X55 T99W175 modem

Misc Mini PCI-E and M.2 Modem Card and USB Dongle Topics
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related topics PRIOR to posting a new topic on the same subject.
PaddyX

Re: X55 T99W175 modem

Post by PaddyX »

isthiscre@iv wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:56 am Hmm, I'm thinking it's some issue with firmware maybe?
Edit:
I have done literally everything possible with the help of someone to get it working (got it into some special modes, changed firmware, tried doing some other hardware etc) and it appears to have a bootloop issue that cannot be fixed, so it's probably a hardware issue after all... RIP
Apologies, things have been crazy busy my side so not managed to catch up or do much more on my system..
What firmware were you on and what are you using now?
I have the Hp and did a lot of reading on the lenovo side. Had massive issues with firmware from the begining! And only recently managed to get a high enough version..
If you have managed to upgrade to the latest then it should be more stable. On the older builds I had massive issues with the modem crashing out.. but seem to recall for some of them it would actualy mention in the log a firware crash so mayby grep the logs for firmware.,.. I mentioned this earlier in this post:
got my modem on: T99W175.T0.0.0.4.1.GC.003.028
Had seen mention as high as T99W175.F0.1.0.0.9.TO.006.079 and mention and other issues with versions bellow 075.. So anything 75 or above should be better..

Tried looking up the error and found some mention in https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mobile-b ... issues/644
didnt have the time to do a final re-check but there was some mention of the wrong sim slot being selected or a sim issue.. I know i had some fun when using two levels of adapters as both had sim slots so had to make sure the sim was on the same converter that held the modem..

RE Are those fixes included in the GitHub MHI or are they something else?
From what we got from testing most of the fixes had made it into the later kernels/mhi but what had not made it in was the async one and for me this was the one that if anything happened and the modem crashed it would never be able to restart withough a hard boot of everything! For it you have to compile +++ b/drivers/bus/mhi/pci_generic.c
@@ -637,7 +637,7 @@ static void mhi_pci_recovery_work(struct work_struct *work)
if (err)
goto err_try_reset;

- err = mhi_sync_power_up(mhi_cntrl);
+ err = mhi_async_power_up(mhi_cntrl);
if (err)
goto err_unprepare;
Also double check as there are two places that look similar and you need to mod the correct one.. Will try to check in again soon..

EDIT: One item to clarify.. The Firmware! I tried a lot of firware versions along the way, partly due to for a long time there was no stable version.. Also what needs to be reminded, things can get re-broken! Have seen it so many times and we even found it on other aspects of issues with the over all issues arround this.. Problems re-occuring and crazy amount of time to get fixes in!! What we have seen is things are getting better but its slow!
xristos
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by xristos »

Hi guys! I’m new here!

I have a T99W175 HP variant working perfectly on OPENWRT.

I would like to order one more to put on my LHGG CAT6 antenna from Mikrotik.

In order for a modem to work with ROS it needs to support MBIM over usb. I have mini pcie to m2 b key adapter but I would like your opinion on this one.

I don’t know if it’s safe to give it a try or if I will break the modem or even worse the LHGG.

Some help would be greatly appreciated
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

Hello Xristos

Interesting to hear "I have a T99W175 HP variant working perfectly on OPENWRT."
What is the version of openwrt?
What is the router hardware?
-Quick lookup: or is it working in the Mikrotik Router OS?
Was it an openwrt from microtec or came with the router?

RE: "In order for a modem to work with ROS it needs to support MBIM over usb. I have mini pcie to m2 b key adapter but I would like your opinion on this one"

The HP/Lenovo ones usualy have USB channels hard disabled so would not work with any USB in the works.. hence the wating to know hardware above..

RE: "I don’t know if it’s safe to give it a try or if I will break the modem or even worse the LHGG."
It should not damage the modem. It just wont be seen.
Further USB converters, I have an old one and a new one and my other 1gig modem did not work in the old one so does seem like there is some new config in the new usb convertes so double check what the specs are.. Also have tested my HP T99W175 in the USB converter and was not seen at all and since moving it to a PC with m.2 it works fine and have moved it back and forth without issue.. Just be cairful of static and dont touch any contacts etc!
samaeqe0

Post by samaeqe0 »

xristos wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:33 am Hi guys! I’m new here!

I have a T99W175 HP variant working perfectly on OPENWRT.
Where are you using it? On what hardware? Can you please share the Openwrt version you're using?

Thank you
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

Not seen any update from him :(

On the good side I had another issue were they didnt support my main router hardware at alll and can see now in the latest future test builds it got added! So have to hope that the change was made in one of those latest builds.

Have been trying to find some time to get down time on the router to play with it but things have been too busy :(

If have a suported router maby try gettting on the latest test builds and try it.
I need to get my other router stable and setup so can free the main up for testing.

Keep us posted
eskaryo

Post by eskaryo »

PaddyX wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:41 pm
The main change for the not recovering for restart was the following change and then compile with it..
+++ b/drivers/bus/mhi/pci_generic.c
@@ -637,7 +637,7 @@ static void mhi_pci_recovery_work(struct work_struct *work)
if (err)
goto err_try_reset;

- err = mhi_sync_power_up(mhi_cntrl);
+ err = mhi_async_power_up(mhi_cntrl);
if (err)
goto err_unprepare;

make sure to find the correct entry as there is another similar..
/* MHI bus does not power up the controller by default */
err = mhi_prepare_for_power_up(mhi_cntrl);
if (err) {
dev_err(&pdev->dev, "failed to prepare MHI controller\n");
goto err_unregister;
}

err = mhi_async_power_up(mhi_cntrl);
if (err) {
dev_err(&pdev->dev, "failed to power up MHI controller\n");
goto err_unprepare;
I'm coming back to this and was wondering if you could post your mhi_pci_generic.ko file so I can try dropping it on my system to any level of success. I don't know why but I have this mental block telling me doing the build from scratch is going to take too fricken long.

