MHI_POST_RESET_DELAY_MS 500
+#define MHI_POST_RESET_DELAY_MS 2000

aint my Problem AFAIK the fix already made it into [url=
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/ke ... acb7419d8a]5.16[/url]
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

Have see a couple of fail to start issues.. I used the - 5000 timeout in the early testing but not since.

The biggest improvement I had was:
if (err)
goto err_try_reset;

if (err)
goto err_unprepare;

This turned from fail to start on the reboot too starts every time on reboot.. Previous to this I had to hard power power the system every time!

There was another fix as well I need to sort out for stability. It is around modemmanager where it connects with all available protocols so if have mbim and QMI then it will use both. The modem gets into a state due to both protocols active. Cant Find the details at the moment. I found details of in on lenovo site were they had figured it out and fixed it.

EDIT: Working on a list of all these nigly things as have seen all to often small things can have far reaching impacts so good to get them addressed!
A current need is also to find a command line on how to force MM to reload its drivers for full modem restart while system is up..
Muhannad

Post by Muhannad »

Thank you! i remember reading about something where QMI and MBIM where blocking each other or something like that.. ill also take a look for that Link. I tried every way that got into my mind starting that Modem, Soft Reset, Hard Reset Cold Start. Never got it recognized by ModemManager. Was really hoping i could get around compiling the Kernel by Myself now where 6.2 is already available... Isn't there any way to test this with a command or config file or whatnot? I have tried the async command in ModemManager but that's something different than doing it on the Driver Level i guess

echo 1 >/sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:00:05.0/remove
echo 1 >/sys/bus/pci/rescan

propably aint what you where looking for restarting the modem?

Making a list sounds like a great idea! IMO it would be nice to post the fixes like:
if (err)
goto err_try_reset;

if (err)
goto err_unprepare;
at the Github Page of the mhi Driver as a Commit or whatever.. you have already done all the Work testing and posting the patched Code so lets share it with the Developers? https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/ ... _generic.c is this the right link?

Fedora is doing a TestWeek of the new 6.2 Kernel till Thursday, i will propose your fixes to them and see what they say if that's okey with you?

Will try to figure our how to compile that Kernel for the next 6 hours to 6 years :?

Got a Error i never seen before after a fresh install of fedora 37 with 6.2.3 Kernel " mhi_wwan_mbim: probe of mhi0_IP_HW0_MBIM failed with error -5"
bash-5.2# dmesg | grep mhi
[ 4.012104] mhi-pci-generic 0000:00:05.0: MHI PCI device found: foxconn-sdx55
[ 4.013219] mhi-pci-generic 0000:00:05.0: BAR 0: assigned [mem 0xf2000000-0xf2000fff 64bit]
[ 4.024154] mhi-pci-generic 0000:00:05.0: using shared MSI
[ 4.045766] mhi mhi0: Requested to power ON
[ 4.045801] mhi mhi0: Power on setup success
bash-5.2# lspci | grep wireless
bash-5.2# lspci | grep Wireless
00:05.0 Wireless controller [0d40]: Device 03f0:0a6c
Mar 11 09:58:11 fedora kernel: mhi-pci-generic 0000:00:05.0: MHI PCI device found: foxconn-sdx55
Mar 11 09:58:11 fedora kernel: mhi-pci-generic 0000:00:05.0: BAR 0: assigned [mem 0xf2000000-0xf2000fff 64bit]
Mar 11 09:58:11 fedora kernel: mhi-pci-generic 0000:00:05.0: using shared MSI
Mar 11 09:58:11 fedora kernel: mhi mhi0: Requested to power ON
Mar 11 09:58:11 fedora kernel: mhi mhi0: Power on setup success
Mar 11 09:58:31 muhannad kernel: mhi_wwan_mbim mhi0_IP_HW0_MBIM: 100: Failed to receive START channel command completion
Mar 11 09:58:31 muhannad kernel: mhi_wwan_mbim mhi0_IP_HW0_MBIM: 101: Failed to reset channel, still resetting
Mar 11 09:58:31 muhannad kernel: mhi_wwan_mbim mhi0_IP_HW0_MBIM: 100: Failed to reset channel, still resetting
Mar 11 09:58:31 muhannad kernel: mhi_wwan_mbim: probe of mhi0_IP_HW0_MBIM failed with error -5
Mar 11 09:58:33 muhannad kernel: mhi_wwan_ctrl mhi0_DUN2: 92: Failed to receive START channel command completion
Mar 11 09:58:54 muhannad kernel: mhi_wwan_ctrl mhi0_DUN: 32: Failed to receive START channel command completion
bash-5.2# mmcli -V
mmcli 1.20.2
Copyright (2011 - 2022) Aleksander Morgado
License GPLv2+: GNU GPL version 2 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.html>
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.

