Bandit WG1608 / T-Mobile SIM - Can't connect to service

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
Kirros
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Bandit WG1608 / T-Mobile SIM - Can't connect to service

Post by Kirros »

Hello!

I am trying to set up a new WG1608-5G router with a T-Mobile SIM card and having issues getting internet/signal. I set it up following these steps so far saving after each step:
  • 1. Set password
    2. Sync time with browser/set timezone
    3. Set APN to fast.t-mobile.com
    4. set TTL to 64 (was seller's recommendation, but I have since tried other TTL's with no success)
Specs
Model: Bandit WG1608
Architecture: MediaTek MT7621 ver:1 eco:3
Firmware Version: GoldenOrb_2021-09-24
Kernel Version: 5.4.124

It does recognize the SIM and shows SIM IMCI & ICCID under Modem >> Network Status >> Modem/SIM Info. It doesn't seem to be able to register to a network. The SIM works fine in a phone. I am unsure of how to debug further, so any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Didneywhorl

Re: Bandit WG1608 / T-Mobile SIM - Can't connect to service

Post by Didneywhorl »

Which modem?

Never heard of Bandit. What do they say?
Kirros

Post by Kirros »

The modem is a Quetcel RM502Q-AE. Apologies for not including that in my initial post.

Have not had much luck yet on support from the seller, as of right now they've said my SIM must not have a data plan. Which it does; I can plug the SIM into a phone and use data, make calls, etc.

Also forgot to mention, the router worked fine when I plugged in an AT&T SIM and set APN to 'broadband'. But no luck with the T-Mobile SIM.
MattB29

Post by MattB29 »

Kirros wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:17 pm The modem is a Quetcel RM502Q-AE. Apologies for not including that in my initial post.

Have not had much luck yet on support from the seller, as of right now they've said my SIM must not have a data plan. Which it does; I can plug the SIM into a phone and use data, make calls, etc.

Also forgot to mention, the router worked fine when I plugged in an AT&T SIM and set APN to 'broadband'. But no luck with the T-Mobile SIM.
Having a phone plan with data is not the same as having a stand alone data plan. Your T-Mobile plan is likely blocking you when it detects that it is not in a phone.
Kirros

Post by Kirros »

MattB29 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:03 pm Having a phone plan with data is not the same as having a stand alone data plan. Your T-Mobile plan is likely blocking you when it detects that it is not in a phone.
Okay, thanks for the clarification. I was only trying to use my phone's SIM until I could make it by the store to get a new one and assumed it wasn't working because I configured something incorrectly.

If that's the case though I'll stop trying, for now, don't want an angry message from T-Mobile.

Thanks for the help
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Might work if you mask the imei, google that, and make sure the modem is in MBIM mode as well as you have IPV4 and IPV6 TTL/HL set to 65.
shaneomac182

Post by shaneomac182 »

I have a phone line plan activated with my RM502Q-AE + WG1608. I had to force it to LTE and use the at+cgdcont=1,"IP","fast.t-mobile.com" APN. 65 is the right TTL

Return to “General and Unclassified”