Building Home WI-FI

Questions and Support related to Antennas & Cables
Forum rules
Use the SEARCH function for related issues PRIOR to posting for assistance.
Clong2013
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Building Home WI-FI

Post by Clong2013 »

Hello everyone,

I am new to this community and found the Facebook Group which brought me to this website. Anyway, I am currently in a rural area near two lakes and only get around 2 bars on my AT&T service. The download speed is roughly about 2-3mbps on a good day sometimes less than 1mbps both download and uploads. It’s bad enough where iMessages struggle to send unless I am connected to WI-FI. My WIFI provider is CenturyLink and it is DSL at a cap speed of 3mbps.

There are zero internet providers, cable, fiber or anything that offers service in our area. I have tried T-Mobile Home Internet and same issue. I want to purchase an external antenna that can increase my speeds to at least something around 25mbps+ range if not more!

I have attached the map of my house and the nearest AT&T tower and another attachment with that tower information. What hardware do I need to setup a home Wi-Fi network using AT&T tower and unlimited data? What is the best external antenna to use when I have trees surrounding the area?

Thank you!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Didneywhorl

Re: Building Home WI-FI

Post by Didneywhorl »

Welcome!

You could add an antenna to the Tmobile home internet. This one is perfect as it has all 4 antenna ports: https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/anten ... onnectors/

For ATT, the current thing is the AT unlimited ipad plan, you can get it as a stand alone plan. It is not the same as the "Unlimited for iPad".

For hardware, all of the router bundles on thewirelesshaven will work both with outdoor antennas if you do need them, and with the ATT tablet plans.

https://thewirelesshaven.com/product-ca ... r-bundles/

I like the NEX5GO-GO with MC7411 for a good all round unit that is pretty budget friendly. The NEXQ6GO if you want a lower price bundle. The NEXP1GO router with a higher end modem has been my gigabit ethernet go to that can be powered via PoE.

If that is all total greek, then just head to the router bundles and pick the one that matches your budget. That's the simplest. They can also assemble and pre-configure it for you if you add it to your bundle.

Putting it together with all the info here on this forum isn't hard though. For now ATT seems to be the easiest there is.
MattB29

Post by MattB29 »

I suggest before buying anything that you do a lot of research. For one is to understand the terms so that confusion is minimized. It also can save you money in the end.

You might set up a home Wi-Fi but that is simply a short range setup from a wireless router at your home. It does not supply you a internet connection. Getting an internet provider requires either a wired or wireless modem. Since you are looking into having a wireless internet provider you can either use a cell phone, or a standalone device like a mobile hotspot, or the wireless modem/router with WiFi.

I will assume your present speeds from AT&T that you mention is on your phone. While that tells you that you can get AT&T signal it really may not tell much without knowing the quality of the phone and its modem. From your post I notice that it says Band 12 this is something to keep in mind. AT&T wireless has several bands and also width of bands to deal with. Band 12 is a lower frequency band and tend to be easiest to pick up. However because it is most common it is also the slowest usually due to congestion.

Wireless modems are rated by Cat numbers (Cat 4, 6, 18 and such) Higher Cat numbers provide higher speed possibility generally, total Bands receivable and CA (carrier aggregation) also. Along with that is MIMO which determines numbers of antennas used. Such as 2 or 4.

You might find it easiest to test the waters at your place by buying a simple mobile hotspot and a prepaid data plan. Both AT&T and Cricket offer these for a reasonable amount.
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Would try to get the T-Mobile home internet to work. It is legit and truly unlimited.
Dr-BroadBand

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

Some excellent advice posted.

Antenna selection can be an art form, with a lot of trial and error and cash.

Do your homework, keep your cables very short!

What iPhone 📱 are you using?

See link for clues
https://youtu.be/xzqkoPL9t9A

https://youtu.be/IddB63xWT7A

https://youtu.be/wXSpbP8NuWw
MattB29

Post by MattB29 »

I may be misreading the OP. But it seems to say he can not get T-Mobile at his location. I also did not see any mention of phone type.
Dr-BroadBand

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

“ I have tried T-Mobile Home Internet and same issue”

There are tricks to get the t-Mobile gateway to work better.

Opening it up to add pigtails to an external antenna.

Replacing the wall wart switching power supply with a better quality power supply can help with the Signal to noise.
mtl26637

Post by mtl26637 »

In situations like yours I think the ultimate goal would be to get an external antenna up as high as you possibly can. Best bet is above the tree line with direct line of site to the tower. In determining which antenna I would start with the provider and cellmapper. Use cellmapper to get an idea of the available bands from your specific carriers tower and then you will know which bands/frequencies you are after. Your speeds are going to depend on the distance to the tower and the obstacles in between which affects the most important parameter noise (SINR). It all depends on budget and effort. Best case scenario would be an external enclosure with modem inside mounted outside with an external antenna.
Dr-BroadBand

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

See link of an example of a PoE enclosure.

https://youtu.be/-SbNkn1161s

https://youtu.be/WMhEMOqNNwQ
Labilis

Post by Labilis »

Dr-BroadBand wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:00 pm Replacing the wall wart switching power supply with a better quality power supply can help with the Signal to noise.
Do you have any power supplies you would recommend?
Clong2013

Post by Clong2013 »

gscheb wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:52 pm Would try to get the T-Mobile home internet to work. It is legit and truly unlimited.
Thanks, I gave them a try before but had no difference in speeds, I was averaging 2-3mbps per second. I did not use any external antennas, if I were to try this again, what antenna would be recommended?
MattB29 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:30 am I may be misreading the OP. But it seems to say he can not get T-Mobile at his location. I also did not see any mention of phone type.
I have an iPhone 11 Pro Max at the moment with AT&T Unlimited Elite plan. I still get zero data speeds where I live, but I am able to make phone calls just fine.
Clong2013

Post by Clong2013 »

Didneywhorl wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:48 am Welcome!