bash-5.2# mmcli -S
error: couldn't request to scan devices: 'Timeout was reached'
bash-5.2# mmcli -S
successfully requested to scan devices
bash-5.2# mmcli -L
error: couldn't create manager: Timeout was reached
bash-5.2# mmcli -L
error: couldn't create manager: Timeout was reached
bash-5.2# dmesg | grep mhi
[ 4.012104] mhi-pci-generic 0000:00:05.0: MHI PCI device found: foxconn-sdx55
[ 4.013219] mhi-pci-generic 0000:00:05.0: BAR 0: assigned [mem 0xf2000000-0xf2000fff 64bit]
[ 4.024154] mhi-pci-generic 0000:00:05.0: using shared MSI
[ 4.045766] mhi mhi0: Requested to power ON
[ 4.045801] mhi mhi0: Power on setup success
[ 24.216910] mhi_wwan_mbim mhi0_IP_HW0_MBIM: 100: Failed to receive START channel command completion
[ 24.216998] mhi_wwan_mbim mhi0_IP_HW0_MBIM: 101: Failed to reset channel, still resetting
[ 24.217035] mhi_wwan_mbim mhi0_IP_HW0_MBIM: 100: Failed to reset channel, still resetting
[ 24.217082] mhi_wwan_mbim: probe of mhi0_IP_HW0_MBIM failed with error -5
[ 26.777091] mhi_wwan_ctrl mhi0_DUN2: 92: Failed to receive START channel command completion
[ 47.257021] mhi_wwan_ctrl mhi0_DUN: 32: Failed to receive START channel command completion
[ 67.737111] mhi_wwan_ctrl mhi0_DIAG: 4: Failed to receive START channel command completion
[ 88.217023] mhi_wwan_ctrl mhi0_DUN2: 92: Failed to receive START channel command completion
[ 108.697096] mhi_wwan_ctrl mhi0_DUN: 32: Failed to receive START channel command completion
[ 129.177097] mhi_wwan_ctrl mhi0_DUN2: 92: Failed to receive START channel command completion
[ 129.177202] mhi_wwan_ctrl mhi0_MBIM: 12: Failed to receive START channel command completion
[ 149.657103] mhi_wwan_ctrl mhi0_DUN: 32: Failed to receive START channel command completion
[ 170.137051] mhi_wwan_ctrl mhi0_DUN2: 92: Failed to receive START channel command completion
[ 190.617066] mhi_wwan_ctrl mhi0_DUN: 32: Failed to receive START channel command completion
[ 264.857076] mhi_wwan_ctrl mhi0_DUN2: 92: Failed to receive START channel command completion
[ 285.337085] mhi_wwan_ctrl mhi0_DUN: 32: Failed to receive START channel command completion
[ 305.816929] mhi_wwan_ctrl mhi0_DIAG: 4: Failed to receive START channel command completion
Mar 11 09:58:11 fedora kernel: mhi-pci-generic 0000:00:05.0: MHI PCI device found: foxconn-sdx55
Mar 11 09:58:11 fedora kernel: mhi-pci-generic 0000:00:05.0: BAR 0: assigned [mem 0xf2000000-0xf2000fff 64bit]
Mar 11 09:58:11 fedora kernel: mhi-pci-generic 0000:00:05.0: using shared MSI
Mar 11 09:58:11 fedora kernel: mhi mhi0: Requested to power ON
Mar 11 09:58:11 fedora kernel: mhi mhi0: Power on setup success
Mar 11 09:58:31 muhannad kernel: mhi_wwan_mbim mhi0_IP_HW0_MBIM: 100: Failed to receive START channel command completion
Mar 11 09:58:31 muhannad kernel: mhi_wwan_mbim mhi0_IP_HW0_MBIM: 101: Failed to reset channel, still resetting
Mar 11 09:58:31 muhannad kernel: mhi_wwan_mbim mhi0_IP_HW0_MBIM: 100: Failed to reset channel, still resetting
Mar 11 09:58:31 muhannad kernel: mhi_wwan_mbim: probe of mhi0_IP_HW0_MBIM failed with error -5
Mar 11 09:58:33 muhannad kernel: mhi_wwan_ctrl mhi0_DUN2: 92: Failed to receive START channel command completion
Mar 11 09:58:54 muhannad kernel: mhi_wwan_ctrl mhi0_DUN: 32: Failed to receive START channel command completion
Mar 11 09:59:14 muhannad kernel: mhi_wwan_ctrl mhi0_DIAG: 4: Failed to receive START channel command completion
Mar 11 09:59:35 muhannad kernel: mhi_wwan_ctrl mhi0_DUN2: 92: Failed to receive START channel command completion
Mar 11 09:59:55 muhannad kernel: mhi_wwan_ctrl mhi0_DUN: 32: Failed to receive START channel command completion
Mar 11 10:00:16 muhannad kernel: mhi_wwan_ctrl mhi0_DUN2: 92: Failed to receive START channel command completion
Mar 11 10:00:16 muhannad kernel: mhi_wwan_ctrl mhi0_MBIM: 12: Failed to receive START channel command completion
Mar 11 10:00:36 muhannad kernel: mhi_wwan_ctrl mhi0_DUN: 32: Failed to receive START channel command completion
Mar 11 10:00:57 muhannad kernel: mhi_wwan_ctrl mhi0_DUN2: 92: Failed to receive START channel command completion
Mar 11 10:01:17 muhannad kernel: mhi_wwan_ctrl mhi0_DUN: 32: Failed to receive START channel command completion
Mar 11 10:02:31 muhannad kernel: mhi_wwan_ctrl mhi0_DUN2: 92: Failed to receive START channel command completion
Mar 11 10:02:52 muhannad kernel: mhi_wwan_ctrl mhi0_DUN: 32: Failed to receive START channel command completion
Mar 11 10:03:12 muhannad kernel: mhi_wwan_ctrl mhi0_DIAG: 4: Failed to receive START channel command completion
Mar 11 10:03:33 muhannad kernel: mhi_wwan_ctrl mhi0_MBIM: 12: Failed to receive START channel command completion
Mar 11 10:03:33 muhannad kernel: mhi_wwan_ctrl mhi0_DUN2: 92: Failed to receive START channel command completion
bash-5.2#
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

Feel free to mention items found and pointed out!
Pain I also see is many thing have been fixed here and there but are very slow getting into main builds and some shortly after being added get overwritten and lost again!

Futher: sync vs async mentioned! Make sure it is the correct instance as the line is found in two places and only needs the the correct one
https://lore.kernel.org/all/bb0efc0dbc4 ... urora.org/

Also if they could finally get the HP ID in place so compiling is not needed at all!!
There was quite some work done to pull as much as possible together on git and add a load of ID's:
https://yhbt.net/lore/all/2021031612423 ... gmail.com/

For the disable MBIM in modemmanager. Cant seem to find the original discussion for it but wondering if the following was a part of the work done and they did take a revised piece of work to get it fixed..
https://www.openembedded.org/pipermail/ ... 18163.html
Will keep on searching as want to capture the fill details.

One would have liked is to be able to make these config changed without having to re-compile everything! :(

RE"echo 1 >/sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:00:05.0/remove

propably aint what you where looking for restarting the modem?"

Will test it out, may be of interest as found just telling the OS to turn the device off did not change the state of the modem and with that normally a reboot is a way to do a complete reload if that does the same it may be of interest. Thanks!!
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

RE: " mhi_wwan_mbim: probe of mhi0_IP_HW0_MBIM failed with error -5"
Found mentioned in https://github.com/openwrt/mt76/issues/548
https://access.redhat.com/solutions/1131503
Altho looks like it should have been fixed by the version you are on.. unless is one that overwrote again... but is couple of people saying works in some versions and not others.. Also seems was seen around Wifi
hmmmmm
EDIT: Looks like what they had was on USB but would not surprise me if some common code was on the PCI side..
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=453171
Muhannad

Post by Muhannad »

I guess now would be a good time to ask for getting those fixes into mainbuild as one of the 6.2 Kernels Changelog entrys was adding support for HP X55 Modem PID in the Driver.

Before i dive into building the Kernel and ModemManager i would like to test the Modem in an Windows VM just to make sure its not broken and can actually be used the way i set it up. My guess would be that the modem still has the Firmware installed that it was initially shipped with.
Will take another look over the HP install process today and see if can spot anything.. Unfortunately I have the latest HP one in place so it may skip it..
Half tempted to see what the Lenono process would think of the HP modem but would rather not break things..
What did you have in Mind i could look for in that process?