Also- how can we ask the OpenWRT group to maybe update their mhi_pci_generic kmod to include?

/edit:
I have been unsuccessful in the LXC container idea. I can't get it to be recognized in mmcli even when I've given the container root privileges. I can hit it up with qmicli but I think I just want to stick to modemmanager.
samaeqe0

Post by samaeqe0 »

So, for now there is no way to use this T99W175 on openwrt? I have the lenovo variant, and I've been unable to use it since I purchased it because I have USB3.0 adapters everywhere and never had the occasion to work with PCIE mode, neither I have the hardware (custom router / expensive lenovo laptop) to use it.

Anybody has something to suggest for capable hardware to run this modem with OpenWRT?
eskaryo

Post by eskaryo »

The modem works with openwrt. Your problem is that the modem doesn't use USB protocol and you don't have something that will operate with MHI.

Grab a lenovo or hp sff PC with an available M.2 and you should be on the path. I had to adapt the slot to fit the T99 form factor and those parts are mentioned somewhere in this thread.
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

Hello eskaryo, sorry for the delay, things have been crazy and trying to find my power supply after a massive tidy up :(
RE: could post your mhi_pci_generic.ko file
When managed to get it up will try to get this for you. Note the version I will have is based on linux os and not openwrt..
Still have not found time to get my internet backonto my old router so can get playing with this again.

RE: Also- how can we ask the OpenWRT group to maybe update their mhi_pci_generic kmod to include?
Think in the latest builds they do have it but the challenge is you generaly get it as they give it.. App there is a way to compile but have not managed to figure it out..
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

Hello eskaryo

Attaching the file as requested. it is based on 6.1.7 kernel and have seen a number of changes as the versions go up..

Now that have the system back will see about moving to the latest and test /check again as they have already got upto 6.6. rc5 so has been while since was last able to work on this. As mentioned with the attached file had it stable and no problems with reboots and re-iterate make sure the firmware on the modem is high enough as there was crashing issues on old firwares!!
Also if the async is not in place then any firmware crash or soft reboot will break everything untill a hard reboot!

Note: I have ordered to make my life a little easier a lenovo ver of the modem.. hope to have it by Jan
-Also looking into getting another micro system, likly a lenovo with full m.2 slots also to make my life a little easier as my one needs more than 1 converter stacked so hope with a proper m.2 to go back to just 1 and a good one at that..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
geraigerai

Post by geraigerai »

So there is Lenovo/HP/Dell versions. Dell seems to be the cheapest, but the least hassle is with the Lenovo - is that correct?
geraigerai

Post by geraigerai »

And one more :) How do you know if the adapter is with PCIE lines ? E.g. if I would need a full PCIE adapter (not miniPCIE) would this work https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=599012341033 ?
eskaryo

Post by eskaryo »

I haven't looked out for prices on these in some time. It felt to me like the prices were highly variable and finding the module under certain search terms (such as sdx55) yielded less expensive models.

At this point the only thing that I'd say is difficult is the fact that OpenWRT does not yet have a release with a patched mhi_pci_generic module which is needed to ensure clean power-on of the modem.

@geraigerai I don't know for sure that the adapter won't work, but PCIe x1 has enough bandwidth to support it. Adapting this thing tends to be tricky but that looks like it should do it.

@PaddyX thanks for posting that module by the way. I'm sorry to admit I haven't done anything with it.
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

@eskaryo no problem :) good to see you still arround and keeping busy

@geraigerai For a couple of reasons would aim for lenovo! I got an HP as was better price and took ages to get needed fixed firmware and still have to hack the files for linux! While Lenovo has been far ahead on the firmware and better supported! Also keep an eye on ebay as desided to get a 2nd and found a lenovo one on ebay for $24! Amazing price and must have got very lucky! Just trying to get it back to me now :) hope to have a path for it to get to me in Jan!
geraigerai

Post by geraigerai »

eskaryo wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:01 pm At this point the only thing that I'd say is difficult is the fact that OpenWRT does not yet have a release with a patched mhi_pci_generic module which is needed to ensure clean power-on of the modem.
So how can I build the OpenWRT with the patched version? I've checked out the master branch of the openwrt, but it does not seem to contain the `pci_generic.c` file nor did I find anything with `mhi_sync_power_up` or `mhi_async_power_up`.
And also on the master the TESTING kernel version is 6.1, so openwrt is not there yet with 6.2 ? What am I missing?

I've bought the Lenovo version for 50eur shipped with taxes (Dell was 40eur, but it was marked as prototype, so was a bit afraid to buy that) and planing to put that into x86 Fujitsu Futuro S920 thin client. So while waiting for the hardware I thought I'd compile the openwrt from source with the patches

EDIT:
Ok, it seems I need to build first, and then use quilt for patch applying, not as straight forward as I thought
mtl26637

Post by mtl26637 »

The latest stable version has support (23.05). It actually has for awhile now really. The only trick is having to install some of the software after installing openwrt to your device. The quickest and easiest way to get up and running is to install openwrt on your device. Connect an internet connection to your device and go to the /system/software tab and search and install everything usng the following searches:
"mbim"
"qmi"
"mhi"
"modemmanager"

Not sure if every package that you will see is needed but since your running on x86 machine storage shouldn't come into play anyway. This will also work with the latest snapshots but you will need to add "luci" to the software list and will need to install it from command line first.

