ASUS Router + Tethering Questions

ROUTER Topics that are general or unclassified in nature, or does not belong elsewhere
Forum rules
Please assure there is not an existing forum and topic related to your post
Xyphon112
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

ASUS Router + Tethering Questions

Post by Xyphon112 »

Hi all,

I have an interesting set of situations happening:

First - I'm trying to use my ASUS RT-AC3100 as a wireless router to tether for an unlimited tablet LTE signal as a home wifi system. I've changed the JFFS partition through PuTTY to allow the TTL to not read as a hotspot. The weird thing is that when I plug in my Android phone and connect the device as tethering, the router reads the device, sees it and will go into USB Secondary WAN mode and there's internet on that wifi channel. With the tablet, a TCL TAB 8 on Verizon, it doesn't even see the tablet when it's in tethering mode. I've tried changing the primary WAN to USB only, Dual WAN ON with primary as USB, secondary as WAN and vice versa, plugging into USB 2.0 and 3.0, a few other things I can't remember and nothing seems to work. No idea what's going on here - any ideas? It's a brand new tablet, updated and fully charged.

Second - since the above tethering situation doesn't work I turned the router into repeater mode to just extend the LTE signal of the tablet. My question here is, will the aforementioned change to the JFFS partition keep the router from broadcasting in hotspot mode and therefore using hotspot data? If not, is there a way to use PDAnet+ to hide the tethering/hotspot usage through repeater mode?

Return to “General and Unclassified”