Also i found some more errors in the journal: " <warn> [plugin/generic] could not grab port wwan0mbim0: Cannot add port 'wwan/wwan0mbim0', unhandled port type"

EDIT: maybe this is what you where looking for?
To see that it works automatically, restart computer (so both modem and ModemManager are reset, but you can reset the modem with mmcli and restart ModemManager via systemd) and try to connect to network or enable the modem (mmcli -m 0 --enable).
If transition error didn't happen, it worked :)
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mobile-b ... quests/806

Also found this huge patch i red about last summer that never made it
PCI_DEVICE(0x17cb, 0x0300)
PCI_DEVICE(0x03f0, 0x0a6c)
...T99W175 can not support MBIM/RmNet on the same time, choose Y
+ here for MBIM, N for RmNet.
This is way too much for a single patch. Please split your changes into a
series of patches
https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/2021031612 ... gmail.com/
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

"Will take another look over the HP install process today and see if can spot anything.. Unfortunately I have the latest HP one in place so it may skip it..
"Half tempted to see what the Lenono process would think of the HP modem but would rather not break things.."
"What did you have in Mind i could look for in that process?"

Think I found it.. it was the install log to try and figure out were/what the firmware file was: HP also has a log and got the notion to check what has been installed and in it found:
STEP PASS] Install driver [mbfwdriver] successful
[STEP PASS] Add register EnableLTEReportingOnNSA successful
[STEP Check] start wait for FW upgrade, Current: 0
[STEP Check] start wait for FW upgrade, Current: 3
[STEP Check] start wait for FW upgrade, Current: 90
[STEP WARN] firmware update process over 90 seconds, Current: 93
[STEP PASS] FW upgrade PASS
[STEP PASS] Copy file [SDx55_Version.dll] to target successful
==================== Driver Install Complete ====================
errorlevel=0

So suspect the SDx55_Version.dll is the firmware..
Would recommend getting the modem on a windows system and upgrade in a 'supported' way ;) What would try is see if the process has /? flag options could be run to get more details logs.. So the other angle was also to find a way to extract it so could get a usable option to flash within openwrt..

Checking further found in SP144352 \src\Drivers
14/03/2022 00:57 1,950 ReadMe.txt
24/02/2022 07:50 121,344 SDx55_Version.dll

With the txt file mentioning:
// FOTA - v1.0.7.5 (T99W175.F0.1.0.0.9 (AP076). Win10 20H1 & Win11 22000 HLK)
Checked: Firmware Over the Air (FOTA)

Ah yes! Another item to mention.. Part of the reason was very interested in firmware was due to a lot of crashing firmware and loads of people of reporting crashes :) Lenovo threads did a lot of talking and discussing this and thanks to a much more active support channel they came to the conclusion that "issues with versions bellow 075". in searching at the time I had seen as high as T99W175.F0.1.0.0.9.TO.006.079 mentioned.. but HP takes an age to catch up and looks like release every 3 months :( But thanks to there last update it at least got me 1 point over 076 :) Has been a better at a firmware level, since that update have only had one crash.

"""Also found this huge patch i red about last summer that never made it
PCI_DEVICE(0x17cb, 0x0300)
PCI_DEVICE(0x03f0, 0x0a6c)
...T99W175 can not support MBIM/RmNet on the same time, choose Y
+ here for MBIM, N for RmNet.
This is way too much for a single patch. Please split your changes into a
series of patches
https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/2021031612 ... gmail.com """

Ah that sound like it :) Part of what I read was that the reviewers didn't like such a massive update and asked for it to be broken down into smaller modules.. and that's were the store ended or went into slow mode..
EDIT: Would be realy good to get that set of fixes into a full release!

Slow mode is the same for my newer router! git has had the fix for the install packages for 8 months now and still they have not release install packages for it :( So i am stuck using of mice and modems rooter on it..
Muhannad

Post by Muhannad »

mtl26637 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:11 pm ...For the unlock scripts I just copied the 105b to 03f0 and the 105b:e0ab to 03f0:0a6c. This worked for me after copying or linking the scripts as suggested on the ModemManager FCC unlock instructions. Keep in mind for anyone using Openwrt the default link command does not work the same as what is instructed on the ModemManager page. Instead I just copied the scripts to the unlock folder rather than linking them.
So i would do that like this? or am i missing something? I dont really understand "/etc/ModemManager/fcc-unlock.d" because i dont have /etc

cd  /usr/share/ModemManager/fcc-unlock.available.d/
cp 105b:e0ab  /usr/share/ModemManager/fcc-unlock.available.d/03f0:0a6c
cp 105b  /usr/share/ModemManager/fcc-unlock.available.d/03f0
qmicli -p -d /dev/wwan0mbim0 --device-open-mbim --dms-foxconn-set-fcc-authentication=00
qmicli -p -d /dev/wwan0mbim0 --device-open-mbim --dms-get-operating-mode
PaddyX wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:19 pm So suspect the SDx55_Version.dll is the firmware..
Would recommend getting the modem on a windows system and upgrade in a 'supported' way ;) What would try is see if the process has /? flag options could be run to get more details logs.. So the other angle was also to find a way to extract it so could get a usable option to flash within openwrt..
Here someone tried to flash the firmware of the X5 HP Modem on Linux. He extracted the file got alot of logs and got the modem into Downloade mode on Linux flashed and than bricked his modem :D but i have no idea where he found the logs https://abarouski.blogspot.com/2016/06/ ... t4120.html

When i installed HP Drivers on Win in the past those where with a GUI and opened a cmd window at some point of the installation process in the background at most, nothing to put flags in just the regular "accept Terms" ... "OK" .. "install" -Buttons. I have no idea where i could get those logs
:/ what do you mean by upgrade in a "supported" way? How did you upgrade?

EDIT: Downloading that Win10 iso takes ages i really need that T99W175 modem to work lol
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

Muhannad wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:01 pm When i installed HP Drivers on Win in the past those where with a GUI and opened a cmd window at some point of the installation process in the background at most, nothing to put flags in just the regular "accept Terms" ... "OK" .. "install" -Buttons. I have no idea where i could get those logs
:/ what do you mean by upgrade in a "supported" way? How did you upgrade?

EDIT: Downloading that Win10 iso takes ages i really need that T99W175 modem to work lol
:) Apologies, the "supported" was a little joke at HP writing everything on windows and leaning windows way..
So was along the lines of, without knowing if they do anything odd/funny with it then using it the way the programmed to carry out the work means its going to do the needed things..

"When i installed HP Drivers on Win in the past those where with a GUI and opened a cmd window at some point of the installation process in the background at most, nothing to put flags in just the regular "accept Terms" ... "OK" .. "install" -Buttons. I have no idea where i could get those logs"

I see your point! Sometimes things can be well hidden!