Once, installed you will need to link/copy the fcc-unlock information to the appropriate location and restart. Once this is completed restart and you should be good to go with Lenovo versions. The HP version still has not been added to the list so it still requires building. The Dell and other brands I have not tried.

You may have to mess around with dns/dhcp lan/gateway settings initially to get a working internet connection to download the software but once you have downloaded and installed it should work. Just don't forget to change things back to their default settings before restarting. There are potential issues along the way like latest modem firmware not playing nice with fcc-unlock but it is doable as I've been running a couple of these since August, 2022. I've never ran into any of the power issues that others mention and have never had to 'patch'. I did see some kernel faults along the way in the past but they seem to have went away for me, can't explain that one.
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

Futher install everything usng the following searches:
"mbim"
"qmi"
"mhi"
"modemmanager"

I would offer one item, there was a stability issue mentioned on lenovo site about if had two of the protocols at the same time, they both try talk to the modem and it hangs it up.. if recall it was if both MHI and QMI active they both try to talk to the modem so confuse it.
If recall if using pci then is mhi route while if is other usb side could be qmi or mbim..
Question would be what is the output of lsusb and lspci
mbim would be if is mbim mode and that would be seen via lsusb aka the pci would not use it..

Generaly the lenovo/hp would be pci so mhi is the must..
Them modemmanager

had a fantastic new round of learning curve arround those as got another 4g modem and had a load of fighting to get it working including removing the fcc-lock perminetly at the modem level on it and some other fun!
Hikaru_

Post by Hikaru_ »

PaddyX wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:32 pm Futher install everything usng the following searches:
"mbim"
"qmi"
"mhi"
"modemmanager"

I would offer one item, there was a stability issue mentioned on lenovo site about if had two of the protocols at the same time, they both try talk to the modem and it hangs it up.. if recall it was if both MHI and QMI active they both try to talk to the modem so confuse it.
If recall if using pci then is mhi route while if is other usb side could be qmi or mbim..
Question would be what is the output of lsusb and lspci
mbim would be if is mbim mode and that would be seen via lsusb aka the pci would not use it..

Generaly the lenovo/hp would be pci so mhi is the must..
Them modemmanager

had a fantastic new round of learning curve arround those as got another 4g modem and had a load of fighting to get it working including removing the fcc-lock perminetly at the modem level on it and some other fun!
you only need to install the last two. lsusb wouldn't output anything. it's mbim and qmi over pcie.
Hikaru_

Post by Hikaru_ »

geraigerai wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:03 am And one more :) How do you know if the adapter is with PCIE lines ? E.g. if I would need a full PCIE adapter (not miniPCIE) would this work https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=599012341033 ?
That would definitely work :) You can see on the PCB that it has the traces.
I got my adapters from them too.
eskaryo

Post by eskaryo »

For OpenWRT users who need auto-reconnect on this thing:
https://forum.openwrt.org/t/support-4g- ... /165025/51

My trouble with this device was keeping it connected. Periodically my modems will lose connection even when service is still online. It's really frustrating. I tend to soft restart the router to reconnect, but the mhi_pci_generic module in use encounters problems when attempting to online the modem because the modem never went through a power cycle process itself- and there seems to be something missing in the module to attempt a power sense/cycle to recover from that scenario. My disconnects were common enough that I grew tired of physically removing power from the host to recover but I found this script above and wondered if it might help so I'm giving this ol' T99 another whirl

I really should just pony up like PaddyX and build my own OpenWRT release and fixup the module but I'm really being lazy and idealistic and don't want to spend the time on it nor do I want to have an OpenWRT instance with kernel headers and gcc bloating it all up. Anyway, here's to hoping that script does the trick!
geraigerai

Post by geraigerai »

eskaryo wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:07 pm I really should just pony up like PaddyX and build my own OpenWRT release and fixup the module but I'm really being lazy and idealistic and don't want to spend the time on it nor do I want to have an OpenWRT instance with kernel headers and gcc bloating it all up. Anyway, here's to hoping that script does the trick!
I've built Openwrt with the power patch and 6.1 kernel.It was not that hard and long (perhaps the first time compile took a bit longer) and some time to figure out how to apply the patch via quilt.
Though I'm still waiting for my T99W175 to arrive, I've flashed the image to new mini pc and plugged the USB with T77W968 - all well.
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

To many anoying hangups in the modem world. have had more than my fair share!
-24hrs, this is a royal pain, as takes awhile to realise was actuly arround the same time the day before the things stalled out and changed as somtimes takes time to realise things have stalled.. - Setup timer power socket for 2 am restart = sweet sarenity! (seeing this on my range extender now days so have to re-plug before starting work each morning..
-T99W175 async / sync issue, any time there was a re-conect, firmware crash or restart the modem would not come up propely! pain and only way to work arround was reboot untill the mhi was fixed!!
-Firmware, so many issues it is not funny!
-LTE band!! This is a fun one, we have some dead bands here and some are poor, have had it a good few times and tonight was bad! Modem comes up fine and connected over 3 bands and 10 min later conection is dead and is only on a single band. Removed that band from the list and locked and back to nice and satable..