You could add an antenna to the Tmobile home internet. This one is perfect as it has all 4 antenna ports: https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/anten ... onnectors/

For ATT, the current thing is the AT unlimited ipad plan, you can get it as a stand alone plan. It is not the same as the "Unlimited for iPad".

For hardware, all of the router bundles on thewirelesshaven will work both with outdoor antennas if you do need them, and with the ATT tablet plans.

https://thewirelesshaven.com/product-ca ... r-bundles/

I like the NEX5GO-GO with MC7411 for a good all round unit that is pretty budget friendly. The NEXQ6GO if you want a lower price bundle. The NEXP1GO router with a higher end modem has been my gigabit ethernet go to that can be powered via PoE.

If that is all total greek, then just head to the router bundles and pick the one that matches your budget. That's the simplest. They can also assemble and pre-configure it for you if you add it to your bundle.

Putting it together with all the info here on this forum isn't hard though. For now ATT seems to be the easiest there is.
I'm going to have a lot of questions but what exactly is being assembled? Does this require taking apart hardware, soldering, and other assembly methods?

This looks more complicated then simply plugging a antenna into a modem/router and wa-la!

That is okay though, I am learning and that is why I am here!

I don't want to spend a crazy amount of money. I really just need it broken down to what hardware I am going to need.

I assume a Router, Modem, an Antenna and a service?

I purchased this antenna from Amazon, it has not arrived yet so it can be canceled you don't recommend it.

https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Fixed ... 218&sr=8-3

If you do recommend it, what router/modem can I use with it? I was going to use this.. but I don't know if that antenna is linked up to the NightHawk?

As you can tell I'm looking for lots of answers before I spend insane amounts of money on trial and error.

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthaw ... 286&sr=8-2

I am basically trying to understand the setup.

In my mind its Antenna > Router/Modem > WiFi
gscheb

Post by gscheb »

Clong2013 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:44 pm Thanks, I gave them a try before but had no difference in speeds, I was averaging 2-3mbps per second. I did not use any external antennas, if I were to try this again, what antenna would be recommended?
Do you still have the T-Mobile home internet? Or did you send it back? An outdoor antenna can really make the difference for sure. On all LTE set ups.
MattB29

Post by MattB29 »

Clong2013 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:56 pm

Well sorta of but the details are Antennas (if MIMO), proper connectors for cable, the run of 50 ohm cable to your modem, cable connectors to the device containing the modem (could also be a router/wifi unit), and from there either wired or wireless to whatever device you use.

So when you source an antenna like you mention from Amazon you will need to also look at how it all connects so that you do not spend extra on adapters if possible. The more connectors the more you drop the gain.

Also understand that phone plans will have restrictions when it comes to being used in a data only device. People get around various restrictions by using certain hacks but they are always subject to the Carrier shutting you down.
Dr-BroadBand

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

Dr-BroadBand

Post by Dr-BroadBand »

Clong2013 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:56 pm If you do recommend it, what router/modem can I use with it? I was going to use this.. but I don't know if that antenna is linked up to the NightHawk?

Would use cation buying off the self items and using Amazon.

Would be better to get you hardware from the LTE Store. As they can help with tech support and questions you will have.
Also of the off the self-modems often lack the controls you will need like band locking and TTL

TTL (time to live) is a setting that tells the DNS resolver how long to cache a query before requesting a new one. This helps to tricking the modem to look like a phone or iPad.

The hardest thing on your setup will be your SIM/Data Plan

https://thewirelesshaven.com/product-ca ... es/page/2/
Didneywhorl

Post by Didneywhorl »

Clong2013 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:56 pm I'm going to have a lot of questions but what exactly is being assembled? Does this require taking apart hardware, soldering, and other assembly methods?

This looks more complicated then simply plugging a antenna into a modem/router and wa-la!

That is okay though, I am learning and that is why I am here!

I don't want to spend a crazy amount of money. I really just need it broken down to what hardware I am going to need.

I assume a Router, Modem, an Antenna and a service?

I purchased this antenna from Amazon, it has not arrived yet so it can be canceled you don't recommend it.

https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Fixed ... 218&sr=8-3

If you do recommend it, what router/modem can I use with it? I was going to use this.. but I don't know if that antenna is linked up to the NightHawk?

As you can tell I'm looking for lots of answers before I spend insane amounts of money on trial and error.

It's not all that difficult really. Just a few phillips screws, plug in the modem, or modem and adapter, then maybe change out the antenna pigtails if needed (8mm socket, finger snug). The settings aren't bad either, configurations are abound on here.

The Amazon antenna I haven't used, but I haven't heard tons of rave reviews. Overall if you got it, try it. The High Beam X2 would be more powerful and is a tried and true antenna with no excessive marketing mumbo. It just works really good.
Clong2013

Post by Clong2013 »

OK this is the setup I am looking into purchasing. Please let me know if there are any adapters or other things that I will need to purchase to get this thing going. I know I will need to contact AT&T for the plan.

Also I see that the antenna has two connectors on the back of it. Do I need to purchase two separate cables to feed to the router/modem or do I need to get just one cable and connect it to a splitter.
Thanks!
punkguy00017

Post by punkguy00017 »

What internal modem do u have ?
Clong2013

Post by Clong2013 »

punkguy00017 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:47 pm What internal modem do u have ?
None doesn’t that router I linked have one built in?
punkguy00017

Post by punkguy00017 »

Yes it does and those antennas are freaking awesome I have 2 of them

Return to “Questions and Support”