I took another quick looks at it.. 1st removed the Echo off so could see the output:
"install /?
REM echo off
REM The following is required in all INSTALL.CMD files
if exist c:\system.sav\util\SetVariables.cmd Call c:\system.sav\util\SetVariables.cmd
set version=1.03c
Set block=C:\SWSetup\SP144352\
CD /D "C:\SWSetup\SP144352\"
REM Remove the REM from the next line if your component does not support Silent Install (Application Recovery)
REM Erase /F /Q *.CVA
REM Add the command-line to have your component to be installed properly
Pushd src
src>if not defined FCC_LOG_FOLDER goto BPS
if exist "C:\SWSetup\SP144352\src\Uninstall.cmd" call "C:\SWSetup\SP144352\src\Uninstall.cmd"

Uninstall.cmd looks to be the next section.. It launches: SDx55DriverUninstallTool_v1.0.0.11.exe

in the src folder is also the log file mentioned..
it ended:
11/03/2023 23:39:02 Deleted File : C:\fota_running.txt
11/03/2023 23:39:02 Deleted File : c:\sim_service_running.txt
11/03/2023 23:39:10 DeviceRemove.exe "MBFW\{30334630-3041-3643-3034-3134464F5843}"
11/03/2023 23:39:10 No matching devices found.No devices were removed.

So need to get the modem back on to check further.. Will see if can find time tomorrow to move things around.. Altho if is no debug then will just see what I posted before.
mtl26637

Post by mtl26637 »

Muhannad wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:01 pm So i would do that like this? or am i missing something? I dont really understand "/etc/ModemManager/fcc-unlock.d" because i dont have /etc

[/quote]

Yes, that is the way to create the unlock scripts for the 03f0:0a6c modem.  ModemManager stopped unlocking these modems by default awhile back and have included instructions on how to unlock them manually.  Upon installation of ModemManager the scripts are always located in "/usr/share/ModemManager/fcc-unlock.available.d/*".  You must copy or link the unlock scripts to the correct ModemManager installation folder depending on which OS you are using.  When using Ubuntu or similar, the scripts must be linked to "/etc/ModemManager/fcc-unlock.d/*".  When using Openwrt this location is "/usr/lib/ModemManager/fcc-unlock.d/*".  If all else fails, create both locations and copy or link them to both.

Now, in regards to the HP.  The MHI driver does NOT include the 03f0:0a6c modem.  The only exception to this is the latest 6.2 kernel where I did notice it has been added.  This is based on kernels provided by kernel.org.  This may not be the case with other kernels provided via other sources I don't know.  Thing is, Openwrt does not use the latest kernels and the latest kernel used is 5.15.x so you must build the MHI driver with the 03f0:0a6c included for Openwrt to work on the HP.  This is how I have got it to work for me.
mtl26637

Post by mtl26637 »

Muhannad wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:01 pm So i would do that like this? or am i missing something? I dont really understand "/etc/ModemManager/fcc-unlock.d" because i dont have /etc

Yes, that is the way to create the unlock scripts for the 03f0:0a6c modem. ModemManager stopped unlocking these modems by default awhile back and have included instructions on how to unlock them manually. Upon installation of ModemManager the scripts are always located in "/usr/share/ModemManager/fcc-unlock.available.d/*". You must copy or link the unlock scripts to the correct ModemManager installation folder depending on which OS you are using. When using Ubuntu or similar, the scripts must be linked to "/etc/ModemManager/fcc-unlock.d/*". When using Openwrt this location is "/usr/lib/ModemManager/fcc-unlock.d/*". If all else fails, create both locations and copy or link them to both.

Now, in regards to the HP. The MHI driver does NOT include the 03f0:0a6c modem. The only exception to this is the latest 6.2 kernel where I did notice it has been added. This is based on kernels provided by kernel.org. This may not be the case with other kernels provided via other sources I don't know. Thing is, Openwrt does not use the latest kernels and the latest kernel used is 5.15.x so you must build the MHI driver with the 03f0:0a6c included for Openwrt to work on the HP. This is how I have got it to work for me.
Muhannad

Post by Muhannad »

i once had a HP Notebook which refused to boot after i upgraded the ram. Official Reason was it had blacklist every non hp branded ram on every device Worldwide because of FCC regulations... :evil:
PaddyX wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:43 pm in the src folder is also the log file mentioned..
it ended:
11/03/2023 23:39:02 Deleted File : C:\fota_running.txt
11/03/2023 23:39:02 Deleted File : c:\sim_service_running.txt
11/03/2023 23:39:10 DeviceRemove.exe "MBFW\{30334630-3041-3643-3034-3134464F5843}"
11/03/2023 23:39:10 No matching devices found.No devices were removed.

So need to get the modem back on to check further.. Will see if can find time tomorrow to move things around.. Altho if is no debug then will just see what I posted before.
Hmm i could try to undelete those files with Testdisk right after installing the Driver. Tell me when you found something ill wait with the Driver installation so we can get the log hopefully
mtl26637 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:50 pm You must copy or link the unlock scripts to the correct ModemManager installation folder depending on which OS you are using. When using Ubuntu or similar, the scripts must be linked to "/etc/ModemManager/fcc-unlock.d/*". When using Openwrt this location is "/usr/lib/ModemManager/fcc-unlock.d/*". If all else fails, create both locations and copy or link them to both.
The Modem appeared under /dev after upgrading Kernel from 6.1.14 to 6.2.3 on Fedora. But there aint no /etc dir but a /lib/ dir without ModemManager. Somehow i got a convincing result by running "/usr/share/ModemManager/fcc-unlock.available.d/03f0 wwan0mbim0 wwan0mbim0" but cant confirm as long as i haven't fixed the Issue with the async which will hopefully bring the Modem alive

bash-5.2# uname -r
6.2.3-300.fc37.x86_64
bash-5.2# find / -type d -name 'ModemManager'
find: ‘/run/user/1000/gvfs’: Permission denied
/usr/share/licenses/ModemManager
/usr/share/doc/ModemManager
/usr/share/ModemManager
/usr/lib64/ModemManager
bash-5.2# cd /usr/share/ModemManager/fcc-unlock.available.d/
bash-5.2# cp 105b:e0ab  /usr/share/ModemManager/fcc-unlock.available.d/03f0:0a6c
bash-5.2# cp 105b  /usr/share/ModemManager/fcc-unlock.available.d/03f0
bash-5.2# /usr/share/ModemManager/fcc-unlock.available.d/03f0 wwan0mbim0 wwan0mbim0
error: couldn't open the QmiDevice: Transaction timed out
Could not determine SDX55 firmware version. Falling back to old unlock method
error: couldn't open the QmiDevice: Transaction timed out
SDX55 FCC unlock v1 failed
Don't really know what to look for in the journal :?:
eskaryo

Post by eskaryo »

Muhannad wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:37 pmi do remember eskaryo using proxmox. Did you have to pass through additional devices or do anything else special to get the modem running within a container?

My plan was to make a pull request for ModemManager 1.21.x to support fcc unlock for the HP pid out of the box but now im kinda stuck
Yeah I have a Proxmox host and an OpenWRT guest. I still haven't made an LXC instance but that's on the list someday.