Further the small pc. it has not been without its own fun!! Plenty problems with 3 layers of network managers messing up latency like crazy and DNS! and after lots of cleanup and still left with it loses DNS settings. And bazar thing is i vi the config file and just save it without change and presto it works again.. When have time will be looking at trying a later kernel..
5G - still have yet to have joy with it and come across some that mentioned some locations faux 4g to look like 5g. Hope to get a 5g phone soon so can double check. but other projects are taking priority.
eskaryo

Post by eskaryo »

PaddyX you could set up a pihole+unbound server for local dns for more reliability. I've been running with local dns resolution for a long time and haven't experienced that dns issue you mentioned.

RE: Module crashes, I found flashing the module in Windows to be the most reliable way to succeed. I'm running firmware from earlier in the year and it's been nice and stable since my latest go at using this module, been online for 4 full days now without a drop. Prior to adding in the auto-reconnect I mentioned above I'd lose connection most nights.
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

Oh thanks will check out the dns items!!

RE Firmware, for sure, the latest versions have finaly brough the much needed stability! Well worth trying to update to latest!
geraigerai

Post by geraigerai »

How do I send AT commands to this modem? And can anyone share the PDF from Thales? I see /dev/wwan0at0 but at least cannot directly connect with picocom

Edit:
And how do you upgrade the firmware on lenovo version on linux? Currently I have T99W175.F0.1.0.0.7.GC.004 027
eskaryo

Post by eskaryo »

I did all of my AT commands either through mmcli and maybe qmicli, I think.

The only way I know to update the device in linux is through fwupd, on older versions of the firmware the update process would cause the module to crash and then the update would fail. No damage done to the module, a power cycle and it's back to normal. I gave up trying to get the module firmware updated on linux and just made a windows env for it and ran the official updater by OEM.
mtl26637

Post by mtl26637 »

I've found minicom to be the easiest. I posted how to use it on page 1 of this thread, about ~40th post.

Note, sometimes for whatever reason when you open minicom and enter an AT command you wont get a response, just close out of minicom and reopen and try again. I usually start with "ATI" to make sure everything is working and I get a valid response.
Rich Hathaway

Post by Rich Hathaway »

mtl26637 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:24 am I usually start with "ATI" to make sure everything is working and I get a valid response.
Or use" ATE" to enable terminal echo so you can see what you type, it should work on minicom I think.
geraigerai

Post by geraigerai »

Ok, what got me confused is that you have to type everything uppercase :) not like for T77W968 which seems to be case insensitive, e.g.:

Code: Select all

root@OpenWrt:~# mmcli -m 0 --command="AT^CA_INFO?"
response: 'LTE serving information :
PCC info: Band is LTE_B1, Band_width is 20.0 MHz
SCC1 info: Band is LTE_B3, Band_width is 20.0 MHz
SCC2 info: Band is LTE_B7, Band_width is 20.0 MHz
PCC info: Band is NR5G_N78, Band_width is 200.0 MHz'
root@OpenWrt:~# mmcli -m 0 --command="at^ca_info?"
error: command failed: 'GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.Error.Connection.NoCarrier: No carrier'
Minicom worked, but it seemed to cut of the output (possibly because modemanager was also using that port, and picocom simply did not work at all.

It seem quite some commands are supported from T77W968. E.g. to disable certain LTE bands you can do AT^SLBAND:

root@OpenWrt:~# mmcli -m 0 --command="AT^SLBAND?"
response: ' WCDMA,Enable Bands :1,2,4,5,6,8,9,19,
 WCDMA,Disable Bands:
 LTE,Enable Bands :1,2,3,4,5,7,8,12,13,14,17,18,19,20,25,26,28,29,30,32,34,38,39,40,41,42,46,48,66,71,
 LTE,Disable Bands:
 NR5G,Enable Bands :1,2,3,5,7,8,12,20,25,28,38,40,41,48,66,71,77,78,79,
 NR5G,Disable Bands:'
root@OpenWrt:~# mmcli -m 0 --command="AT^SLBAND=LTE,1,28"
response: ''
 WCDMA,Disable Bands:
 LTE,Enable Bands :1,2,3,4,5,7,8,12,13,14,17,18,19,20,25,26,29,30,32,34,38,39,40,41,42,46,48,66,71,
 LTE,Disable Bands:28,
Or you can just select the ones you want by only enabling those:

root@OpenWrt:~#  mmcli -m 0 --command="AT^SLBAND=LTE,2,1,3,7"
response: ''
 WCDMA,Disable Bands:
 LTE,Enable Bands :1,3,7,
 LTE,Disable Bands:2,4,5,8,12,13,14,17,18,19,20,25,26,28,29,30,32,34,38,39,40,41,42,46,48,66,71,
For the changes to take effect you must restart the modem (rebooting the machine might not be enough if power is not interrupted)

root@OpenWrt:~# mmcli -m 0 --command="AT+RESET"
other possible commands of interest

#print various network info
mmcli -m 0 --command="AT^DEBUG?"

#print CA info:
mmcli -m 0 --command="AT^CA_INFO?"
speedtest shows me ~670-700Mbit/s (both speedtest result & OpenWRT realtime graphs) but using curl on http I was not able to go above 300Mbit/s even with parallel streams. Iphone shows 1Gbit/s using speedtest
My RSRP seems to be quite low, so probably need to work on placing the modem somewhere or adding better antennas

nr_rsrp:-94.4dBm rx_diversity: 15 (-93.7dBm,-105.2dBm,-93.4dBm,-90.3dBm)
So far on Linux OpenWrt 6.1.62 with that power patch applied seems to have been stable for 24+ hours, so probably I'll just leave the firmware as is.

