(Another) need advice on best antennas?

Questions and Support related to Antennas & Cables
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related issues PRIOR to posting for assistance.
RockyinNM

(Another) need advice on best antennas?

Post by RockyinNM »

Another newbie needing advice. Here we go again, lol

I have a WE826-T2 router, with the 7455 modem, I'm running a Verizon sim card (unlimited) I did NOT build the router!!
It is running great, but now it's time to take it up a notch!-I'm running the stock 2X50W 38dBi 50ohm 700-2700 MHz SMA Glue Rod Omni Antennas that came supplied with it.

Now, about my home/area--home has concrete walls, and a metal roof, the window opening is 90 degrees from the tower.
The tower is 8 miles LOS, and approximately 1000' higher than home--not a twig between us!!
And download speeds of--
I do not know how to put the screen shots in proper order-sorry--I have a weboost type amplifier with a Yagi wideband looking at the tower, with flat panel inside antenna--here are the speedtest with AMP turned on. Of course the better results are with AMP on.
I seem to be on band (b4) one time I saw (band 13) only once. The tower is the only one around, It has Verizon, and Tmobile on it.

OK-here is my question, would it be better to target (band 4) (2100/2700)--and go with a narrow type band antenna--I will of course discontinue use of the weboost in the office.
thanks, Rocky
swwifty

Re: (Another) need advice on best antennas?

Post by swwifty »

honestly, that's really good for just little omni antennas.

I wouldn't change it, if it's not broken. An external or bigger antenna isn't going to get you a stronger signal than you already have, based on those signal stats you shared.
RockyinNM

Post by RockyinNM »

Darn, not what I wanted to hear! Of course I have the need for speed!!
What are the (thoughts) or downfalls of installing antennas about 2' above--and aiming across a metal roof, for about 10'.
I have a hip type roof, metal of course!
Many thanks for your reply, and any others that may have any suggestions, Rocky

PS: I would love to get me some mimo speed! lol
swwifty

Post by swwifty »

Usually I try to avoid shooting over top of a metal roof, cause normally metal roofs cause reflections and multipath issues (I've had to deal with this as I have a metal roof as well).

That being said, only way to know for sure is to try it. I think based on your other posts you're already getting pretty good performance, so honestly I don't think external antennas are gonna give you that much of a boost. No way to know that for sure, i'm just talking based on my experience.
RockyinNM

Post by RockyinNM »

Thank you so much--as I have mentioned before, very new to this hobby! And necessity for many!
I have been using for many years the (older) type weboost-with adjustable (+-) with Cradlepoint MBR95, with Pantech 290/295 modems--and getting DLS of around 40 mps--but with my 4g, tablet tethered, I would get speeds of 60 mps.
I'm getting 60 mps right now so I can't complain--will keep the board advised of my progress.
many thanks to ALL, Rocky
ps: NOT a techkie, but always trying to learn!

Return to “Questions and Support”