I've done a few things:

-Upgrade Proxmox to kernel 6.1 which is opt-in, but is distributed through their non-enterprise channel. This is not required for a VM but is required for a container.
-Configure Proxmox to block loading drivers for the device so it can be passed to the guest totally un-initialized.

echo blacklist mhi_pci_generic >> /etc/modprobe.d/pve-blacklist.conf
update-initramfs -u -k all
reboot
-Configure the guest hardware in Proxmox web server, add the modem via PCIe
-You can use this dialog to change the VID:PID of the device to another model, you can convert this HP module to a Lenovo module for the guest

I've still got issues with the power-on states but no time to work on it for now. Would love a patched driver for my OpenWRT guest so it always initializes cleanly.

/edit: @Muhannad Re-reading your question and see it's about containers. I've still not built out that container and probably won't for another week or so.
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

Well good news my side. With the last few updates of the kernel and the async fix things have been stable so will be ordering a new areal and when it arrives will see about moving over to it as my primary.

Thanks for the mention of the HP modem being in the MHI files already in newer kernels! I cross checked and could see them. What I also checked for was the async fix and it was not in any of the latest kernels :(

On another note I was playing with openwrt to see if could get it working and it looks like they may need to do some more work on openwrt..
It always gives an error when trying to run mmcli scan! it errors like it does not have the rights or something is missing.
I used the same kernel version on a ubuntu box to generate the mhi_pci_generic file..
On the side did find openwrt seems to be based on debian so need to re-check this and see if can leverage it..

Edit: Ah recalled, Still not managed to get 5G only mode to work! Thoughts either signal strength is to low, ISP fibbing! or does not like the antennas!
With the proper 5G antennas and moving to a much better spot will see what is left on the list..
Hikaru_

Post by Hikaru_ »

@eskaryo

if you already have a working serial port (/dev/wwan0at0) with it, you can just run `AT^CUSTOMER=6` to convert the PID. 6 is Lenovo iirc. 1 should be Telit which isn't even in mainline yet. I tried everything on 6.2 and only the telit vid/pid pair didnt work. So yeah, you dont have to do the pid spoofing in proxmox

as for openwrt, maybe applying this PR should work https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/pull/11011

Also they ran out of the 5G modules on ebay :( I wanted one
mtl26637

Post by mtl26637 »

The HP variant is basically the only one that isn't supported in latest openwrt snapshot at this point. If you install latest snapshot then use opkg to install luci. After you have luci installed you can then search and install any/all the software with "mhi", "modemmanager", *qmi*, "mbim" and all is good. Still may have to mess with FCC unlock and ModemManager APN and TTL settings but that about it at this point. If your able to use AT command to change to lenovo version then even the HP is usable at this point without building with manual edits to the MHI driver. Just gotta know your way around Openwrt/ModemManager a little.

Ya I was able to grab one of those from fleabay before they disappeared, couldn't turn it down for $25 for a 5G modem that competes with the best out there. Quite a steal. There more out there just not quite that cheap unfortunately.
Hikaru_

Post by Hikaru_ »

HP and Telit actually. Telit one might be obscure (AT^CUSTOMER=1 or 2 I forgot).
That was for those people who can plug it in a laptop or something and run a newer version of the kernel and not bother updating their openwrt instances. Like in eskaryo's case where host has 6.1 and potentially an owrt guest on 5.15. Wouldn't need to spoof pid in that case.
Otherwise they can just apply the 6.1 patch by Ansuel to be able to get it working. There are a lot more changes from 5.15 which snapshot is on to 6.1 in regards to mhi and wwan core.

If anyone has extras and willing to let go of one 👀
isthiscre@iv

Post by isthiscre@iv »

Does anyone have any recommendations of an adapter from Ali for a sim card that can be used with this modem? I saw about the Ableconn one, but it is sold on Amazon and is quite expensive...
Also, would plugging such an adapter into one like this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004700605966.html (PCIe to Mini PCIe) work? I will use the modem on a desktop motherboard (x86 Proxmox host with OpenMPTCProuter guest), and it has no Mini PCIe obviously, so I need some kind of similar adapter solution.
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

That would likely work as it is PCI. For the modems mentioned they are usually PCI mode only..
The other item to mention is what other ports does it have as there are other m.2 ports that can be converted over..
I have verified if the adapter is good can go from:
m.2 m key (usualy for storage)
m.2 a/e key (usualy wifi module)
isthiscre@iv

Post by isthiscre@iv »

PaddyX wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:14 am The other item to mention is what other ports does it have as there are other m.2 ports that can be converted over..
What other ports does my x86 machine have? The motherboard is an Atermiter DDR4 Turbo D4 Motherboard. But I would prefer an x1 or x2 PCIe adapter.
What about the SIM card part, do you know any adapter that adds one? My carrier doesn't support eSIM...
eskaryo

Post by eskaryo »

isthiscre@iv wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:34 am Does anyone have any recommendations of an adapter from Ali for a sim card that can be used with this modem? I saw about the Ableconn one, but it is sold on Amazon and is quite expensive...
Also, would plugging such an adapter into one like this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004700605966.html (PCIe to Mini PCIe) work? I will use the modem on a desktop motherboard (x86 Proxmox host with OpenMPTCProuter guest), and it has no Mini PCIe obviously, so I need some kind of similar adapter solution.
I tried to avoid having to purchase the Ableconn as well but after trying and failing to find one that would do the trick I just paid the Ableconn price.
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

Ableconn is the best! the option to jumper pci only mode only is what makes it great! I tried another and was no go so waist of money. and the problem is many don't tell you if they are usb only or what protocols are available!

Also forgot to mention with PCIe to Mini PCIe you still have to get the Ableconn to convert to the final m.2 b key with sim!
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

isthiscre@iv wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:17 am What other ports does my x86 machine have? The motherboard is an Atermiter DDR4 Turbo D4 Motherboard. But I would prefer an x1 or x2 PCIe adapter.
What about the SIM card part, do you know any adapter that adds one? My carrier doesn't support eSIM...
Took a look and looks like it may have: Ports (depending on the flavour):
NVME M.2
SATA M.2
2x pcix1 slots

Should not be a problem using the PCIx1 slot.. As mentioned as long as PCI is properly supported and passed through then is fine.

RE: What about the SIM card part, do you know any adapter that adds one?
You will still need a 2nd adapter on top of the pcix one. for that the Ableconn-MPEX-134B-Mini-PCIe-Adapter is the best! as know it works and it has the sim slot included on it!
https://www.amazon.com/Ableconn-MPEX-13 ... B0779727FY
Hikaru_

Post by Hikaru_ »

isthiscre@iv wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:34 am Does anyone have any recommendations of an adapter from Ali for a sim card that can be used with this modem? I saw about the Ableconn one, but it is sold on Amazon and is quite expensive...
If you don't mind taobao, https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=583003660515 No issues with sim card either as they have options to include sim slots. If you already have an existing sim slot, it's also wired to that.