Overall for the price - cannot complain :)
piotrKalw

Post by piotrKalw »

geraigerai wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:35 am So far on Linux OpenWrt 6.1.62 with that power patch applied seems to have been stable for 24+ hours, so probably I'll just leave the firmware as is.

Overall for the price - cannot complain :)
Hello, I'm trying to build a router too with this module. Can I ask you which version of the module you have chosen? In which type of router you put the module and how is connected(pci, usb...)?
eskaryo

Post by eskaryo »

@piotrKalw yeah sure you can ask but read the threads for this module and you won't need to.
Hikaru_

Post by Hikaru_ »

I found out 4pda figured out how to enable USB mode. You have to bridge the leftmost pads on the back. You might need to cover the pads for CONFIG_3 on certain adapters or boards but didn't have to on mine.
you also might want to switch it to the Thales MV31 customer id using AT^CUSTOMER=14. It's only USB2.0 so you're probably limited to under 400Mbps.

I've tested it for a bit and it works well with ModemManager. I think it should also work out of the box on OpenWRT given it's a standard QMI or MBIM interface over USB just like the T77W968. If you can get this working over PCIe it's even better since you aren't capped by USB2.
Hikaru_

Post by Hikaru_ »

piotrKalw wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:35 am
Hello, I'm trying to build a router too with this module. Can I ask you which version of the module you have chosen? In which type of router you put the module and how is connected(pci, usb...)?
It's PCIe. But the USB hack was just publicized.
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

Hikaru_ wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:34 am
piotrKalw wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:35 am
It's PCIe. But the USB hack was just publicized.
Ohh prey tell, were can i find info on the USB hack just publicized? edit, ah i noteded some ref in above post but if there was other details would be interested in finding them

Finaly made progres on finding were settings had been moved to on my other modem so was wandering if they are hidden in another area as well...
BillA

Post by BillA »

PaddyX wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:36 pm Finaly made progres on finding were settings had been moved to on my other modem so was wandering if they are hidden in another area as well...

It's on a Russian site called 4PDA, the link below should Google translate the site automatically.
https://4pda-to.translate.goog/forum/in ... x_tr_tl=en

Specifically, click on the "Attached images" at the bottom of the post to see the mods.
You have to cover the pin in pic#1, and bridge the pads in pic#2.
https://4pda-to.translate.goog/forum/in ... y129097775
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

Many thanks, got it and will be investingating it :)
Hikaru_

Post by Hikaru_ »

PaddyX wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:44 pm Many thanks, got it and will be investingating it :)
Try AT^PCIEMODE=0. Works without soldering on a different module of mine. It's mentioned by nok3 on 4pda. (I wasn't sure if it was fine to link so I didn't link it)
Hikaru_

Post by Hikaru_ »

BillA wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:56 pm Specifically, click on the "Attached images" at the bottom of the post to see the mods.
You don't have to cover pin 3 if your adapter or m.2 slot doesn't pull it to ground btw. Also the AT command to switch from pcie mode works on the 1.0.0.9 FW in my testing. I've updated all my modules so I can't comment on anything older.
BillA

Post by BillA »

Hikaru_ wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:28 pm
BillA wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:56 pm Specifically, click on the "Attached images" at the bottom of the post to see the mods.
You don't have to cover pin 3 if your adapter or m.2 slot doesn't pull it to ground btw. Also the AT command to switch from pcie mode works on the 1.0.0.9 FW in my testing. I've updated all my modules so I can't comment on anything older.

I was just referencing that 4PDA post, showing both the hardware mod and AT commands.
Maybe newer firmware versions need the hardware mod, but I haven't tested it myself.
Hikaru_

Post by Hikaru_ »

BillA wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:52 pm I was just referencing that 4PDA post, showing both the hardware mod and AT commands.
Maybe newer firmware versions need the hardware mod, but I haven't tested it myself.
I'm just adding to the post since I've done the mod :) I've tested it on both the 1.0.0.X fw. You really only need it if pin 3 is tied to ground on your adapter/slot. It isn't a matter of firmware since this is just the config pins.
The AT^PCIEMODE=0 command seems to work though without any hardware mods on the 1.0.0.9. Haven't tested 6.0.0.6 since that's the version for a different variant of T99W175. Reference: https://github.com/fwupd/firmware-lenov ... 1260807326
fabri01

Post by fabri01 »

Hi, I’m interested in building a custom router with this cheap 5G module. I’ve found that right now this module cost about 60/70€. I read some posts, but I think things have changed through the years. How is the support in Linux right now? Do I need to patch the kernel and recompile it or is it everything ready to support the module? What should I buy to use it in Linux PC or openwrt x64? I have a desktop motherboard with pcie slot and m2 key m. What adapter do I need? Does someone has openwrt on x64 PC and is using this module as a router? What are the difference between Dell, HP, Lenovo, Foxconn?
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

fabri01 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:35 am Hi, I’m interested in building a custom router with this cheap 5G module. I’ve found that right now this module cost about 60/70€. I read some posts, but I think things have changed through the years. How is the support in Linux right now? Do I need to patch the kernel and recompile it or is it everything ready to support the module? What should I buy to use it in Linux PC or openwrt x64? I have a desktop motherboard with pcie slot and m2 key m. What adapter do I need? Does someone has openwrt on x64 PC and is using this module as a router? What are the difference between Dell, HP, Lenovo, Foxconn?
Go for the lenovo one. It has better support and driver/firware rate. There was one on that had it working on openwrt but for myself I had gone with HP and that is not as compatable so had to go the linux route. With a little bit of work it can be done!
Need to have another round with it to figure out issues on my side.. Also my location the 5g is a little odd like they just converted 4g+ so have not managed to get the modem into 5g mode yet. Again need to do another round of testing as some sims did not support it and some contacts and since last trying they have updated my other contracts to 5g covered.. (hoping to get a 5g phone soon to be able to cross check)
fabri01