They also have PCIe to M.2 B with USB+PCIe! Pretty cool if you dont want nested adapters. just browse at https://shihetec.taobao.com/
Bunch of cheap adapters for different use cases. Just select 5G and put a note that you want 3042 so they'll solder a threaded socket in the 3042 hole.
4G option might not have the pcie lanes wired.

Ableconn was way too much to ship to my place and also way too expensive. I probably got this for less than half the cost. If your 5G module also supports dual sim, this can do it.
IMHO if you can order from taobao, this one is the best. I also got an M.2 A+E to Mini PCIe so I can use the adapter on wifi m.2 slots.
isthiscre@iv

Post by isthiscre@iv »

Hikaru_ wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:36 am
If you don't mind taobao, https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=583003660515 No issues with sim card either as they have options to include sim slots. If you already have an existing sim slot, it's also wired to that.

They also have PCIe to M.2 B with USB+PCIe! Pretty cool if you dont want nested adapters. just browse at https://shihetec.taobao.com/
Bunch of cheap adapters for different use cases. Just select 5G and put a note that you want 3042 so they'll solder a threaded socket in the 3042 hole.
4G option might not have the pcie lanes wired.

Ableconn was way too much to ship to my place and also way too expensive. I probably got this for less than half the cost. If your 5G module also supports dual sim, this can do it.
IMHO if you can order from taobao, this one is the best. I also got an M.2 A+E to Mini PCIe so I can use the adapter on wifi m.2 slots.
No issues with ordering from there)
I checked the first link that you posted, and in the description it says USB 2.0, and visually, the lanes that are connected seem to be too few for carrying PCIe signal, even on the 5G version (maybe marketing thing? It's just an adapter).
Do you have the link for the "PCIe to M.2 B with USB+PCIe" adapter that you mentioned? The store has so many listings, so it's a bit hard to find...

Also, yes, I will not buy the Ableconn, as with shipping the price is pretty much same as the modem (or more, depending on brand of the modem). I am in contact with the admin of a thread about 4G/5G modems on 4PDA (Russian forum) that has designed his own adapter (and got it manufactured) that plugs into an M key NVMe socket (usual socket of NVMe SSDs on motherboards), so I may also buy an adapter from him. The only issue is shipping from Russia right now... But he promised to check the price for shipping etc.
I will post an update on that too, if I end up buying it.
Hikaru_

Post by Hikaru_ »

isthiscre@iv wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:04 am No issues with ordering from there)
I checked the first link that you posted, and in the description it says USB 2.0, and visually, the lanes that are connected seem to be too few for carrying PCIe signal, even on the 5G version (maybe marketing thing? It's just an adapter).
Do you have the link for the "PCIe to M.2 B with USB+PCIe" adapter that you mentioned? The store has so many listings, so it's a bit hard to find...

Also, yes, I will not buy the Ableconn, as with shipping the price is pretty much same as the modem (or more, depending on brand of the modem). I am in contact with the admin of a thread about 4G/5G modems on 4PDA (Russian forum) that has designed his own adapter (and got it manufactured) that plugs into an M key NVMe socket (usual socket of NVMe SSDs on motherboards), so I may also buy an adapter from him. The only issue is shipping from Russia right now... But he promised to check the price for shipping etc.
I will post an update on that too, if I end up buying it.
I can confirm that the 5G version (black one) has pcie lanes btw :) Their second pic is a T99W175 with the 5G adapter.

M.2 Key B to Mini PCIe: https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=583003660515
Select "Sky Blue 5G_SIM*2" for PCIe. Message them to customize it to 3042

M.2 Key B to PCIe: https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=599012341033
Select 3042. All pcie lanes connected

M.2 Key B to M.2 Key B+M: https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=599011797818
Don't need that adapter from russia :D They seem to have it here. Just select 3042. does seem like it has pcie lanes connected. (they also mention)

They have a lot more adapters which might be interesting to some. (including extending such adapters via FPC cables.) so best to look around. There's not much listings once you go to the categories.
pwalsh110
Has thanked: 0

Post by pwalsh110 »

Hello all,
I was excited to see the reasonable price I could get one of these lenovo version modems for. I've got it in the Ablecom adapter on an old system and it seems to be working but I have a few questions I thought I'd get input from you pioneers on.

First: I'm on an old firmware and I'd like advice about what version is working best to upgrade to, and also for any guidance on doing the upgrade safely under linux preferably.

Second: I'd really like to be able to change the IMEI # and I'm pretty sure I've seen reference to this somewhere but am having trouble finding it now. I tried the AT+EMGR command and it is not working at least on this firmware version. I see some references to a windows app that can do it for snapdragon android phones but again I figured you guys might have some suggestions.

Thank you in advance!
eskaryo

Post by eskaryo »

you can use fwupdmgr / fwupd to update the modem on linux, but I ran into a scenario where the firmware rev my module was on would crash during the fw update process so I ended up having to boot it in a Windows system and let the Lenovo driver package do the flash.

If you're running OpenWRT, you need the Snapshot release to support the modem currently. Otherwise, pick the most recent distro of whatever platform you want to use and it should probably hit the ground running.

RE: IMEI look up the AT command documentation for the T77W968, there's a google doc pasted in a few places on this forum that has a list of AT commands and can be helpful if you need to perform some magic
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

Hikaru_ wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:36 am Ableconn was way too much to ship to my place and also way too expensive. I probably got this for less than half the cost. If your 5G module also supports dual sim, this can do it.
yea i found a very interesting adapter from m-key to b-key with sim but the shipping was insane!! $60+

Ended up getting https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001160 ... 1802tt90Mv
That converts from m.2 m NVME no problem but will still need the pcie > m.2-B with sim!
I used it to test on my main windows system.. The one thing to be awair of is if multiple of you the cascade of adapters has sim have the sim in the final adapter that has the modem on it..
Hikaru_

Post by Hikaru_ »

pwalsh110 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:19 pm Hello all,
I was excited to see the reasonable price I could get one of these lenovo version modems for. I've got it in the Ablecom adapter on an old system and it seems to be working but I have a few questions I thought I'd get input from you pioneers on.

First: I'm on an old firmware and I'd like advice about what version is working best to upgrade to, and also for any guidance on doing the upgrade safely under linux preferably.

Second: I'd really like to be able to change the IMEI # and I'm pretty sure I've seen reference to this somewhere but am having trouble finding it now. I tried the AT+EMGR command and it is not working at least on this firmware version. I see some references to a windows app that can do it for snapdragon android phones but again I figured you guys might have some suggestions.

Thank you in advance!
Do a quick firmware update on windows. Might be too old of a version to be updated via fwupd. I did a fw update on windows then updated in linux since it seems to have newer firmware.