Post by fabri01 »

First of all, thanks for your answer. I would like to ask a couple of questions:
1) I've found a cheaper DELL DW5930e Foxconn T99W175 X55. Is this working with OpenWRT or Linux?
2) Is your HP branded T99 not working with OpenWRT?
2) I would prefer to run the module in PCIe mode in order to get max speed. I have a desktop PC and i've found this adapter: https://www.ebay.it/itm/374929149444?mk ... media=COPY
Do you think it will work or do you have any pcie adapter to recommend me?
3) Does the AT command to put the module in USB mode without soldering works?
fabri01

Post by fabri01 »

Hikaru_ wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:33 am I found out 4pda figured out how to enable USB mode. You have to bridge the leftmost pads on the back. You might need to cover the pads for CONFIG_3 on certain adapters or boards but didn't have to on mine.
you also might want to switch it to the Thales MV31 customer id using AT^CUSTOMER=14. It's only USB2.0 so you're probably limited to under 400Mbps.

I've tested it for a bit and it works well with ModemManager. I think it should also work out of the box on OpenWRT given it's a standard QMI or MBIM interface over USB just like the T77W968. If you can get this working over PCIe it's even better since you aren't capped by USB2.
Can you explain how you did the hardware modification? Is it something difficult? Is it possible to revert the mod and return to PCIe mode?
I read that there is an AT command that can switch the module in USB mode. Which module brand have you tested it? Is it working without any hardware modifications? I have bought a Dell DW5930e and it will arrive in 3 weeks.
Transfluxor

Post by Transfluxor »

Hello guys, to enable USB 2.0, I do not recommend soldering a jumper; it is better to solder a 10-15k resistor 0402.
https://4pda.to/forum/index.php?showtop ... =129461423
If you solder the jumper and poorly insulate pin 3, you can burn the modem.
If you solder a resistor, then nothing bad will happen to the modem - if you don’t isolate pin 3, the USB simply won’t turn on because pin 3 will sit on the ground. If you need PCIe mode, then with a soldered resistor, you can simply remove the insulation from pin 3 and the USB mode will be disabled.
To insulate the pin I use polyimide tape.

Yes, there is also such a moment - for some engineering samples of T99W175 pin 3 is just ground and there is no point in touching it.
But in any case, it is better to solder a resistor.
PaddyX

Post by PaddyX »

fabri01 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:39 am First of all, thanks for your answer. I would like to ask a couple of questions:
1) I've found a cheaper DELL DW5930e Foxconn T99W175 X55. Is this working with OpenWRT or Linux?
2) Is your HP branded T99 not working with OpenWRT?
3) I would prefer to run the module in PCIe mode in order to get max speed. I have a desktop PC and i've found this adapter: https://www.ebay.it/itm/374929149444?mk ... media=COPY
Do you think it will work or do you have any pcie adapter to recommend me?
4) Does the AT command to put the module in USB mode without soldering works?
1) Linux would be better
2) Last test HP was still not working by defauil (would have to do some compiling)
3) Think have seen mention of that adapter before, If system has the stadard pci slot they expect it should work (cant guarentee)
4) As stated in the last post above: If pin 3 is grounded then it is hard set in PCI.. Most of these modems are in this format.
BillA

Post by BillA »

Transfluxor wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:35 am Hello guys, to enable USB 2.0, I do not recommend soldering a jumper; it is better to solder a 10-15k resistor 0402.
https://4pda.to/forum/index.php?showtop ... =129461423
If you solder the jumper and poorly insulate pin 3, you can burn the modem.
If you solder a resistor, then nothing bad will happen to the modem - if you don’t isolate pin 3, the USB simply won’t turn on because pin 3 will sit on the ground. If you need PCIe mode, then with a soldered resistor, you can simply remove the insulation from pin 3 and the USB mode will be disabled.
To insulate the pin I use polyimide tape.

Yes, there is also such a moment - for some engineering samples of T99W175 pin 3 is just ground and there is no point in touching it.
But in any case, it is better to solder a resistor.

Reading the translated 4PDA thread, not sure if this is the right method... correct me if I'm wrong.

The edge connector's red pin in this pic needs to be covered with either Kapton tape, or several layers of conformal coating.

Then the pins in the red circled either shorted, or better yet jumpered with a 1 Kohm resistor for safety.

Transfluxor

Post by Transfluxor »

BillA wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:21 am Reading the translated 4PDA thread, not sure if this is the right method... correct me if I'm wrong.
That's right, on the front side of the module there are odd pins from right to left - 1,3,5,7...
I would rather cover pin 3 with Kapton tape; if the USB mode is not needed, it’s easier to remove the tape. In general, I installed/removed the T99W175 modem many times (30-40 at least), the adhesive tape did not go away.
The left pin in the circle is the Vcc power supply, the right one is pin 3, which is connected inside the modem as I think to GPIO.
You can install whatever resistor you want, but even with 15k it works without problems.
There is another option to cut off the GND line from pin 3 on the USB adapter. Or additionally solder 3.3V through a resistor to pin 3 of M2 Key B cut off from GND. Then there will be no need to solder anything on the modem itself.
BillA

Post by BillA »

Transfluxor wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:01 am
BillA wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:21 am Reading the translated 4PDA thread, not sure if this is the right method... correct me if I'm wrong.
That's right, on the front side of the module there are odd pins from right to left - 1,3,5,7...
I would rather cover pin 3 with Kapton tape; if the USB mode is not needed, it’s easier to remove the tape. In general, I installed/removed the T99W175 modem many times (30-40 at least), the adhesive tape did not go away.
The left pin in the circle is the Vcc power supply, the right one is pin 3, which is connected inside the modem as I think to GPIO.
You can install whatever resistor you want, but even with 15k it works without problems.
There is another option to cut off the GND line from pin 3 on the USB adapter. Or additionally solder 3.3V through a resistor to pin 3 of M2 Key B cut off from GND. Then there will be no need to solder anything on the modem itself.