For IMEI repair, assuming linux:

# Delete IMEI first
AT^NV=550,0
# Reset
AT+CFUN=1,1

# Under root
# Figure out the bus id of the module in lspci. should be something like 0000:01:01.1
echo 1 > /sys/bus/pci/devices/<bus id here>/remove

# rescan to reinit
echo 1 > /sys/bus/pci/rescan

# Set IMEI <find the doc to calculate this>
AT^NV=550,0,"08,0A,00,00,00,00,00,00,00"

# Reset 
AT+CFUN=1,1

# Under root
# Figure out the bus id of the module in lspci. should be something like 0000:01:01.1
echo 1 > /sys/bus/pci/devices/<bus id here>/remove

# rescan to reinit
echo 1 > /sys/bus/pci/rescan
and you're done.
Hikaru_

Post by Hikaru_ »

PaddyX wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:22 am yea i found a very interesting adapter from m-key to b-key with sim but the shipping was insane!! $60+

Ended up getting https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001160 ... 1802tt90Mv
That converts from m.2 m NVME no problem but will still need the pcie > m.2-B with sim!
I used it to test on my main windows system.. The one thing to be awair of is if multiple of you the cascade of adapters has sim have the sim in the final adapter that has the modem on it..
Oh yeah I found those on ali as well. But buying from ali is more of a PITA than taobao for me surprisingly. (Postal service sucks here)

I also found a key b -> key b with sim that's made by the same manufacturers. no m.2 b -> minipcie with pcie lanes though sadly. also why a friend referred me to his favorite adapter shop. the ones I linked. Thankfully they had the adapters I needed.

If you have a cascade of adapters, it's fine as long as the lanes are connected. an example would be the shihetech adapters. you can get m.2 B to minipcie without sim slots then use the one you linked for sims. (no point though since they ahve key B to key M)

To check for PCIe support: just check the 6th and 7th pins on the top smaller connector
Screenshot 2023-04-05 at 4.10.29.png
to check if sim is passthrough the mini pcie slot, check if the back side has all these pins connected.
Screenshot 2023-04-05 at 4.11.36.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
isthiscre@iv

Post by isthiscre@iv »

Hello, I am running latest Proxmox VE on my server, and have a VM with latest OpenWrt SNAPSHOT, r22847-5ca3386c8a (Linux OpenWrt 5.15.110 #0 SMP Fri May 12 01:15:47 2023 x86_64 GNU/Linux). I got the modem passed through to the VM with Proxmox, but even though it sees it, it errors out.
It's a Lenovo T99W175.00, and the dmesg has this:

mhi-pci-generic 0000:00:10.0: MHI PCI device found: foxconn-sdx55
[    7.745559] mhi-pci-generic 0000:00:10.0: BAR 0: assigned [mem 0x100000000-0x100000fff 64bit]
[    7.750397] mhi-pci-generic 0000:00:10.0: using shared MSI
[    7.754556] mhi mhi0: BHI offset: 0xffffffff is out of range: 0x1000
[    7.755971] mhi-pci-generic 0000:00:10.0: failed to prepare MHI controller
[    7.934264] mhi-pci-generic: probe of 0000:00:10.0 failed with error -22
This is lspci:

00:10.0 Unassigned class [ff00]: Foxconn International, Inc. Device e0ab
I saw https://github.com/kristrev/mhi-for-kernel-4.14 in this discussion, but I'm using latest snapshot and installed the following kmods:

kmod-mhi-bus kmod-mhi-net kmod-mhi-pci-generic kmod-mhi-wwan-ctrl kmod-mhi-wwan-mbim
So I guess that I shouldn't need the GitHub MHI, as it's for older kernel also, right?

What could be wrong? How do I get it to work?
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

Hello and the fray continues 😊
If recall -22 is EINVAL (invalid argument). Also errors before are likely the better areas to check..
Of what I can see “mhi mhi0: BHI offset: 0xffffffff is out of range: 0x1000” seems to be the most ???
In trying to check around, just for info even:
https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/2023032710 ... hinkpad/T/
“If the BHIOFF or BHIEOFF range checks fail, they return EINVAL. ERANGE
is a better error code since it implies an out of range condition.”
So far in digging not finding any solid hits and in what can read seems like may be a config issue of some kind..
“So I guess that I shouldn't need the GitHub MHI, as it's for older kernel also, right?” Not necessarily! Not due to older kernel but the challenge have had with the higher versions in that they don’t always have all the fixes we have seen to be needing..
That you have the Lenovo version likely puts you in a better place for trying to work down this channel.
Items would have normally recommend checking:
-What firmware is the modem at? Most of the older firmware have stability and other issues and is only in the last 6 or so months they have finally got more stable with Lenovo getting there ahead of HP.. Would also try to get it onto a windows system to both update firmware and test function on windows..
-There was another async fix that massively impacted stability if there was any kind of restart/reboot and this did not make it into the new versions and think it is not in openwrt yet! To work around this any time the system has a modem issue and or the modem does not come up power the system off completely and then start otherwise you will be chasing your tail so to speak..
-Openwrt: The MHI and bits needed to get this working on openwrt are still very very new! While it has been mentioned in this thread that it is now possible to get the Lenovo working on Openwrt there is still a lot of preference to be using a Linux OS!
Proxmox VE: May need to put in detailed config info for around this as it has been mentioned and ‘working’ to a degree but will need to compare config with eskaryo.
The other challenge I am still trying to get time and work out is how to get debugging going and the challenge is this usually means re-compile and openwrt and this is next level pain.. To the point of mention of actually compiling openwrt directly…
isthiscre@iv

Post by isthiscre@iv »

PaddyX wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 5:29 am Also errors before are likely the better areas to check..
I can send the whole dmesg if needed, but it doesn't seem like there are other errors...
PaddyX wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 5:29 am Not necessarily! Not due to older kernel but the challenge have had with the higher versions in that they don’t always have all the fixes we have seen to be needing..
So should I try compiling the GitHub MHI? Will it not matter that the kernel of my OpenWRT install is higher than 4.14, or how would I compile for the right one?
PaddyX wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 5:29 am What firmware is the modem at? ... Would also try to get it onto a windows system to both update firmware and test function on windows..
How would I check the firmware version and update it?
I booted a Windows 10 VM and initially it didn't find any drivers for the modem, so it showed up as nothing in particular in device manager.
Then I downloaded the drivers from Lenovo (https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downlo ... ga-6th-gen - nz7wn08w.exe v58) and it started recognizing it, but it doesn't initialize the modem correctly...

PaddyX wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 5:29 am There was another async fix that massively impacted stability
Are those fixes included in the GitHub MHI or are they something else?
PaddyX wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 5:29 am The MHI and bits needed to get this working on openwrt are still very very new! While it has been mentioned in this thread that it is now possible to get the Lenovo working on Openwrt there is still a lot of preference to be using a Linux OS!
I tried on a Ubuntu 23.04 Desktop VM (kernel 6.2.0), but the mhi errors are the exact same ones as the ones from the dmesg that I sent before from OpenWRT...
PaddyX wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 5:29 am Proxmox VE: May need to put in detailed config info for around this as it has been mentioned and ‘working’ to a degree but will need to compare config with eskaryo.
What exact config info should I post? My Proxmox install has all default settings and the VM running OpenWRT has regular VM settings...
The only other thing that I did was to make it not initialize the modem prior to passing to the VM, and I did that by using the exact same method that @eskaryo posted before (adding mhi_pci_generic to /etc/modprobe.d/pve-blacklist.conf).
eskaryo

Post by eskaryo »

@isthiscre@iv

I am not using my T99W175 currently, I was running into MHI initialization frustration and discovered I don't even have 5g service where I live so I went back to a T77W968 simply because it inits perfectly every time.

The behavior you are experiencing is something I also observed, the hypervisor needed to have power removed for the device to be in a clean-init state and I felt like it was just an annoying thing to have to manage.

Custom modules built with the state correction PaddyX outlined should be applied to the hypervisor and guest/container and that should resolve.

I wouldn't mind getting back over on this module, it boots and connects more rapidly than the T77- I just need to take the time to build the module with the aforementioned fixes. Since I don't have 5G out here, the impetus is not strong.
isthiscre@iv

Post by isthiscre@iv »

eskaryo wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 12:53 pm @isthiscre@iv

I am not using my T99W175 currently, I was running into MHI initialization frustration and discovered I don't even have 5g service where I live so I went back to a T77W968 simply because it inits perfectly every time.

The behavior you are experiencing is something I also observed, the hypervisor needed to have power removed for the device to be in a clean-init state and I felt like it was just an annoying thing to have to manage.

Custom modules built with the state correction PaddyX outlined should be applied to the hypervisor and guest/container and that should resolve.

I wouldn't mind getting back over on this module, it boots and connects more rapidly than the T77- I just need to take the time to build the module with the aforementioned fixes. Since I don't have 5G out here, the impetus is not strong.
The hypervisor needed to have power removed for the device? What do you mean by that?
Is blacklisting the driver alone like I did not enough? If so, how do I do that?
If I do

echo 1 >/sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:08:00.0/remove
on the hypervisor, when starting the VM, it will fail because it can't find the right PCIe device to pass through

TASK ERROR: no PCI device found for '0000:08:00'
So I guess that you are talking about something else...

What custom modules are you referring to? Is it the mhi driver from GitHub or something else?
If so, then why should it be applied to hypervisor also if it has mhi driver blacklisted? Seems like that would have the wrong effect if the goal is to pass the modem uninitialized.

Edit:
I decided to try shutting the Windows VM down and doing

echo 1 >/sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:08:00.0/remove
, then

and starting the VM again multiple times, and slowly, some devices started to appear, although the MhiHost initialization error from the previous Windows screenshots that I posted remains (strangely only in events tab, in general tab it now says that it's working fine).
This also made the network adapter appear etc but it has errors so it disappeared when I tried enabling it.

When I tried running the OpenWRT snapshot VM after this, the dmesg changed, now it looks like this:

[    7.858310] mhi-pci-generic 0000:00:10.0: MHI PCI device found: foxconn-sdx55
[    7.859982] mhi-pci-generic 0000:00:10.0: BAR 0: assigned [mem 0x100000000-0x100000fff 64bit]
[    7.861808] mhi-pci-generic 0000:00:10.0: enabling device (0000 -> 0002)
[    7.865159] mhi-pci-generic 0000:00:10.0: using shared MSI
[    7.871924] mhi mhi0: Requested to power ON
[    7.873724] mhi mhi0: Power on setup success
[   52.437119] mhi_wwan_ctrl mhi0_DUN: 33: Failed to receive RESET channel command completion
[   52.438607] mhi_wwan_ctrl mhi0_DUN: 33: Failed to reset channel, still resetting
[   72.917863] mhi_wwan_ctrl mhi0_DUN: 32: Failed to receive RESET channel command completion
[   72.917868] mhi_wwan_ctrl mhi0_DUN: 32: Failed to reset channel, still resetting
[   79.317924] mhi_wwan_ctrl mhi0_MBIM: 13: Failed to receive RESET channel command completion
[   79.319497] mhi_wwan_ctrl mhi0_MBIM: 13: Failed to reset channel, still resetting
[   99.798253] mhi_wwan_ctrl mhi0_MBIM: 12: Failed to receive RESET channel command completion
[   99.800148] mhi_wwan_ctrl mhi0_MBIM: 12: Failed to reset channel, still resetting
[  122.838833] mhi mhi0: Did not enter M3 state, MHI state: M0, PM state: M?->M3
[  122.840274] mhi-pci-generic 0000:00:10.0: failed to suspend device: -5
And just to make sure, I tried on that 6.2 kernel Ubuntu VM as well, and it had the same dmesg, but it also had this after "Power on setup success":

Wait for device to enter SBL or Mission mode
Seems like at least something is working maybe, and I really hope that I can get it running eventually...
Init errors are bad, but if I can init it fine once, I can just leave the VM running for months. So I guess that it shouldn't be that problematic in my case.
And I have 5G in the area, so it would be really useful to be able to use this modem...
Hikaru_

Post by Hikaru_ »

Have you tried it in the host without passing through? I'm currently running it on OpenWrt 23.05 snapshot which is on 5.15 with no patches for mhi pci. It's in an IPQ4019 router with an adapter both from taobao. Running FW: T99W175.F0.1.0.0.9.GC.004 079 with a lenovo module.
isthiscre@iv

Post by isthiscre@iv »

Hikaru_ wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 10:41 am Have you tried it in the host without passing through? I'm currently running it on OpenWrt 23.05 snapshot which is on 5.15 with no patches for mhi pci. It's in an IPQ4019 router with an adapter both from taobao. Running FW: T99W175.F0.1.0.0.9.GC.004 079 with a lenovo module.
Hmm, I'm thinking it's some issue with firmware maybe? The adapters seem to work fine as everything is at least visible in the dmesg and Windows (I got 2 of the ones that you sent before from Taobao), but I still have issues even on a separate system with just Ubuntu installed (no virtualization, Proxmox or similar).

This is the dmesg from that system (didn't paste output because the machine had no internet etc for outputting to text so I took a photo):

Could it be some other issue? Or do I contact the seller because the modem might be DoA?
The seller seems to have good ratings, so I hope that he sends a new one in that case, as the customer protection already ran out...

Edit:
I have done literally everything possible with the help of someone to get it working (got it into some special modes, changed firmware, tried doing some other hardware etc) and it appears to have a bootloop issue that cannot be fixed, so it's probably a hardware issue after all... RIP
Hikaru_

Post by Hikaru_ »

Have you tried bare metal windows? if yes, yeah might be DoA. I actually got more of the lenovo cards for cheap and havent had any similar issues. Although I only tried it on an RK3588 SBC and not my router with PCIe.

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”