I think a 1-10K resistor would make a good protection just in case (it's TTL lines so there's no high Amps there). Plus it would allow switching between the modes easily by simply covering or removing the pin cover.
I'm just a bit confused about the modes, so with the pin covered and a short or resistor in place it's USB mode.
What' the exact name of the other mode when the pin is not covered/grounded? Is it PCI or some other funky sh*t? hehe
Any why is it that for some an AT-command is enough to switch modes?
Transfluxor

Post by Transfluxor »

BillA wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:47 am I think a 1-15K resistor would make a good protection just in case (it's TTL lines so there's no high Amps there). Plus it would allow switching between the modes easily by simply covering or removing the pin cover.
I'm just a bit confused about the modes, so with the pin covered and a short or resistor in place it's USB mode.
What' the exact name of the other mode when the pin is not covered/grounded? Is it PCI or some other funky sh*t? hehe
Any why is it that for some an AT-command is enough to switch modes?
The resistor is not installed because of the TTL line, but because of protection against a possible short circuit between Vcc and GND INSIDE the modem. If there is low resistance, the resistor will heat up. It’s up to you to decide.
Regarding the modem configuration commands, you yourself gave a link to 4pda. It’s all written there, I’m too lazy to explain it here.
fabri01

Post by fabri01 »

geraigerai wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:45 am
eskaryo wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:07 pm I really should just pony up like PaddyX and build my own OpenWRT release and fixup the module but I'm really being lazy and idealistic and don't want to spend the time on it nor do I want to have an OpenWRT instance with kernel headers and gcc bloating it all up. Anyway, here's to hoping that script does the trick!
I've built Openwrt with the power patch and 6.1 kernel.It was not that hard and long (perhaps the first time compile took a bit longer) and some time to figure out how to apply the patch via quilt.
Though I'm still waiting for my T99W175 to arrive, I've flashed the image to new mini pc and plugged the USB with T77W968 - all well.
Can you explain the steps to build Openwrt image with the power patch?
fabri01

Post by fabri01 »

Hikaru_ wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:26 pm
PaddyX wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:44 pm Many thanks, got it and will be investingating it :)
Try AT^PCIEMODE=0. Works without soldering on a different module of mine. It's mentioned by nok3 on 4pda. (I wasn't sure if it was fine to link so I didn't link it)
Hi, in which brand version of the module did you tried the AT^PCIEMODE=0?
I bought a Dell DW5930e and I would like to know if it is possible to use in USB mode without having to do the hardware modifications
BillA

Post by BillA »

fabri01 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:48 am
Hikaru_ wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:26 pm
Hi, in which brand version of the module did you tried the AT^PCIEMODE=0?
I bought a Dell DW5930e and I would like to know if it is possible to use in USB mode without having to do the hardware modifications

Just try the AT-command and if it's not switching to USB mode then you need to make the hardware mod.
fabri01

Post by fabri01 »

I've received the module and I am trying to get it working in OpenWRT and debian. Right now both of them show this error in dmesg:

mhi-pci-generic 0000:06:10.0: MHI PCI device found: foxcom-sdx55
mhi-pci-generic 0000:06:10.0: BAR 0: assigned Imem 0xc1600000-0xc1600fff 64bit]
mhi-pci-generic 0000:06:10.0: using shared MSI
mhi mhiO: Requested to power ON
mhi mhi0: Power on setup success
mhi mhi0: Direct firmware load for qcom/sdx55m/sbl.mbn failed with error -2
mhi mhiO: Falling back to sysfs fallback for: qcom/sdx55m/sbl1.mbn
mhi mhi0: Error loading firmware: -12
mhi-pci-generic 0000:06:10.0: failed to power up MHI controller
mhi-pci-generic: probe of 0000:06:10.0 failed with error -110
How can I fix it?
BillA

Post by BillA »

fabri01 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:30 am I've received the module and I am trying to get it working in OpenWRT and debian. Right now both of them show this error in dmesg:

mhi-pci-generic 0000:06:10.0: MHI PCI device found: foxcom-sdx55
mhi-pci-generic 0000:06:10.0: BAR 0: assigned Imem 0xc1600000-0xc1600fff 64bit]
mhi-pci-generic 0000:06:10.0: using shared MSI
mhi mhiO: Requested to power ON
mhi mhi0: Power on setup success
mhi mhi0: Direct firmware load for qcom/sdx55m/sbl.mbn failed with error -2
mhi mhiO: Falling back to sysfs fallback for: qcom/sdx55m/sbl1.mbn
mhi mhi0: Error loading firmware: -12
mhi-pci-generic 0000:06:10.0: failed to power up MHI controller
mhi-pci-generic: probe of 0000:06:10.0 failed with error -110
How can I fix it?

Try this command: AT^PCIEMODE=0
Repower the router/modem and check if you're still getting an error.
If yes, then try the hardware mod.
fabri01

Post by fabri01 »

I don't want to use it in USB mode, I want to use it in PCIe mode
BillA

Post by BillA »

fabri01 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:05 am

I don't want to use it in USB mode, I want to use it in PCIe mode
There's not a huge speed difference, sometimes you gotta use what works. ;)
mtl26637

Post by mtl26637 »

FCC locked? Did you make sure to unlock? Pretty sure we've covered how to in this thread at some point. I know its in one of the T99W175 threads here on site. Check ModemManager FCC unlock procedure page for specifics. Anytime you see MHI power up failure its more than likely something to do with the FCC lock.
eskaryo

Post by eskaryo »

I used to get that power-up issue on my VM too, I don't think that is necessarily directly tied to FCC Unlocking

I ended up writing a VM hook to power cycle and disconnect the modem when the VM powered up which took care of it but hell I might try USB mode anyway, that would solve some cabling frustrations

Here's that script for anyone else VM'ing this thing. You will need to update the path to whatever your actual PCI ID is

#!/bin/bash

if [ $2 == "pre-start" ]
then
    echo "modem-hookscript: Resetting Modem for Virtual Machine $1"
    echo 0 > /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000\:02\:00.0/power_state
    echo 1 > /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000\:02\:00.0/power_state
    echo 1 > /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000\:02\:00.0/remove
    echo 1 > /sys/bus/pci/rescan
fi
fabri01

Post by fabri01 »

mtl26637 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:13 pm FCC locked? Did you make sure to unlock? Pretty sure we've covered how to in this thread at some point. I know its in one of the T99W175 threads here on site. Check ModemManager FCC unlock procedure page for specifics. Anytime you see MHI power up failure its more than likely something to do with the FCC lock.
Fixed the problem. I had to execute the QTUNER AT command. Now I am able to use it in PCIe Mode reaching 500Mbit in 5G indoor.
fabri01

Post by fabri01 »

eskaryo wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:20 pm I used to get that power-up issue on my VM too, I don't think that is necessarily directly tied to FCC Unlocking

I ended up writing a VM hook to power cycle and disconnect the modem when the VM powered up which took care of it but hell I might try USB mode anyway, that would solve some cabling frustrations

Here's that script for anyone else VM'ing this thing. You will need to update the path to whatever your actual PCI ID is

#!/bin/bash

if [ $2 == "pre-start" ]
then
    echo "modem-hookscript: Resetting Modem for Virtual Machine $1"
    echo 0 > /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000\:02\:00.0/power_state
    echo 1 > /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000\:02\:00.0/power_state
    echo 1 > /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000\:02\:00.0/remove
    echo 1 > /sys/bus/pci/rescan
fi
Can you explain me better what does the script do? I imagine that I should use it in OpenWRT VM. Does the script turn off the module (PCI device) and then restart it?
fabri01

Post by fabri01 »

I have a Dell T99W175 DW5930e with T99W175.F0.1.0.0.9.GC.004.065 firmware and I am using it in PCI mode.
With 065 firmware I found a bug: I am not able to see 4CA band (20+3+7+1) with AT^CA_INFO neither with AT^DEBUG. Only three of them are shown. Is it only a graphical issue or does the module not connect with 4CA? Is this issue fixed in newer firmware version?

I have found online rev096 firmware by Lenovo and someone say that I can use Lenovo firmware on Dell, is it true? Does someone tried it?
eskaryo

Post by eskaryo »

fabri01 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:49 am I have found online rev096 firmware by Lenovo and someone say that I can use Lenovo firmware on Dell, is it true? Does someone tried it?
I may be oversimplifying this, but the take I've got on this module is that it doesn't matter who oem'd yours, you can change customer mode and it'll become the other device. Change customer to Dell and run the firmware update then change customer back to Lenovo, assuming the Lenovo mode is preferable for your connectivity
eskaryo

Post by eskaryo »

fabri01 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:54 am Can you explain me better what does the script do? I imagine that I should use it in OpenWRT VM. Does the script turn off the module (PCI device) and then restart it?
This is a hookscript which will run on your Proxmox host when your VM is power cycled through the Proxmox UI or through the console if you're a qm-er.

https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-ad ... ookscripts
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/how-t ... ost-455471

You need to determine the PCI path for your device and update the script path appropriately and then add the hookscript to your vm.conf.

Then, when your VM powers on (restarting from within the VM / OpenWRT interface is inadequate) Proxmox will execute this scripting, resetting the power state for the modem so when the VM comes online there is no power-on failure due to the module already being powered on.

As the author of the script- it's a piss-poor excuse for building the module in the way that PaddyX has. I have a lot of technical interests but every time I think to myself gee I'll just go build openwrt from scratch I somehow have another endeavor that becomes 1000000x more interesting and I drop it.
fabri01

Post by fabri01 »

eskaryo wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:28 pm
fabri01 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:49 am I have found online rev096 firmware by Lenovo and someone say that I can use Lenovo firmware on Dell, is it true? Does someone tried it?
I may be oversimplifying this, but the take I've got on this module is that it doesn't matter who oem'd yours, you can change customer mode and it'll become the other device. Change customer to Dell and run the firmware update then change customer back to Lenovo, assuming the Lenovo mode is preferable for your connectivity
So if I have Dell module and I want to install Lenovo firmware, do I need to change customer or do I just install the firmware without having to change customer?
eskaryo

Post by eskaryo »

I would expect attempting to run a firmware update while the module is not in the right customer state to fail.

Return to “Misc Modem Cards and Dongles”